2003 Coleman Niagara

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lovelymae, Mar 11, 2017.

1. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

We are brand new to the PUP world and looking at this 2003 Coleman Niagara. Just wanted to see what any Niagara owners thought of theirs and if $4,000 is a good price to pay for it.

Also what is a good TV for this PUP? We are looking at upgrading that as well.

2. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Do you have link to the for sale listing? If we can see it and see if there's anything wrong we can help with you a price for it.

Fwiw we sold our 2001 Niagara back in the fall for $4200. Ours did have a few mods and upgrades including the fridge fan mod, upgraded replacement awning, spring over axle conversion with larger tires and a detachable power cord. It was in good condition for the age with no leaks.

Low wall Niagaras are supposed to be under 3200 lbs or so max but with the front trunk being the large storage space it's easy to have a tongue heavy trailer. I'd say any large crossover, mid size SUV or pickup should tow it fine.

3. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

http://www.mcgeorgerv.com/product/used-2003-coleman-niagara-635936-7

My husband just bought a 2012 4Runner as our TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. shfd739

shfd739 Member

I see it still has the ABS roof so thats something that needs to be looked at closely for cracks and signs of leaking on the ceiling. Same thing with front trunk. Look for any wood swelling on the inside and on the underside for rotting. Have them spray a water hose over the trunk then open it and see if any water got inside. The shelf across from the galley should have 2 pieces that swing down and support it. I cant tell if those are there. Without the supports that shelf is kinda useless. Make sure the tires are in good shape and less than 3 years old. Make sure the appliances work. Awning bag looks ripped.

Based on a few dealers Ive talked with these things are getting less than $1000 for trade in values. I know one that gave $500 and one gave $800. If the roof and trunk are solid with no leaks Id offer $3000 and see what they counter with. If there's leaks and you dont mind taking on a project Id be at $1000 tops.

That 4Runner will make an excellent tow vehicle for a Niagara. Be sure to have a brake controller installed.

5. StillPopn

StillPopn New Member

We have 2000 Niagra that we bought back in 2008. I keep watching the trailer prices and hope that 4,000 is a good price - it would be in Colorado from what I've seen. Having the cassette toilet and shower is a big bonus that a lot of pop-ups don't have and having a slide out for the dinette gives a feeling of spaciousness. We don't have AC but that would be a plus for hot weather camping. I especially like the outdoor cooktop. My wife loves the king size beds.

6. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

The roof look like an alumitite one to me -- it's what we have on our Cheyenne. The camper appears to be in good condition from the pictures (just a little rust on the sand pads).

Check it out following the advice of others on the forum. I can't comment on the price because I've seen them all over the board... If you like it and it is in good condition, make a reasonable offer (we offered 10% less than our seller's asking price, because that is what WE thought was fair). The dealer price may be a little higher than a private seller -- so see if they are willing to give you any extras with the sale (rug, screen room, leveler, etc.)

Also, what is this dealer's reputation? Will they be there for you after the sale?

Good luck, and I hope you get the camper you want!

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I bought essentially the same camper 5 years ago for $5000. It is a heavy camper. In camping trim it will weigh about 3200lbs and is prone to swaying. Definitely recommend a friction anti-sway bar. Might need a WDH for your tow vehicle.

8. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

We are going to look at it next weekend. The dealer is a good one, but we are moving across the country (the reason for buying the PUP in the first place so we can do the road trip) so it won't benefit us if they are there for us after the sale or not I guess.

I have asked them about the roof to see what kind it is, waiting to hear back on that.

We are looking into all that is needed for the TV to tow it now.

9. shfd739

shfd739 Member

It is the Alumatite roof not ABS. I was half awake looking at the pictures last night. That's why it has the built in rails for the roof tacks towers and load bars. It also has a second awning that could go over the dinette since there are awning rails on both sides.

Not a bad unit at all if it all checks out. Just remember it's at a dealer and they're probably into it for less than a thousand dollars so the less you can pay the better.

