2003 Coleman Fleetwood Sun Valley - No Hot Water from sink or shower

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by supercamperman, Jun 3, 2021.

1. supercamperman

supercamperman New Member

Hey all,

New to this forum and camping in general! We got our hands on a 2003 Coleman Fleetwood back in March and are just now taking it camping! I'm running through all the systems once again and am having trouble with the hot water. When we got the camper, we walked through all the various components with the previous owner, however we skipped the hot water for some reason lol. Now, I'm having issues getting water to come out of the shower or sink. I'm able to turn on the water pump and get cold water going, but it doesn't look like any water is going through the hot water tank.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something. I have shut both of the relief valves near the fill up spout on the outside of the camper, and I don't see any other valve that might turn off flow to the hot side of the plumbing system. Any idea? I appreciate everyone's help in advance!

Pics (can add more if needed)

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. What are you calling relief valves on the outside of the camper? Low point drains maybe? Looks like a hand nut on the hot out port. Have you loosened it a little to make sure there is water there?

3. supercamperman

I'm talking about these here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AahubbbPRY1BQXz6. I did open both of them and observed that water would come pouring out of the left valve (cold), but nothing came out of the right valve.

4. WrkrBee

Low point drains for winterizing. Got water coming out the tank hot port?

5. supercamperman

You mean from inside the trailer, the port that's labeled "HOT"? I don't think any water is flowing through there.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If your HWT has a by-pass for winterizing cold water will not fill it, and you will not get hot water out, so make sure you have water in the tank before lighting it.

Jwwiff likes this.
  7. supercamperman

Where would such a bypass be found? I posted a link to pics in my OP. Maybe I am just missing it? Could it be underneath the trailer?

8. supercamperman

I should also mention that I'm unable to get water running through the hot faucets regardless of whether I'm using the fresh water take or city water inlet.

9. WrkrBee

I don't see any by-pass valves in the pictures. They should be next to the tank. There should be a by-pass hose that connects the by-pass valves, also. Yes, to get hot water out of the faucets, you've got to get it out of the tank. If no water comes out the "hot" port, is it going in the "cold" port?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  10. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member

Kithampton mentioned the valve on the water heater. It is typically located on the inlet (bottom) port on the water heater on the back side opposite where the controls are. This is typically a 3-way valve that will either allow you to put water into the heater and distribute to the camper, bypass the heater so the cold water goes into the hot water lines, or block the flow completely. Go to the resource section of the site and download the parts manual for your camper. In there should be the functional layout of your water system as well as callouts of all the pieces. The two valves on the bottom are drain valves for winterizing the system. My suspicion is that the 3-way is not turned to the correct position. I have an ‘07 Bayside and the back of the water heater is easy to get to from the front trunk. I’m not sure how you get to yours. Let us know what you find out. Happy camping!