2000 Utah: buying add a room

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by whitbail, Sep 28, 2021.

1. whitbail

whitbail New Member

Hi there,
    First pop up we’ve owned. We have the awning, I measured the bag at 11’4” roughly so I think it’s an 11’ awning. I found a used 11’ add a room kit that I want to buy. I’m just not sure if there is more information that I have to confirm for fit aside from the length of the awning. Can I really just buy an 11’ add a room kit and pop it on my camper?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Every add a room is attached to the awning differently. Some are attached with zippers and others may be attached by Velcro. I’m not sure what awning you have on your camper or if it has attachments on it. If you know what bag awning you have or even the name of the awning you may be able to do a search for add a rooms. With that said if you found a really cheap add a room being sold I personally would figure out how to attach it and modify it to work on the existing awning. That’s just me.
    Truth be told though I wouldn’t even bother with an add a room. They are a big hassle to setup, you may find you may not even want to bother with it on some trips. Not to mention if gosh forbid a storm was to roll in and you have to immediately put your awning away to protect it that is an extra step to worry about. To each their own. I personally use a separate screen room that can set up in under two min and can me moved to wherever I have room at camp. My campsites are all over the place in size and sometimes I can’t even deploy the awning because of a poorly placed trees.

3. whitbail

whitbail New Member

Not buying it at all because of the hassle of setting it up is actually a really good point. I just always loved the look in the old ads. But $200 for a whole kit and then to hate it? Idk now.
    Ours is Velcro.

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We had an AAR with the Bayside and only set it up if we were going to be on a site
    3 or more days. It was great for the extra room and if the weather was poor or buggy it was a wonderful refuge. The setup took an extra 20 minutes or so, tear down and put away could take 30 minutes (cuz it NEVER went back in the bag the same way :) ). On the other hand we have a friend who always put up up the AAR, every trip, and just considered it part of the setup. He had it down to a science. For $200 I would consider buying it and giving it a try. You can always resell it if you don't like it.

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Used my AAR on most trips and loved it. Once you get serup/ teardown experience they're easy to deploy/pack. My 04 UTAH was velcro on the awning. Just check the edges on yours and ask seller if theirs has zippers or velcro on to edge.
    For 200 I'd jump on it.

whitbail likes this.
  6. whitbail

whitbail New Member

I messaged the seller to ask if he knew if it would work with my Utah. He said even though my awning bag measures 11’4” and the awning is about 11’ that it’s actually a 12’ awning and I need a 12’ add a room kit. I don’t know enough to not believe him. Anyone know if this is true?

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Have no clue, but the coleman ones had a skirt that attached to the camper also. The add a room was hard and screen sidded. A screen room was difrent I belive. If yours is a diffrent camper, that skirt peice probably will not fit. The add a rooms are hard to find, at least the original ones. 200$ is cheap. What are you buying exacrly? Brand also would help. Its almost impossible for anyone to know if it will fit if they dont know what your getting. There are aftermarket ones also.

8. whitbail

whitbail New Member

A Coleman burgundy screen room which he said is 11’ it’s the walls that have stripes on the bottom and screen on the top that attach to the awning in the old ads. The burgundy matches my Coleman Utah curtains so I was even more excited.

9. Sjm9911

I think they had 19, 17 and 15 foot boxes. If the one your getting comes off a same demention box , i would think you could make it work.

10. whitbail

whitbail New Member

I called Coleman Pop Up Parts to ask if they knew. The girl asked me to measure my rail which is 11’5” and she said so if it’s 11’5” my awning would have to be less than that to fit, which it is. This is the original awning too. So I’m thinking this screen room should fit.

myride and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

They would know. As they buy and sell used stuff.

12. whitbail

whitbail New Member

Yea, I took the plunge. I’m pretty excited to get it. I really hope it works and if not, reselling it is a great idea.

myride and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have an AAR on mine, factory model. On mine it uses velcro at the front, and sleeves for the side rafter poles. It is a slight pain to set up - I only bother with it for extended stays. I set up my kitchen under the awning since I rely on the lpg port and splitters off the main tanks. It does get hot under there in the summer though. I rig a fan to keep me cool while cooking, but it can be pretty brutal when it is 100+ outside. Mine has the drop down panels for rain which is nice, but the whole thing is made from the same material as the pup canvas so pretty heavy and bulky/difficult to fold. If you have rain you need to let it air out and dry when you get home, just like the pup canvas, otherwise you will get mildew.

