2004 Fleetwood Highlander Redwood model- anyone have input on the these?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Fem5e5, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Fem5e5

Fem5e5 New Member

Debating about purchasing a 2004 Fleetwood Highlander Redwood model. I’m looking for any input on the good and bad of them. What should I look for or look out for? Anything you like about the Highlander series or dislike? Thanks!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First off this is a very HEAVY popup so be sure your tow vehicle can handle it. I can't remember what kind of roof the Highlander series had, I think it was the single seam aluminum roof. If that's the case just make sure the caulking was kept up. This roof as long as it was maintained had fewer roof problems. If you have the alumitite roof, well this was more problematic. No matter what the brand or manufacturer look the unit over very carefully. Top to bottom, under the camper to ontop of the roof. In the small corners of the cabinets and under the eaves of the camper roof.

Fem5e5 likes this.
  3. Fem5e5

Fem5e5 New Member

Thank you for the info. We have a big F-250 3/4 ton diesel truck so we should be good as far as hauling goes I think. I wondered about the roof since I’ve read several things about this era and brand but wasn’t sure on specifics of this model. I believe you are correct on it being the single seam roof. They honestly haven’t said much other than it’s in great shape and they will fix anything that comes up with it. The only thing I can see from photos that appears broken or worn are a couple spots where the trim on the edges of the counter tops has come loose. I hope that’s not from any sort of moisture. It’s always hard to tell from photos but it appears pretty clean otherwise. We will be having to drive 1/2 a day to go look at it, so I’m trying to get as much info as possible before doing so.

4. jmkay1

I wish you luck. It sounds like it is in good shape, but yeah check it over like you are an inspector. Feel comfortable with the unit before you put your money down. Hope everything works out for you.
    I had to drive 5 hours to buy mine but it was a really lucky find and for a decent price. Only problem was I had to move QUICK as the seller wanted it gone.

Fem5e5 likes this.
  5. Fem5e5

Fem5e5 New Member

Thank you. Wow! Sounds like having to look a little ways away is not unheard of. It’s hard because you don’t want the distance you have to drive to sway your decision to buy one way or the other. We live in a decent sized city but pop ups seem hard to come by here. The ones that do come up go quick. I hope this one works out but if not we will just keep looking.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Some will no doubt disagree but putting a flush toilet atop a meagre 9 gal waste tank in a popup was IMO about the dumbest move Fleetwood could have made when designing their high wall Highlander series. However all is not lost as the 2004 Redwood was one of the few Fleetwood Highlander models that was instead fitted with a Thetford cassette toilet. As one who has owned a variety of campers and has used porta pottis, a cassette toilet, and flush toilets that waste into an underfloor black water waste tank a cassette toilet in a popup makes FAR more sense - a bonus for you!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Fem5e5 likes this.
  7. Fem5e5

Fem5e5 New Member

See, I’ve been researching them and it seems to be an odd model/year for Fleetwood. I wondered about the toilet and was thinking it might actually be a decent option but have zero experience with them. I appreciate your input!

8. GreyFox

2004 was the introductory year for Fleetwood's high wall Highlander series and each model in that series had a cassette toilet. This was continued for the 2005 model year but by 2006 some bright sparks at Fleetwood decided they were going to make a concerted effort to convince prospective buyers that they'd be far better off investing in a Fleetwood Highlander popup rather than a travel trailer so the decision was made that 2006 Highlander models would have what they called a "flushable commode". In reality it was a Sealand flush toilet that sat atop a 9 gal waste tank that served double duty as a base for the toilet. Problem was, once this 9 gal tank was full (meagre capacity by travel trailer standards) one therefore had to either off load the contents of this 9 gal black water tank into a portable tote OR take down the entire popup and take it to the dump station. Dumb, dumb, dumb when the simpler solution is to install a cassette toilet which is emptied by simply pulling out the waste tank and taking it to the dump station. That Redwood you're considering has a cassette toilet.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Completely disagree. I have an '07 Niagara. Never an off load issue. Full hook up.

10. GreyFox

And that's just the point - full hookup, which many of us avoid like the plague. [XX(]

11. RetAF

RetAF Member

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Sequoia. It has the single seam aluminum roof and a cassette toilet. Have had no major problems with the PUP, now it it's 16th camping year. As mentioned earlier, the trim around the counter tops started to come loose a few years ago, so I just secured it with several finishing nails where required. Great PUP!

12. jmkay1

. I never thought about using finishing nails. Great idea. I tried wood glue, but it didn't last long.