2001 Ram 1500 tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by nuts4hotwheels, Mar 10, 2015.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels New Member

I bought a 2001 Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.2L V8. I haven't towed the PUP with it yet, but that will change next week. We were using the wife's '03 V6 Trailblazer and it did a great job of towing, but I can't wait to try out my new toy for our camping trip. The extra cargo space will be great as well.

2. penguin

penguin Member

Awesome! You will never know anything's behind you!! Enjoy!!

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Congrats on the new truck.

4. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I have the same vehicle and pulled our Starcraft Centennial through the Smoky Mountains and it pulled like a dream. We put a camper shell on our truck along with kayak racks and we use it for all kinds of outdoor activities.

5. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

We just bought a 2012 Ram 1500 with a 4.7. I too can't wait to give her a try.
    [​IMG]

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Good deal, you will like the Ram trucks. That 318 should have no problem pulling that lighter trailer of yours around. I have had mine since brand spankin new off the lot in '98. It runs like the day it was born and I recently shot new base/clear coat on it. Our trailer tips the scales at around 2, 500 lbs loaded and with the bed full of stuff, the little V8 is working on the long hills. Wish I had a bit more motor but oh well...good nuff.

7. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Congrats on your NTU truck....I have the 04 Ram with the hemi and it pulls my 5000 lb TT great....I have no problem keeping up with traffic.

8. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Congrats on your NTU truck....I have the 04 Ram with the hemi and it pulls my 5000 lb TT great....I have no problem keeping up with traffic.

9. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Congrats on your NTU truck. As others have said, The Rams are nice trucks. I used to have a 2000 quad cab 4x4 with a 5.9 (360) in it. That thing was a beast. It could pull a house off it's foundation. Didn't get great gas mileage though. I had it for 11 years. Had to get rid of it as the rust monster was eating it alive. The only thing to keep an eye on is the tranny. Make sure to change the filter and fluid before 75,000. I now have a 2014 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi in it, and like it very much. I think you will be happy with yours too.

10. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

I've noticed this year that lots of people seem to be upgrading TV's this year (or my wife said its just in my head) and more seem to be upgrading to the Rams. It seems to be a popular choice for TV's. I could be wrong on that being that I am now biased. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

--Rob--

11. nuts4hotwheels

@ crosbys2008: The picture of your truck looks familiar. Are you on the Dodge Ram forum, too?

12. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Those are very nice trucks. I will have to keep dreaming for now. [PUT]

13. HiFiDave

Heck yeah before 75K. I HIGHLY recommend changing/flushing the fluid and changing the filter at every 25K miles or there about. Also, have both bands adjusted, big time important. Ask around, find the most competent transmission shop you can trust cause adjusting bands is different for different transmissions I would also add a tranny cooler if you don't have one. I've been dealing with automatics since the sixties and back in those days, shoot, we rarely flushed the trans and such. They were MUCH more bullet proof than today's transmissions. Now...call me a paranoid cause I live on the hot desert but transmission work is serious CHA CHING and it's money I don't want to spend. With us pulling a trailer and often at slow speeds on back country roads, I'm watching my tranny ever so closely. Even put an extra capacity finned pan on mine and next is coming a temp gauge.

Now having said this...I'm sure someone is going to chime in with..."I don't do that stuff and my trans is just fine" and to that I say...lucky you!

14. nuts4hotwheels

Routine maintenance is what keeps a vehicle on the road.

15. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We had to rebuild our transmission around 118k miles. We knew the history of dodge trannies and purchased the truck at a price so the rebuild was not a big deal. That has been 3 years ago and it has been great since then. I don't what the prior owner did for routing trans maintenance.

16. HiFiDave

I have 120k on my 46RE and it shifts like the day it was born. The only problem I had was the over drive button on the gear shift arm, had to replace it.

17. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

Hey West Coast. I have the same truck and pull a 4200lb dry weight TT. I am not sure why but it feels like my truck is always working hard to pull it. I have a K & N air filter with a Superchips controller but it just doesn't seem to have enough oomph. Any thing you may have done to yours?

18. nuts4hotwheels

Update: We went camping last week and the truck was great. Pulled it very well, lots of interior room for all 5 of us and it was great to have the bed for gear.