They are really nice for extended stays. I used to do a week+ in the summer with my son, and for that it was ideal.

Sjm9911 and whitbail like this.
  14. whitbail

whitbail New Member

I’m really trying to put ours back together with its original items so if this works it’ll be a nice step in that direction.

myride likes this.
  15. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

"the awning is about 11’ that it’s actually a 12’ awning and I need a 12’ add a room kit."
    That is true. But the awning is called 12' so a 12' screen room (or Add A Room*) would work
    "If yours is a diffrent camper, that skirt peice probably will not fit." My skirt was such a PITA we would use a piece of plastic and painters tape (to attach the plastic to the camper) instead of fighting with the skirt. The Velcro that attached to the camper for the skirt did not stay stuck to the camper, the hook and loops got covered in road goop, it just got nasty.
    *An Add A Room has screens and plastic windows and roll down 'shades', made of the awning material, a screen room is just screen, no plastic windows or 'shades'. Looks like this with the 'shade' down.
    upload_2021-9-29_9-23-51.jpeg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

You could always repace the velcro and leave it stuck together. Remove the outer peice to attach your skirt. That will keep the gunk out. Dosent help with the non sticking though.

friartuck likes this.
  17. whitbail

whitbail New Member

So after speaking with the seller on the phone he explained that the name of the awning is larger than it actually is. I have an 11’-ish awning but it is called a “12’ awning” so the screen room kit he is selling is called “11’” but it is meant to fit on an awning measuring a little over 10.’ If anyone has that, He’s selling it on eBay. Its burgundy stripe and a great price.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Add a rooms, love them or hate them, there's not much middle ground. Personally I loved the one on our PUP. It was the biggest feeling of lose when we sold it and bought the HTT, I was fortunate to find one them fit the awning on it shortly after buying. They are a bit of a bother to setup, but once you get your method it really isn't that bad. The first time I ran out of curse words and about an hour later I finally had it done. Once I figured out my method it only added about 15 minutes to the setup time, 30 minutes if DW helped, or 10 minutes if she when to the bathroom and the boys helped. The screen add a room is where we cooked and hung out if it was raining. Rain is where the awning with a enclosure really shines. Many people prefer a stand alone, but you have to go through the rain getting from the PUP to the shelter and back. Without the awning you will have mud being tracked in when it's raining.

Tip 1
    When attaching the room deploy the awning and attach the room to it with the roof raised no more than shoulder high. With roof fully raised you will be needing a ladder to to work from. Trust me, you will not be happy.

Tip 2
    Get a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe and two tennis balls. Cut the pipe to be long enough to lift the center of the awning a couple inches higher than the ends. Cut a hole in the balls to insert each end of the pipe. This will prevent water ponding in the middle.

I can only comment on the Dometic brand because thats what we had. They withstand more wind than more people give them credit for when attached and tied down correctly. Ours went through many thunderstorms and it was used in the wind at Oregon Inlet on the OBX.

Rose Anne Anderson and whitbail like this.
  19. whitbail

whitbail New Member

This is awesome information and experience to learn from! Thank you! I’ll still be searching for the enclosure for ours!

20. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I briefly considered an Add-a-Room for my 2015 Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G, but after several trips I decided against it for the following reasons:

• It already takes enough time to set up the trailer, and even more to take it all down again.
    • I've already had my awning nearly taken out by wind. An add-a-room would be more difficult to secure in windy conditions, I think.
    • I've found that a 10x10 straight leg steel frame canopy takes five minutes to set up, and a little longer to stow, and lets me put the shelter where I need it instead of always against the side of the popup. My 10x10 canopy has three side panels I can optionally install. They allow me to achieve pretty good shelter from both sun and sideways rain. It's pretty easy to stake it out. And if the worst happens and a storm ruins it, I can replace it for less than $100.
    Where an add-a-room would shine:
    • Places that don't get wind.
    • Places where bugs are a tremendous factor.
    • You have more kids than room in the trailer -- set up cots inside the add-a-room
    • It rains... all... the... time.
    • You camp for a week. ...because I wouldn't want to set one up for a 3-day trip.