2004 Coleman/Fleetwood Taos Roof Refurbishing

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by TheKOB, Oct 9, 2021.

1. TheKOB

TheKOB New Member

We recently got a pop up and we're going to be patching some small holes, recalking and repainting the roof. It's got a two piece alumnium roof so here's what we're thinking
    1) Taking off the caulk using putty knives, utility knife where needed, and perhaps heat gun and goo-gone. (any suggestions on how best to proceed are appreciated)
    2) removing the AC unit, cleaning underneath it so we can repaint there as well and replace the seal (not sure when/if that has ever been done so we figured we may as well)
    3) using TSP to clean the roof in preparation for painting
    4) sealing the holes in the roof using Marine Tex
    5) recaulking using Geocel ProFlex RV flexible sealent
    6) painting using blackjack elasto-cool 1000
    7) reattaching everything that was removed (clamps, metal roof liners, etc) and reinstalling the AC unit with a new seal and caulking that as needed.

My main question is does anyone know where to find a replacement center seam for the roof? It's seen in this picture in this post:
    Coleman Roof Type

In addition if anyone has any suggestions for the procedures with the above or any recommendations for other products to use, please let me know!

There was an awesome thread where someone redid a Taos and they replaced the center seam (I think they were downsizing into a smaller popup and giving their larger on to their son and his family if memory serves) but she didn't mention where she got the new center seam (again, if memory serves) and for the life of me I can't find that thread unfortunately.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Did you try coleman pop up parts for the seam? Otherwise, your plan sounds good. Use some lock tight on the ac bolts, they tend to loosen up a bit from getting jolted around, and check them during the first trip.

3. TheKOB

TheKOB New Member

I looked there but didn't see anything that looked like that seam. We may know more after we take it apart.

Thanks for the tip on the AC unit, I hadn't thought about that but that makes sense! The AC unit is one of the reasons we got this camper, I'd hate to have it fly off while we're driving down the highway. We're going to try to start on all this this weekend. Another thing we need to figure out is how to cover up the gap left when we remove the AC so little furry woodland creatures don't get in, in case we don't finish it in a weekend. I'm also unsure about how exactly to attack all the caulk on there, but I guess it's just a matter of going at it...no tricks or quick tips I suppose.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I am a new fan of the plastic razor blades. I never knew they existed before see them on here. Yea, its just a matter or going at it with whatever works. Call Coleman pop up parts there pretty helpful.

5. TheKOB

TheKOB New Member

Plastic razor blades? Interesting.

We worked on the caulk this past weekend. Getting it off the corner pieces is a bear. We tried soaking it in a goo-gone caulk remover and it's not doing much. The former owner also got several tubes on sale and thought it'd be a good idea to caulk down the metal piece that the canopy attaches to, despite it being screwed down. Like seriously....a ton of caulk. Meanwhile the top and sides of the corners were caulked, but the bottom was not, so there was some spider webs in there.

Sjm9911 likes this.