2004 Viking 2465 ST opinions

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Billy29, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Billy29

Billy29 Member

A friend at work is selling his 2004 Viking 2465 ST. It's in real nice shape and he took good care of it. The only issue he explained to me is the front storage compartment has a soft spot where some water got in. He believes it happened once because it has not gotten worse since he noticed it and he has not seen evidence of a leak. I'm somewhat handy so replacing some wood isn't a big deal. Also would it be a bad idea to epoxy the soft wood and fiberglass the inside of the storage compartment? What are some things to look out for? Is this a quality trailer?

This is my first pop up and I want something a little more comfortable than my Eureka Tent. Is $2,000 a fair price ?

Thanks,
    Billy

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Just look real close at the water damage. If it looks like a easy repair and everything else works like it should and your are comfortable in the purchase than go for it. You did not say what options it may have A/C, toilet, shower, awning, ect... Go here an check the boxes that applies to camper. Good luck!!

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2004/Viking/M-2465ST/6005976

3. Billy29

Billy29 Member

[SNZ]It has everything except air conditioning. I have no reason not to trust him as he's a coworker and I have to see him everyday. I'm not crazy about OSB but it seem like every manufacturer uses it. Book value says around $4,000 but it does have the rot issue. I don't mind repairing it if this is a quality trailer. The canvas is mint and is bright white and the interior is pretty clean. How long of a life can you expect out of a camper like this. He used it every year but took care of it.

4. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

I bought the same camper last year for $3500, but with air conditioning and other extras (BAL leveler, Thetford, mem foam, etc). Also had the front storage wood rot that the previous owner fixed and I've had no issues since.

I'd say go for it....not every day you find one that is well taken care of. That's what sealed the deal with mine.

Just make sure you have the TV to haul it....it's pretty heavy, especially once you load it down with gear. The electric brakes are there for a reason!

Let me know if you have any questions..

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

For 2K, sounds pretty good. If you take care of it and do regular maintenance it should last for 20 + years, just my opinion though,I would be more worried about lift system working properly than anything else.

6. Billy29

Billy29 Member

I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser so it should be fine behind it. I'm going to go look at it in two weeks once the threat of snow is gone. It is wrapped up in a tarp in his back yard right now. He also said he replaced the tires last year.

How hard is it to add air conditioning? What is a good brand of air conditioner to get?

7. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Mine has the Dometic which is the factory install and it turns the pup into an ice box if it's on all night.

I've never added an AC, so I'm not sure how difficult it is. If the search function is working on this site (it hasn't been working recently) you will find all kinds of info on brands and install.

FWIW - you might want to go without it and see if it's really needed. We went on four camping trips last year (including 15 days in July - east coast) and we only used the AC two times and one of those was just to dehumidify the interior.

Also consider the types of camp sites you will be using. If you're camping at non-electric sites (i.e. most national parks), you'll need a good sized generator to run it which is another expense.

8. Billy29

Billy29 Member

That is another question. Do the National Parks stick you right on top of each other?

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

$2k sounds like a good deal on the camper. In regards to adding an AC after fact at a RV shop, I was quoted $1000. There are some that successfully added the AC on their own to save money. You do have to know if the camper has the AC braces in the roof before you can add one. Others have just bought a portable AC unit to use.

In regards to national/state parks in my experience there is a little buffer between sites, not as much as you would normally see in the tent section though. Private campground s is where you may be on top of each other. So I try to avoid those places myself.

10. Billy29

Billy29 Member

[PUT]How does Viking compare to a Coleman or other brands? Is this a quality camper?

11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Pretty much all campers are made about the same now. They all use cheap and lightweight parts. As long as it was well maintained and otherwise in good condition with the floorplan you like, go for it.

13. Stevo

Stevo New Member

I got one two years ago for 3300$ It has a strong frame and a lot of features. I had to rebuild my front tool box floor also. Looked like a leaky marker light was the problem. Love the separate shower and toilet. I have completed a lot of up grades. LEDs, lift kit, volt meter, frig fans etc.
    Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14. Billy29

Billy29 Member

What do you guys think of using epoxy to repair the front storage box?

15. Lincoln52

Lincoln52 Member

Does it have the Goshen lift system? The winch is on the front.

16. Billy29

Billy29 Member

I don't know which system it has yet. I'm going to go look at it in a few weeks. If it has the IDT system is this something that can be fixed?

17. Billy29

Billy29 Member

Here are some pictures. As you can see it looks nice for $2000 even with the front compartment floor needing to be fixed. Can any of you tell by the picture what lift system it has?

https://flic.kr/p/Sh53a8

18. Billy29

Billy29 Member

https://flic.kr/p/RbzvJA

19. Billy29

Billy29 Member

https://flic.kr/p/RebMk2

20. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

I would look at the under part of the trailer for floor rot. If you can research on how to fix and patch it and feel comfortable with that. I'd have no idea.. $2000 is a great price if it won't leak. Always look for no rips holes or tears in the canvas and vinyl those are the most costly tof repair the under part of the trailer look up and look for rot in the flooring or a paint where he could have been hiding the rot..
    I have a 1992 I paid 2,800 in CA for it that's a great price for a used trailer in great conditions in Ca!. I have had mine for 3 years, we have gone to the Grand Canyon and take it out just about every month. We have by far gotten our money's worth. Just noticed you posted pictures. I'll take a look.