2001 coleman Utah Grand Touring remodel

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Scotty boy, May 25, 2019.

1. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

So it begins. My wife and I bought this camper knowing we were going to have to redo the top. Just before we sealed the deal we noticed the rear end panel coming a little loose. Didn't see any big deal with fixing it. Truth be told I planned on redoing the floor anyway, so didn't think much of it.

Now we are full on taking it down to the frame. We spent a few days just getting the cabinets out and down to the floor. Only regret so far is not taking my time pulling the refrigerator out. I kinked the gas line.

I plan on building a front box and fiber-glassing over it. I have never done fiberglass, so whether I gel coat it, or paint the grizzly grip like the roof i'm not sure yet.

we still need to finish taking the floor out, then wire brush, and repaint. Then finish the roof, then start putting the floor back in.

Attached Files:

JesterVII likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You are looking at quite a bit of work, but it will be worth the time, effort and money to do the job correctly and it sounds like you are on the right track. Good Luck with the project

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

Ok just a quick update.
    Roof
    We have the roof done, with A/C installed. This took several coats of Bondo before putting the grizzly grip down. I ended up using a 12" drywall knife to spread out the grizzly grip and then rolled to get an even finish. After the last coat there were still some pin hole's in areas on the top that we didn't fill with Bondo. I had one extra jar of GG and that filled them in. Like I read somewhere else, I wish I would have put a skim coat of Bondo on the entire top. But i have no regrets from taking off the top shell.

Frame/Floor
    The Frame has been wire brushed and repainted. I cut 4 pieces of 4x8 5/8 Exterior grade plywood for the deck replacement. I put the seam off center to limit the seam from being in the main portion of the isle. The floor joists do have a really big span, and movement between each panel. To solve this I plan on bolting 3" wide Aluminum channel between the seams. The C-Channel will act like an I beam to help support between the floor joists as well. I coated the top with Thompson wood sealer, and used flex seal on the bottom and edges (I plan on putting a pic up soon of the finished floor).

Front Storage
    I worked with a company that I paid to make the front storage box out of aluminum. That is shipping this week, and if it works well I will post details for those who would like to purchase. either way pictures coming soon.

By the end of the month, the Front/rear and floor will be back up and running. My guess is by mid Sept we will be able to get in a trip.

deck install.jpg IMG_5587 small.jpg

JesterVII, MrsSquid, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  4. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Member

Looks great! I thought I undertook a big project with just rebuilding half of the interior of my roof, patching the floor, and rebuilding the front wall and now on to the cosmetic stuff. Cant wait to see the finished product!

5. Julie&Steve

Julie&Steve New Member

Wow we also are replacing the floor due to water damage on the bumper end, and we have to replace our storage trunk also so I’m really interested in the manufacture you use as we would definitely be seeking that product out for sure. Email address julie.hedke@comcast.net

6. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

Ok the storage box is going to be here tomorrow, so I'm motivated to finish the floor. I took some pictures of how i put C-Channel under the deck to help with the independent movement at the seams, and it also aids to prevent the 5/8 floor flexing between joists. Now the whole floor is very solid. I was also able to create an I-Beam at one location because of the way the return flanges on the joist faced each other. This happens to be right where all 4 corners come together. i plan to spray flex seal on that later.
    Also some pictures of the Storage box as a teaser that I got from the company. They are waiting to see how this goes, but may be interested in making these for others as well. I am going to get this installed and use it to make sure all the design works out, but will post later if the company is interested or not.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    megcabra, momofEAP, JesterVII and 3 others like this.
  7. Julie&Steve

Julie&Steve New Member

Scott!!! That looks amazing!!! It would really be helpful for Steve to be able to get in touch with you and go over your process, wow! And where did you get your storage box from? Steves email is skrizanowski@yahoo.com. We’re doing almost as much as you’ve had to do. Can not wait to see your finished project

8. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Wow you are doing basically everything I am doing but at a much faster pace and much better job.
    I even added the same support under the floor as in your last picture. Really like the box for the front, I am using a truck box that was given to me by my sister in-law.

