2005 Fleetwood allegiance aluminum roof repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by GreenEnvy22, Jul 26, 2021.

1. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Member

Hi all,
    We have a 2005 Fleetwood allegiance. For the past several months, we've noticed the back half of the roof has been sagging and ceiling felt soft there. I've had a cover over the roof most of the time to prevent further damage, and am now tackling repairing it.

The leaks appear to be with the roof rails. I intend to just remove them and use eternabond to cover over the seems in the aluminum that were under the roof racks. The screws from the roof rack look like they are intended to hold that seam together, so I'm thinking I should put them back in before I apply the eternabond?

For the inside, has anyone done a repair to one of these roofs with it still attached? or do I need to remove it and flip it upside down? The whole back half of the ceiling, from about 2ft behind (to left of when looking from doorway) to the back, as well as the vertical rear piece, will need to be replaced.

Some photos attached.
    There is a sticker above the door on the ceiling that says: Destiny Top 4768D506

Thanks in advance for any input.
    What it looks like with the ceiling partially pulled out:
    20210726_161749.jpg

What it looked like before:
    20210726_161015.jpg
    20210726_161010.jpg

2. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Member

So I did end up repairing this in place.
    I peeled and scraped away all the old plywood, leaving just the foam behind. I did the rear 8 feet.
    I also did the same to the rear ceiling vertical piece.
    I added a couple more support strips into the ceiling, removing a bit of foam to install them. That gave me some more places to screw the new ceiling panels into.
    I glued the new panels into the ceiling with pl premium and the 300 foam glue. I also used a dozen or so screws per 4*8 panel.
    Then I moved to the outside. I removed the end caps, and the roof rails, and cleaned away all the old butyl tape and caulk, using a scraper and mineral spirits.
    Once clean, I applied eternabond all down the seams. The corners had large holes that looks like they just had duct tape applied at the factory, so I did eternabond there to.
    Then I reinstalled the end caps and caulked with a non-silicone window/door caulk.
    I still need to apply some seam tape inside just for looks, and a few other minor trim bits to reinstall.
    Hoping it's all nice and dry now.
    20210804_102430.jpg 20210804_102439.jpg

3. Jonathan Shea

Jonathan Shea New Member

Hey I have a fleetwood same year.. have been fortunate enough that the roof hasn't leaked like that. But I noticed the aluminum rails around the top had all the horizontal screw/or rivets not sure what's supposed to be there removed. Any idea if they are structural..though you might have some insight were you had it all apart. Thanks