2001 Keystone Camplite Pup

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Cynthia Powell, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Cynthia Powell

Cynthia Powell New Member

Hi, I just bought my first used pup and I don’t know anything about them.

I can plug into the shore station and have power but I wasn’t able to use the battery this weekend.

There are two Switches on the outside, one green and the other red and I don’t know which one is for the battery. I tried them both but still had no power.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Clueless!

2. Overland

Overland Active Member

Cynthia Powell likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Those switches should be for the refrigerator. If they are inside an outside compartment.
    Now if you have a fully charged battery and you are not plugged into "shore" power, you should have power for the lights.etc .......but not the outlets (they will only work when plugged in.
    Now the things to check if there is no battery power is are the cables on the battery correctly.. Black to +. White to - next thing to check is the battery protection fuse in your power convertor ...... usually 20 amp yellow. if the cables are connected backwards this fuse will blow. Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Yup, you are describing your refrigerator control switches.

5. Cynthia Powell

6. Cynthia Powell

I've checked the breaker and the fuses, all are good. I have seen everywhere on the web they talk about cables being black and white, mine are black and red but are connected appropriately and still no lights.

7. Cynthia Powell

What is the purpose for each switch?

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If your fridge is similar to mine, HERE is a video that describes the switches and how to light the propane. (The video was googled.)

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The wire that a fuse holder or circuit breaker will go to the plus terminal and the other would be the negative ground wire. Could you post a photo of your battery connections.

10. Cynthia Powell

That helped so much. Thank you very much!

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much useless when it comes to electricity (some might same I'm just useless in general [LOL][LOL]) but wanted to jump in to Welcome you to the forum from Midway USA.

12. Cynthia Powell

Thank you. Glad to be here!

13. Cynthia Powell

Okay, I think I've figured out my electrical issue I believe that the battery is strictly for the fridge and doesn't work on the lights or outlets.

But I have a new issue (newbies, right, lol). So, my issue is I was latching the top and had it way too tight and one of the latches started to pull away from the camper. It was the bottom plate not the top one. Any suggestions!

I appreciate your patience and help!

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If everything is connected and working properly the battery should power everything 12 volt on the PUP.
    As for the latch it depends on how much damage there is. The solution could be as simple as using a larger gauge screw.

15. Cynthia Powell

The latch hasn't completely pulled away. I will try the bigger screw and see what happens. Thank you so much for your help.

BillyMc likes this.
  16. BillyMc

I would remove it, clean the area, and caulk it when putting it back on. Water getting in is the death of a camper.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Can you take a pucture? My latches on my colman pup can be ajusted. The next issue would be why was it so tight when closing it. So make sure the canvas is tucked in when lowering the roof.

BillyMc likes this.
  18. BillyMc

Could be like mine, some people think tighter is better. The PO had mine extremely tight for some reason, there is some buckling of the siding where the clamps are but didn't pull the screws out.

19. Pnut

Pnut Member

I have a 2001 keystone 12sg pup. My latches have bolts that use what I call a tee nut on the inside of the camper.I'm not sure how to get to the lower ones but if you raise your top some and look on the inside of the roof where the top latch is you will see what I'm talking about. You won't be able to use a bigger screw. If you can get to the lower bolts that are the problem you may be able to use a regular nut with a fender washer (which is just an over sized washer). Make sure you use some sealant like dicor behind the latch to keep out the water. Your outlets will not work on 12 volts but your overhead lights do. There is a switch on the counter that the sink presses when you open it to make the 12 volt system work. Sometimes I have to push down on the back left of the sink cabinet when I first set up to make it work.

Cynthia Powell and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. Cynthia Powell

I was just a little over zealous in wanting to make sure it was closed tight and I made it too tight.

Sjm9911 likes this.