2001 Coleman Bayside Elite

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by kmbarreiros, Oct 6, 2017.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The axle is supposed to have a bend to it, upward when mounted correctly on the trailer.

2. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Ahh ok
    So how does that work when people do an axle flip?
    Does that cause a problem?

3. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Will post a picture later but this weekend I got the axle all wrapped upped and reinstalled.(No axle flip)
    Installed new bearings, races, grease and axle U-bolts.
    Will get new tires when this gets more complete.
    I feel this thing is going to start finally moving along.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="kmbarreiros, post: 1281239, member: 61154"
    I feel this thing is going to start finally moving along.[/QUOTE]
    The axel will help it move! :D

5. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Got a little done today.
    Ended up removing the front floor that I put and replaced it with something different since my plans for the front box area has changed again. I also now have the correct thickness replacement flooring.
    Front
    20190614_155129.jpg 20190614_155131.jpg
    Rear
    20190614_165608.jpg 20190614_165628.jpg 20190614_165633.jpg 20190614_165636.jpg
    The interior is completely cleaned out, had to remove the rollers for the bump out.
    I hope this weekend to finish the floor so I can start working on the walls. I already have new linoleum to put down also.

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  6. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Added some scabbing(I think this is the right term) underneath to tie the old floor and the new floor together. Then filled in the seem with construction adhesive.
    While working I did find the floor by the fridge vents is pretty soft about 6" to the edge. I think I am going to leave it maybe just throw a thin piece of plywood down and call it a day. I really want to put down the new linoleum and get the front and back walls up.
    I need to try and get one massive tarp that I can put over this. I am using 3 different tarps to keep it dry.

bookooc likes this.
  7. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Replaced the last rotted section (behind the fridge).
    Was hoping to get more done but the weather was not cooperating.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

At least you are still keeping at it. Keep posting all that you are doing. I have had to put my rebuilding on hold as well but hope to get back into it soon.

9. someguyinnorthcarolina

someguyinnorthcarolina Active Scouter, new to the Popup World

Indeed! I have the exact same camera and really appreciate all the info you are sharing, as I may be attempting much the same repairs (I have the same rotted floor area as you just fixed).

10. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Got some work done this weekend still seems like its going slow though.
    -New linoleum floor in and glued.
    -Reinstalled the brackets and rollers for the bump out.
    -Installed a new rear wall and remounted the rear plastic portions of the popup.
    -Lastly reran the rear parking/directional light wires to run directly into the rear plastic cover(rather then through the interior floor) then into the rear wall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Tiki-Dan and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks great!

12. Tiki-Dan

Tiki-Dan New Member

We have the same camper.. only floor rot we have found so far is up front in the storage box where the former owner bonked it on something and busted the right front corner. The corner of the floor was replaced (very poorly) and the side wall is rotten as well since the access door doesn’t shut all the way. I will probably be gutting everything anyway in order to replace the floor vinyl and rebuild some of the cabinets with real wood. I love your progress! Keep posting updates.

kmbarreiros likes this.
  13. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Thanks more progress should be coming soon, was on vacation in Portugal for the last 3 weeks.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

We are pretty close in the remodel phase. I have the new deck down, and need to get the Vinyl down next. Any pro tips? did you use any adhesive, or double sided tape at the entrance? I am using a flooring from Menards by IVC US called Midland timber (sku7291016) its a rustic gray 2 1/4 wood look. I bought double sided adhesive tape to put by the entrance, and maybe one or two strips down the middle of the main isle.

Also i am including a link to my post. you can see the storage box I was able to get made to finish the front.
    http://popupportal.com/threads/2001-coleman-utah-grand-touring-remodel.124150/

15. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Scotty boy,
    Just posted on your thread.
    Keep those pictures going.
    I think this Sat I may be able to pull mine out and get the front wall and new ceiling gasket installed.(Was supposed to chaperone a youth group event but it sounds like it will only be girls so I will not need to be there.)
    I am getting so frustrated, there is so much going on and this thing just keeps getting shoved aside.

16. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Well the super super slow progress continues ready for the bump out to be reinstalled.
    Hope to get the fridge and cabinetry around fridge installed tomorrow.
    And work on the front wall.

Attached Files:

jnc likes this.
  17. Dude

Dude [URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/semperfi2tl

Wow your doing a great job on your build, been there done that project. I know it take a bunch of time to get to the finish line, but keep moving forward the rewards will be great. I did a project very Similar to yours and once finished I was very happy with the results. Keep the pictures coming. God speed.

18. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Had to move the popup out of the driveway and back into storage(the side of the house) for the time being.
    Father in-law needs to work on his camper. I did get the bump out reinstalled and noticing a major problem that will need addressing. When the bump out is pushed in the part inside is dragging on the floor(I put cardboard down to not ruin the floor). I know that I can adjust the rollers to push up on it. But I have an idea of maybe getting some casters and mounting them on the inside underneath the bumpout to help support it when it is being rolled in and out.
    Any ideas?
    Anyone else have this problem?