2003? Viking Saga G2107 DISASTER

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by vdotmatrix, Jul 21, 2019.

1. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

What have I done?

While on a kiteboarding camping trip to Hatteras KOA, I had to move the Popup this morning.

I forgot to remove the auxiliary support sleeve for the lifters and lowered the canopy.

The rear corner got stuck and while trying to unstick it, IMG_1970.JPG , the spring ruptured out of the tube and broke the bracket.

I called the Route 12 mobile RV repair With Percy Hutchens. He was the best, didn't charge me for coming out and cutting the tube.

We tried everything to unstick the spring to just lower the canopy but nothing worked...The tube in the corner just could not come down, so in the end, I had to cut the topmost tube in order to lower the canopy and drive 250miles home. IMG_1971.JPG I did unbolt the tube from the canopy. The hacksaw wouldn't cut that spring.

The rear half of the canopy, opposite the tube that was cut will not stay down.

Restless wheels in Manassas can fix anything. I save the tube perhaps the can weld that part together again if they cannot find a replacement.

Why does the opposite side stay up?

DON't EVER forget to remove those supports before lowering.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Ouch, hope they are able to fix it for you. I know restless wheels, they managed to squeeze me in when I discovered my hubs were burning up when I pulled into Bull Run Regional Park once. I was able to camp and drop the camper off after camp. I live about 45 min from there. So quite familiar with the area. They are VERY busy though. Took two full weeks before I got my camper back. Then again it was more complicated than just barrings sadly.

vdotmatrix likes this.
  3. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. Restless Wheels helped me with some Coleman parts back when we lived in Vienna Virginia, so hopefully they can do the same for you.

Best of luck with the fix!

4. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Thanks, Everyone!!! SO, that corner is not connected to the spring system, but the opposite side (left rear) will not stay completely down...I am dropping it off to MArk one way or another tomorrow. I saved the piece I had to saw off (top skinny square tube) in case they can TIG weld it back in place without tearing everything apart to replace the tube... The spring must have exploded inside the wall anyway. What a hassle.... A SIMPLE MISTAKE, OVERSIGHT HAS THE FUTURE OF MY CAMPER IN QUESTION: DON'T BE THAT GUY....

5. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

UPDATE DECEMBER 1, 2019- I dropped my popup at restless wheels in mid July 2019. It is still in the shop. When they said it was ready maybe 6 weeks later, the canopy would not raise evenly- smoothly and without a lot of noise, they didn't re-assemble the stop so the bed would just go off the rail and they demolished the cabinet in that corner.

I drove it back to them the next morning and it has been there ever since. They had to replace that lifter tube but there a burr in the mechanism and they had to re-order parts and when the parts arrive they are the wrong part. And they say it takes such a long time to get the parts.

viking was sold to forrest river. I think i have a goshen lift.

It has been a pretty long ordeal. We paid about $800 for the repair. They had to replace a spring, a tube and so on. I feel bad that my little mistake turned into a nightmare if epic proportions for everyone. They only charged me for five hours but have gone probably over twice that and then some.

820FC5B1-AA27-4B57-A5F6-BB112040168C.jpeg 78913E95-A59C-4D30-8AF4-6CCE8ABA7A0D.jpeg 08AE619B-D908-450B-B9BD-1AE8F001BA2A.jpeg C6D87625-912F-469C-908C-927DAF7215B4.jpeg

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would look for a new shop. Goshen parts are very easy to get and they should of had no problem fixing the lift. At least they are not charging you a fortune.

7. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member