2002 Rockwood 2280 Backwall rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by mpking, Sep 22, 2018.

  1. mpking

    mpking Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    280
    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2014
    Location:
    Raynham, MA
    Project wrap-up.
    I took me 3 weekends working on this, or 6 days.

    I lost lots of time on the following.
    • Multiple trips buying supplies (not sure how to avoid this, since I didn't know what I would need until I needed it.)
    • Agonizing over trying to find exact size lumber. (Seriously, like 2 hours searching for lumber that is exactly 1.5" x 1" exactly.)
    • Having to redo the stain. A single test board would have saved me like 3 hours.
    • Life in general. There isn't a single day that I wouldn't get started hours late, or have to take several hour breaks to do "family stuff". No regrets, just don't plan on having uninterrupted time, it's not reasonable.
    If I only measured the time I was actively working on it, and not including the time for rework due to the "stain debacle", I've got about 16 hours invested. I did not count the time for the stain to dry, since I did it over 3 days, 15 minutes at time.


    I'll post some pictures after I winterize, and close up the camper with the new LED tail lights.
     
    hayyward likes this.
  2. Pnut

    Pnut Member

    Messages:
    75
    Likes Received:
    33
    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Location:
    NE Georgia
    Nice job. Everything looks great, and you shouldn't have anymore leaks.
     
  3. mpking

    mpking Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    280
    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2014
    Location:
    Raynham, MA
    Here's the final photo. Running lights on, and left turn signal engaged (to show all functions, I tested brakes and right turn, but you don't need those photos)
    upload_2018-10-7_15-30-43.png

    Here's the before

    upload_2018-10-7_15-33-18.png

    The new tail lights are a pretty close match, and I definitely have to clean the camper. Lots of dirt on it from this summer's travels.
    The inside is the only place you can see the difference from the wood rot

    Here's the inside Before
    [​IMG]
    And here's the inside After.
    [​IMG]
     
    hayyward likes this.
  4. Pnut

    Pnut Member

    Messages:
    75
    Likes Received:
    33
    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Location:
    NE Georgia
    The color matched up good, and a job well done.
     
    J.P.C likes this.
  5. J.P.C

    J.P.C New Member

    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2019
    Man I can't even begin to tell you how much more confident I feel about taking on this exact project on my 2001 Viking. After the maiden voyage I initially thought it was because my spare tire was pulling the back wall away, but after removing the spare tire and a futile effort of running some screws into it from the back side and then someone sleeping on that bed and then realizing that those screws were pulled through the next morning my stomach sank and I instantly went into fix mode in the middle of the camping trip, but after seeing this post maybe this project won't be as difficult as I had initially thought, I will try this and keep you guys posted with pics. I am finally glad I was able to find anything on this subject for the best way to repair this problem, thank you for such great detail and pictures. About to get started...
     
    Overland likes this.
  6. mpking

    mpking Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    280
    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2014
    Location:
    Raynham, MA
    Post a link to your thread!
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.