2004 Fleetwood lift problems - help

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by hoosierChick, May 31, 2013.

1. hoosierChick

hoosierChick New Member

my "new to me" 2004 Fleetowood, worked fine our first trip out, but leaving the last time...
    after we got it almost all the way down, the crank would just spin freely. When we pulled out the crank handle, the drive hub extension came out with my crank handle. There was evidence of Teflon tape on the extension, it seemed to be stripped and the parts on the inside were in pieces. I've ordered and replaced the drive hub extension, it will crank up and lock.

But now it doesn't let down slowly, if you take your hand off of the handle it, the crank spins fast, the top immediately rushes down and would probably break your arm. Also when cranking it doesn't seem to make a constant clicking sound as it once did.

Have I got something wrong when I replaced the drive hub extension or do I have another problem?

The lift repair manual trouble shooter states - "top slips down when released" = replace clutch brake pad.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated,
    thanks

2. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I can't help you, but I'm certain I read someone else fixing the same exact problem here before -- Fleetwood/Coleman roof goes up, but no clicks and nothing to stop it from coming back down. Either search around or wait for your help ... which will come.

Good luck.

3. mark.sibole

mark.sibole New Member

Depending on the system it could be anything.Mine is a goshen .it clicks when raising and it is a clutch system to hold it in lace.Make sure it is free of dirt and debris.The clicker tab may be stuck and need some lube to free it.
    Only grease the gear and add a small drop of PB blaster to the clicker tab.
    If it is the clutch type like the goshen the clutch is next to the gear,ItOn mine it is a redish color and about 1/8 of an inch thick.Mise would free fall when i got mine used and after realizing how the system worked I tooh a small screw driver and placed it on top of the redish clutch material and peened it a bit 1 or 2 taps in 6 or 8 locations to help spread it back out.All works well now and dosnt free fall even when i put one of the kids on the roof for a free ride.
    Any typos read around them.My fingers arnt working so well today with the weather changes.Life with MS lol plus I dont proof read a lot.Takes up to much valueable time.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Replacing the drive hub extension, may tighten the locking paw back up. The spring and paw needs to move freely, but the drive/clutch plate needs to be dirt and oil free. It has been suggested that the clutch assembly be thoroughly cleaned and then just a couple of drops of oil on the paw pivot and spring. Don't clean with anything that will damage the ABS panel. Maybe Simple Green and a jet of water .... let dry.

Check this out [RTM] http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=72073.msg655749;topicseen#new

5. hoosierChick

hoosierChick New Member

Thanks so much for the help! I believe I had the inner nut too tight (spring, plastic spacer, washer, nut - can't be too tight) on the drive hub extension. I backed it off a few turns, raised the roof and the roof now raises and lowers like a new one! WOO HOO!

6. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

I have the exact same problem, can you tell me what size the nylon spacer is? I picked up a couple different ones at home depot but they seem to be too long and now not allow the nut on the end to seat......we are supposed to take our first trip in two weeks too!

7. hoosierChick

hoosierChick New Member

I'm sorry for the late reply, I didn't measure it, but the nylon spacer was only about 1/2" long (and I just read were you found out it was 3/8")