Figured I would answer your question here:
    For the floor I did make a template first (leave the vinyl sheet out in the sun to get warm this will make it easier to work with).
    I then cut out the vinyl and set it down in the popup made some more final cuts before I glued it down.
    For gluing it down I screwed in a 2x4 at one end to hold it in place and then rolled it up. Spread out the glue in like 4" to 6" sections then slowly rolled out the vinyl. I also used a shorter piece of 2x4 and my kids to flatten out any bubbles and just walk on it while I was gluing it down. Be very careful when flatten it I ripped the vinyl becasue there was a staple sticking up that I missed. Luckily it is in a spot that will get covered and not seen.
    For the glue I bought the big tub of Multi-Purpose floor adhesive at my local Lowes.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Edit, I keep saying Vinyl but the floor that I put down I believe was linoleum.
    Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Take a spackle knife or puddy knife and run it on the floor before putting down the flooring. It will catch on nails and staples that stick up so you can remove them.

10. jcwells92

jcwells92 New Member

Interested in any updates on project! We have a similar pop up, Coleman Sun Valley.

11. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

Weekend progress: we filled all the bolt holes for the C-channel bolts, and cut the floor to fit. Still need to add some double sided adhesive in some areas, but I shouldn't need to adhesive this type of flooring down. There will be enough tack strips down when I put the walls in place. Also we were able to pre-fit the slide out and get the locations for all the roller stanchions. That was a big nightmare, but we were glad we did this before putting the vinyl floor down. Side note, my 15yr old son impressed me on how long he was able to hold the other side of the slide out. We must have taken it out and in like 4 times.
    As for the storage box, it arrived, and looks super fantastic. I however measured wrong on the height, and was off by 3/8" too short. My wife and I worked through a work around so its not fully installed, but it fits and is going to work GREAT!

Attached Files:

12. Sjm9911

Thats turing out too nice. And the front will be bomb proof to boot!

13. Heather capps

Heather capps New Member

We just got a new popup with the idea of completely taking off the ABS roof. there is absolutely no way to patch this. Any tips and tricks for this would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

14. Sjm9911

First i would clean it so i can see whats wrong with it!

15. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

You need to remove the AC, and bike rack. Go slow taking the outer shell off. Use wooden shims in areas that still feel solidly attached. You are trying not to dent the foam. The white caps are for the AC metal support bracket. I took the white caps off, and left the metal brackets. Also be careful of the seal edges, they are thin.
    Once you get the outer shell off spend time popping the are bubbles or opening up a little the perceived voids.

Bondo.
    Be patient. I have never done it, but was able to figure it out. Make sure you have a solid color once you mix the hardener. No streaks.
    Bondo EVERY thing. There was another post or video where the side comment was “wished we skimmed coated the top”. My wife and I were tired of the Bondo process (especially after all the rain days we had.)we talked our self out of doing the very top. We had a hard time filling the pin holes with the grizzly grip.

Also buy a good sander that hooks up to your shopvac. That was very helpful.
    I Bondoed over the support brackets and smoothed them over. You can barely tell they are there.
    Also around the clamp base seems to be a different plastic insert. I took the base plate off, filled and smoothed around that insert area. Once I drill the holes from inside out, and seal the base cleat back on you will never notice.
    Motivational words...the roof was the easiest repair!

16. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Hey Scotty,
    Was your water pump mounted under the bump out?
    If so which way was mounted?
    I never took a picture of it and now I can't remember the orientation?
    I still have the two holes in the floor but can't figure out which hole is for which inlet or outlet on the pump.

Thanks

17. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

I have a pic I just have to edit it to show. The motor is facing the driver side. If I remember correctly water flows in on the rear and out on the front of the motor

18. Scotty boy

Scotty boy New Member

Here is the pic

Attached Files:

19. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Perfect that is exactly how I put it back. I finished the wiring under the bump out so that I can get that back in there permanently.
    It has been sitting out side under a tarp for way too long.