2004 Fleetwood Redwood vs 2004 Starcraft w/slideout

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Concretecowgirl, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Concretecowgirl

Concretecowgirl New Member

I have lurked off-and-on for two years, but this is my first post (had to create a new account since I couldn't remember the login I used years ago).

After a great deal of searching, I've found two pop-ups that I like.

The Fleetwood has been kept under a carport for nearly 15 years. The seller is orig. owner. The toilet, stove and [outside] shower have never been used. It has factory AC, all manuals, awning, new tires with packed bearings, 2 propane tanks, new battery and locking pin. It's clear the camper was hardly used, yet my biggest concern is that it's been sitting for a long time. It's listed at $9500, but the seller will consider offers (any suggestions?).

The Starcraft is a bit more used, but in good shape. Seller is the third owner. There is one tear that has been professionally repaired. The seller said there has never been a leak. It is updated with LED lights, solar panels, new tires (not sure about bearings), and slide-out cooler. Asking price is $6900.

While I'm concerned about the Fleetwood having sat for so long, it looks nearly new and I'm thinking the mattress, fridge, ac, etc has a lot of life. Otoh, I like the fact that the Starcraft has solar (I will be camping off-grid). My concern with it is the level of wear-and-tear. Also, there's no ac.

I read through the List of things to look for, but would love to hear from others with experience with these two models in particular. So, pop-up pros and enthusiasts, which one sounds like the better first-time camper for a newbie?

2. Annunzi

Annunzi Active Member

I would go with the Fleetwood, but $9500 for a 2004 model seems like a pretty steep price. In my opinion, one of the biggest factors for wear on a pop up is how it's stored when not in use (meaning trailers stored outside tend to wear much faster than those stored under cover), so finding a unit that's been stored under cover is a huge plus for me. Things like LED lights and solar panels can be added quite easily. But if it has been sitting for awhile you'll definitely want to check out the bearings/tires/lift system/propane.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Concretecowgirl likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It is a very steep price. Yea, i know covid pricing.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20210624-144233_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Nada value. So even if it went for 100 percent over the avrage thats still 6,800. I know stuff is $$$ now, but i would not do it, unless i was flush with cash to throw away. I think in a year or 2 the values of all campers will drop back down to normal. I know this dosen't help with your search for one now.

Concretecowgirl likes this.
  5. Concretecowgirl

The first thing I said to the seller when I arrived was, "This trailer is way overpriced according to NAD." I then said if was willing to consider an offer, I'd take a look at it. He said he was open to all offers. Turns out the owner of a reputable auto repair shop is selling it for a friend. I pointed out that the tires are likely no good after having sat for so long. So, he will replace the tires, and grease and pack the bearings. He's also giving me a new battery and two propane tanks. I need to have the brake controller, receiver lock, ball, etc. to my car. He would also install those things as well (avg. price in my area is $500 to install those things).

It rained all day today, so I'm going to look at the trailer again tomorrow to see if there are any leaks. Then I'll likely offer $5,500 (and go no higher than 6000) out the door, which includes the things needed for my TV (NADA w/options = [$4,365]; tanks [200], tires [250] and battery [300], two stuff and install [500]). Does that sound reasonable?

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Personally I would take the starcraft.. my reasoning is appliances that have not been used in 15 years most likely won't want to work now..

Of you really want the other one.. I'd offer $3300 and no higher for the trailer.. Tires won't cost more the $200 for all 3, propane tanks are cheap to buy new ones and a battery will set you back no more then $100.. Then offer to pay for what your vehicle requires separately..

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Here is my two cents. As much as I love my Fleetwood you may find shops refuse to look at it if something was to break. So all repairs are going to be on you to fix. Also since Fleetwood is out of business parts for it are getting harder and more $$ to buy. So do keep that in mind if your not a handy person and was expecting to find shops to do the work. I wouldn’t care if the seller gave me the extras because I would be wanting to change the battery to something far better than what they are going to give you. I camp off grid a lot and upgraded to a group 29 battery and solar panel. Guarantee the seller is only going to buy the cheapest battery he can find. So in my eye that is no incentive to buy from them. The price is far out there for the Fleetwood, four years before Covid I bought my Fleetwood Utah for nearly $4000. Now Covid brought out some crazy prices out.
    The camper that was sitting unused would be needing to looked over very carefully to make sure everything is still working. Make sure bugs haven’t moved into the furnace vents, propane tubes, AC vents. Honestly more things I find break or go wrong when things sit then when it gets used.
    Also something to mention as I’m not quite sure the roof on that Fleetwood. There are serious problems with the Fleetwood alumitite roof. If that camper has roof bike tracks with a thousand screws, it is actually covering two long seams and the manufacturer did not seal this seam or even waterproof the screws. Overtime that roof can begin to leak if you don’t watch it very carefully and seal every inch of that track and the screw holes. I personally yanked my tracks off and dealt with the seam unfortunately not before a good chunk of damage has been done. So do keep that in mind especially if your camper is going to be stored in the elements.

8. Concretecowgirl

Thank you all for your replies. I slept on it another night, and have decided not to make an offer on the Fleetwood.