2001 Expedition Expedition after market tow package

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by mckeapc67, May 30, 2012.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Just wanted to post this for anyone that has a similar TV that they need configured for towing.

I have finally finished completely configuring my 2001 Ford Expedition for towing our PUP. Here's a break-down of the mods I did to the Expedition which should work for most similar vehicles. Note that these mods were made over several years as my towing needs have evolved with this vehicle.

Original configuration of the Expedition - No factory tow package, step bumper hitch, & 4-prong trailer connector.

Hitch - Added a U-Haul class III hitch. This was an easy bolt-on mod with all hardware included with the hitch. It's been a few years since I installed it; but, I don't recall even having to drill any additional holes in the frame.

7-pin trailer connector - The 7-pin connector was pretty easy to install. All of the appropriate wiring was already in the harness to the back of the Expedition. The extra wires (beyond the ones used in the 4-pin connector) needed were simply terminated at the plug mounted to the frame by the spare tire. Simply had to splice into them there.

Brake Controller - I installed a Tekonsha Primus brake controller pigtail and bracket under my dash. In my expedition, the brake wire and trailer brake power wire were terminated at the firewall connector under the hood. I simply had to splice into them there and route through the firewall (drilled extra holes in the plastic plug housing). I then spliced into the brake switch under the dash and grounded the pigtail where other grounds were installed behind the kick panel.

Fuses & Relays - All of the appropriate fuses where already in place to run the trailer lighting and trailer brakes. All I had to do was install the Trailer Tow battery relay (#302 in the power distribution box under the hood). I bought an after market relay from AutoZone for $7 (I think it was part number 84601). They were on the shelf by the fuses and other electrical components.

Transmission Cooler - I installed an after market transmission cooler. I made a bracket and mounted it in front of the A/C condenser on the radiator core support. Another pretty easy mod with some hose barbs into the flex hose of the transmission return line from the radiator. I did have to buy an extra piece of transmission cooler hose since they didn't supply very much with the cooler.

Weight Distribution Hitch & Sway Control - Not really a mod to the Expedition, but I did purchase and install a WDH and sway control from Harbor Freight. My PUP has a heavy tongue weight; so, the WDH was a necessity to stay within the capacity of the hitch and tow capacity of the Expedition and to eliminate rear end sag.

Hope this info helps someone else out there. If you need any further info, let me know and I'll try to supply it.

2. turborich

turborich Active Member

I have a 2000 Expedition that I tow my pup with. My tongue weight is 450 lbs. No WDH needed as the Expedition has the factory rear air suspension which keeps it level at all times.

Does your Expedition have the rear air suspension or coil springs?

3. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Coil springs on mine