2002 ALINER CAMPER - BROKEN SPRING BOX

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by ShaggyFromFl, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ShaggyFromFl

ShaggyFromFl New Member

hello to all,

any DIY out there that has had to deal with a broken spring box on their Aliner camper. I just recently found an issue with my camper during a pre-season inspection. I noticed that one of the front handles of the camper had peeled away and up exposing rotted out wood and the end of one of the springs "leg." In other words, the spring's "leg" punctured through the aluminum skin wall. From what I see, the wood has rotted away where the spring was being held in place. I am looking for help....orientation on "how to." I can't afford to hire a professional.

thank you

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

two parts to this
    1) remove and replace the roof in order to get the spring out of the way - look for video by "goingnowherefast" on Youtube. Its not a trivial exercise.
    2) repair the "spring box" - likely not a lot of fun to this. Do use a hardwood when you finally get to it.

OPTION: remove or otherwise cut away the problem spring and use an external lift strut (gas type) to make up for lack of spring. But be careful to anchor both strut ends adequately, or you will rear up your camper side walls.

3. ShaggyFromFl

ShaggyFromFl New Member

Mr. Hitchings thank you for your response. Have you tried your suggestions? If so do have pictures of the outside struts? Again thanks

j

4. Anthony Hitchings

Never had to do it - I did encounter one person while in southern AZ who had a spring sticking out the side of his Aliner - he had not yet figured out a fix for it. Which got me to thinking about how that is something to avoid - so on my to-do list is putting the pipe thru and between opposite springs to stop them from rotating adversely. But that's a different problem from dealing with rot. Rot is bad news in all wood frame homes, including Aliners which have some wood in them.

5. Anthony Hitchings

The outside struts would be similar to what Aliner uses for Aliners with heavier roofs - such as when Dormers are included.

6. ShaggyFromFl

ShaggyFromFl New Member

Hey Anthony,

thank you. I will look into it.

J