For the 4Runner you'll need a trailer brake controller and probably airbags or a weight distributing hitch depending on how much it sags with the loaded pup connected. At the very least a friction sway bar as that model is notorious for sway no matter how it's loaded.

Good luck! Hopefully it works out for y'all.

10. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Remember the 1st generation Alumatite was known as the Alumaleak because of all the leaks under the rails. So check the roof inside under the rails for water spots. Supposedly, the factory didn't caulk the under the rails properly, google should find the correct procedure to redo the caulking.

11. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I saw that same one on the website. Looks like ABS roof. I used to have a 2000 Coleman Westlake with ABS and it looked exactly like that one. The cool thing about that one is the "backside" awning. I did not make a trip to look at this one since it looked like the ABS roof.

12. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

I talked to the dealer. He said it's a fiberglass roof that is all one piece. I'm not sure if that means it's the ABS roof or not.

13. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

He also said that we don't need a WDH but just the sway bar is fine.

14. BJS1785

BJS1785 New Member

I saw that one for sale when I was looking a couple months ago. I decided not to look at it as it was out of my cash price range and I did not want to finance anything, which I am very glad I did as I spent a lot more on camping accessories than I planned...
    We ended up with a 99 Coleman Niagara. It is pretty much the exact same camper, just older. I honestly am not sure what my roof is made out of, I am pretty sure its aluminum, its definitely not ABS.
    I tow with a 2008 GMC Sierra. I have had enough weight in the front cargo bin, and in the bed of the truck, to make me think about a WDH, however I decided I just need to pack smarter which can easily be done. I've had no sway issues.
    To give you an idea of pricing, we paid $2200 for the 99 coleman Niagara, and it does NOT have AC, I already added a unit I had though. It is in great shape for the year, and everything works well, but I did fix lots of little issues such as some wiring, plumbing, and greasing. The canvas is fully functional but does have a few tears that were patches well.
    Hope this gives you an idea on a good comparison. I think If mine had AC, it would have been 2600-2800 maybe.

15. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

We are heading out to look at it today. Let's hope it doesn't have any hidden surprises!

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Hope all goes well. I have a sister unit, a 2004 Utah about the same weight as the one your looking at. Also towing with an 4 Runner. I use a sway bar but that is it. I have no problems towing her. On my unit, i have an aluminitite roof with roof racks. Like others said it was prone to leaking.
    Good luck.

17. Alan

Alan Active Member

$4,000.00 might be reasonable if everything is in excellent condition. We bought a 2003 Westlake with toilet and shower, for $3,300.00 last year, inside looks like it was never used, but it had sat for two years outside, with no cover. I had a lot of cleaning to do and it took us a couple trips to figure out the water and electrical system. Ours has a solar panel that charges the battery; it appears to have been installed by the dealer and works really well. Ours also has the 12' canopy with screened room.

FYI - The roof is ABS on the 2003, ours is too. Ours has zero issues. Check inside to see if there is a steel support member on the ceiling near the vent. Make sure they crank it up and down for you, have them run the atwer, flush the toilet, run the refrigerator, light the water heater and see if the furnace works, as well. I learned a heck of a lot about these trailer while looking for one. 2003 Coleman Westlake.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Alan

Alan Active Member

For the most part, the ABS roofs were not a problem; they are also an fairly easy fix if you do so before they get bad.

19. Alan

Alan Active Member

For the most part it looks pretty nice. It's just like ours but has the tip out. Check the roof for any cracks...if there are cracks get them to come down $500 or so. They can be fixed and the roof redone to look like new for a day's work and a couple hundred bucks.

20. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

IMG_4107.jpg
    Well we bought it! Now the adventure begins. We walked out the door at exactly $4000 with the dealer fees, taxes, etc! It came with a lot of extra goodies too that the previous owners had left including 2 spare tires, an add-a-room and a portable waste tank to mention a few. We are very excited.

Natureangel likes this.