2001 coleman Utah Grand Touring remodel

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Scotty boy, May 25, 2019.

1. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

Looking food so far!
    I’d really like to see some photos of that slide out and the hardware that makes it all work.
    I have rot I’m sure I’ll end up dealing with one day. Would be helpful to know what I’m getting into when the time comes.

2. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

The bump out is actually not that difficult to remove. You just definitely need two people it is really heavy.

Buckmaster81 likes this.
  3. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

I have not done too much research on putting my heater back in. There are two parts that come together, and it looks like they use some type of caulk or putty to seal. Is there a special heat sensitive caulk or putty I’m supposed to use?

4. Joseph Hollerbach

Joseph Hollerbach New Member

The front storage looks AMAZING! Do you have the dimensions, cost and builders info for the front storage? I just rebuilt mine but not sure how long the ABS will last.

Thanks in advance!

5. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

ok I am back on working on the camper. I got the front box fully installed. I have the electrical cabinet roughed in, the holes drilled for the furnace, and just re-plumbed all the gas lines. I am switching the power cord on the outside to a female inlet. I figured it will give me some more water proofing (pictures attached). on the rear refrigerator cabinet, we are changing up the whole thing. We decided to get rid of the refrigerator, and we are going to install a Dometic CFX3 95DZ 120v/12v electric cooler/freezer. That means i need to make a custom slide drawer. The attached picture is a rough frame of the cooler dimensions. I also need to figure out the wiring nest in the back. I can't remember what the switch and kill switch were on the fridge cabinet. Also i bought pex tools today to get the water plumbing started.

Attached Files:

Ductape, kmbarreiros and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Front box is awsome. Your almost done now!

7. kmbarreiros

Very nice.....
    Funny I got the same female plug to wire in and got all my pex supplies today, I just had to buy fittings and crimps as my dad is letting me borrow his tools.
    What is that grey plate behind the plug?
    Hopefully I should be able to work on it this weekend.
    I really want to clean the top and put on the the new seal.

8. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

How much does the front box weigh?

9. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

The gray plate covers the hole from the prior cover plate. I couldn’t find an inlet big enough to cover the hole in the sheet metal.

I have no idea how much the front box weighs. It’s all aluminum, and I am sure lighter than the water logged original i took off.

10. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

I received my slides for the cooler cabinet, but Dometic isn't shipping anything, so i'm not sure how long that is going to take to get in. Yesterday we decided to move on and work on the couch/bed project. We made it pretty far. I have the wall behind it finished with all the reinforcements, and the basic bench constructed. I was going to have a middle support, but found a milled 2x4 at Menards that is very sturdy. So I was able to eliminate the middle support and have it very open underneath. We plan on getting baskets to put under the bench for storage (another area to play with color). I have all the slats cut, but didn't get the back retaining bar or the front support mounted so i couldn't pull it out for pictures. I think the bench is a little short for the cushion. In the closed position ours is 20in. Does anyone have dimension of their couch in the closed position? I can fix it, but we couldn't remember if the top cushion went on top of the larger bottom cushion (like shown in the picture), or if it went behind giving full access to the larger cushion. Seems in the first case there isn't much sitting room. as i'm typing this i guess i could have gone and looked at the brochure or video walk throughs. but if someone had the dimension it would be helpful. Here are pics of the progress.

Attached Files:

Ductape likes this.
  11. kmbarreiros

Wait wait wait a min.....Is that couch meant to turn into a bed,as in the wood slides outward to make in wider?
    If so that is absolutely genius.

12. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

Our couch did this before, but it was two pieces of plywood over each other. when you extended the top and laid down you felt uneven. I saw this in camper vans and thought it was way cooler. plus i can access the full underside of the bench. we had very limited storage before.

13. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

Electrical cabinet done and ready for sanding/paint. Couch/bed done and ready for sanding and paint. Rear potty cabinet done and ready for sanding and paint. Canvas cleaned, and ready for waterproof. My 2001 rear plastic panel broke, so we found a 2004 that fit the rough opening. I had to move the spare tire support over 2in, but that’s done. Waiting for new taillights to arrive. We ordered the epoxy to do all our countertops. I have eliminated all water inside the camper, and we are getting rid of the water tank. If I need to have water, I am just going to have a mounted solution that I can get to in case of any mildew issues. Our tank and hoses were gross.
    The last cabinet I have mostly designed, I’m just waiting for the electric cooler to ship! Ordered it May 6th, and still hasn’t been shipped.
    I feel like the end is near.

