2002 Coleman (Fleetwood) Bayside

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by A Ols, Nov 24, 2021.

1. A Ols

A Ols New Member

Hi all,

I wanted to share our story of our 2002 Coleman Bayside as we restore it. I have pictures to add but have quickly hit my media limit so will need to post them elsewhere and share here.

October 1, 2021- purchased
    It doesn’t look too bad in photos but majority of cabinet wood is mushy, part of flooring in front compartment has rotted through. Enough of the floor is mushy that it really should all be replaced. Vinyl is in ok shape but subfloor is bad in quite a few spots.

October 2, 2021 (6 hrs) - the misses and I thoroughly cleaned the pup and contemplated selling for something that needed less work. However we decided to go for it and now we can make it how we want.

October 3, 2021 (1 hr) - touched up the frame with farm paint, matte black, to prep for storage. Painted the plastic trim pieces as well, matte white, again as temporary and to prep for storage.

It sat in a storage unit for a few weeks.

October 22, 2021 (2 hrs) - demo has begun. Removed part of the front storage and began disassembling the interior.

October 23, 2021 (2 hrs) - more demo today

October 28, 2021 (1 hr) - just took some pictures for documentation and did very little demo

October 29, 2021 (2 hr) - a lot of progress this evening, all demo.

October 31, 2021 (1/2 hr) - took pics for documentation, cleaned the garage a bit (organized the mess), did a little bit of demo.

November 2, 2021 (2 hr) - took a bunch of pictures to document how the subfloor was done previously. Removed the rest of the subfloor. Found lots of mold between vinyl and subfloor.

November 7, 2021 (4 hr) - used angle grinder to remove the bad spots of rust on the frame. Put a coat of Chassis Saver on the sides and top of the frame components. Also hit metal spots that had rusted to stop the rust and will be covered up anyway so color didn’t matter.

November 15, 2021 (2 hrs) - put a second coat of Chassis Saver on, this time focusing on the bottom of the frame but also a good second coat in the top since that’ll be covered by the subfloor and can’t be touched up later. Frame looks great, like new. This paint is incredible.

November 21, 2021 (3 hrs) - started the subfloor installation. I stopped because I realized we hadn’t cleaned the fresh water tank yet so used a cup of bleach and filled that to let it sit for a day or two.

kcsa75 likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Welcome from a fellow Fleetwood owner and a sister to your bayside. Good luck with the demo and rebuild. Sounds like a ton of work, but I’m sure it will be better than new when your done. Out of curiosity what do you plan to do for your front storage box area?

theseus likes this.