Attached Files:

Ductape, kmbarreiros and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

02CC73F1-2D1B-4614-9510-667CB0EB1CA4.jpeg 4819259A-5E7E-4D99-B992-3DDF5CB2AE0D.jpeg 44C49E8D-C30E-4024-85DD-50B5C66A2459.jpeg 09BF46D2-84E5-4A87-AA0B-9E8460EA0909.jpeg 6C269420-9219-4941-BF34-7D0A1A2F576B.jpeg 2366208A-4C6D-42D4-A170-3CEF1503139D.jpeg D9B2510A-B301-4D0F-A4EE-33ADA287491B.jpeg Quick update. Passenger side fully installed, just need countertops. Same for electrical cabinet. The cooler slide out is built. I need to finish cleaning up the drawer slide cut outs for the cooler cooling vents. Pics say more than words. Feel like July is going to be the finish month.

kmbarreiros and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Love the couch idea. It’s so difficult to access the cabinets under my couch and there wasn’t much room for things. Your way makes it far easier to access under the couch.

kmbarreiros likes this.
  16. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

Nearing the end. We ended up doing epoxy counter tops. They turned out great for our first time. They Look like granite. The edges didn't turn out that great, but think I needed to have thicker board, and a bigger bull nose edge. We bought pro marine epoxy, painted the wood Broadway black baer paint and primer. The first coat of epoxy we mixed in silver and black fine glitter (didn’t know there were sizes). Sanded with 220, which left scratches. The second coat of epoxy was just the clear, and the scratches disappeared. You need to make sure you have a dust free environment, and temp is a big deal. Our tables feel pretty solid, but will dent if I push my finger nail in Really hard. I have been told it takes 30 days for full cure. I’ll update later in this. The good thing is if it gets scratched from use over time, I can sand and add a coat to restore.
    I will give more details on the electric cooler cabinet once it is fully installed with pics.

Attached Files:

Ductape likes this.
  17. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

beautiful finish!

18. kmbarreiros

Mine didn't come out as nice but I did somewhat use his idea for my rear bench too.
    20200707_170403.jpg 20200707_170429.jpg
    There is enough room for two totes.

jmkay1 and Scotty boy like this.
  19. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

After work we put in the painted items from this weekend. The drawer works great. I think I need better catches. The cord chain to guide the wires was a pain to get the linkages flipped the right way, but works perfectly now. You can see in one pic the temp sensor I wired to the fans in the back to keep my electric cooler from over heating.
    I need to take the slide out one more time to finish securing the side cabinets, and install the guide blocks and seals. Put the back end on, including requiring the new rear lights. Install the roof seal and awning rail. Put beds and canvas back on, new battery, and I’m off to camp.

Attached Files:

20. Scotty boy

Scotty boy Member

This weekend we put the 2004 rear panel on our 2001. I personally liked the old version because it had more lights. But now that it is caulked in, it will have to do. I read several post about caulk, and arrived at OSI quad max. It is available at Home Depot and Menards. I have used this stuff on my Windows around aluminum and vinyl siding, and it is super sticky and you can’t get it off.
    We also put the awning rail back on. I used anchors epoxied in and 6 total screws, plus 3M 5200 under and around the rail. Hopefully that works. It was kind of rubbery the first day, but seems to be getting more solid. Tube says 7days for full cure.
    We also put he canvas back on. My wife already cleaned it, now we just need to waterproof. There are a few things under the deck I need to secure, but we are pretty much ready to go camping. Hear are some before and after photos.

Work to be done after our first trip:
    New fabric- We tried to do the slip cover thing, but don’t like the fabric. That is only there until we do something more permanent
    Top cabinet for refrigerator drawer- I am still debating on how to best use this space. We figured after the rest of this year we can put a list of things we want there. For now it will just be a three drawer plastic container.
    Cabinet faces- I have all the hardware, but just want to get camping. That’s a when I have free time project.
    Velcro- there was a ton that needs replacement. We are noobs when it comes to that.

Attached Files:

Tmackcj5 and kmbarreiros like this.