2005 Fleetwood Bayside Refrigeratos/Water Heater questions

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Backtonature, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

HI! I just purchased this camper last week and just now getting around to investigate some items ect

I do have a Domestic fridge and the PO said it would run on 110 or Propane? I also think I have Water Heater and have found what I think is the Propane gas supply to it which has the pilot lighting instructions, however I can't locate the actual water heater....

I really don't know much about how these appliances works and haven't tried to fool with it yet, without some guidance.

I do need to check my LP tank for for fuel..haven't done that yet either.

I would appreciate any pics and information that y'all can provide tht will help guide me in checking out these two appliances, heck! the W/H may be rotted out and can't be used, however I don't know that yet.

Thanks!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The water heater is on the outside. The door will be about 12 X 12 with a small screen in one corner.
    Copy down the make and model number of the refrigerator (Usually on the inside where the food is kept) and download the owners manual from the web.
    When you find the water heater do the same, its make and model usually is on the side as you open the door.

3. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

Thanks! for the info I will do that. I think my water heater is inside the compartment that has the pilot ignition because that's where the PRV is..but I'm thinking maybe the big storage box on the front of the trailer must have a compartment that houses the W/H -- is it a rectangle or round one?

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 7.28.24 PM.png

From left to right. Large black circle> fresh water tank fill
    Middle black circle> city water connection
    Lower black circle> cable TV Connection
    Next up ......Water heater, has twist lock on top
    Valve with red knob> fresh water tank drain
    Far right ......Chrome grille> furnace exhaust
    Large grille above > Refrigerator ..... usually will have 2 grilles, lower for controls upper for heat exhaust .......... (this hybrid camper has the other on the roof)

These are just examples of common exterior fittings.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The water heater is actually located in the front trunk behind an access panel which thankfully you only need to get into when winterizing. Otherwise on the outside of the front trunk behind a grate is where you drain or light the water heater.
    Oh by the way if your looking for the water pump, you will need to take the screws out of the kickplate on the slideout. Took me hours to find it and purely by accident. Again thankfully you only need to get in there if you are winterizing and that’s if you are trying to bypass the water tank.
    Not sure on your, but my fridge is three way, but you don’t ever want to use it on 12v unless hooked up to the Tow vehicle. On mine you see two switches, one green and one red and the propane dials. Sadly my propane blows out if it’s windy so I have a lousy time keeping mine operational, but others have no problems. or maybe there is something wrong with mine.

6. Econ

Econ Active Member

If a 20 pound propane tank, weigh it. Subtract 16.6 pounds, divide by 4.2 pounds= gallons of propane in the tank.

My Dometic refrig eats 14.6 AMPS DC an hour. It is the TV that takes you to the emergency room. Chose wisely when you use TV battery for anything camper related, especially if it is not running/CHARGING. Some will tow on 12 volts and unplug the Bargeman Plug when stopped/ alternator not charging.

The refrig might run on propane while running down the road. It is a little bit of a pain to enter the lower half of the camper door and crawl over to the refrig to turn it off which is what I do 100' from the gas pumps before refueling. Then crawl back in and turn it on.

7. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

Well, thanks for all the input. I appreciate it!

I have done the following today:

1.) Ensures I had sufficient amount of propane in the tank and purged the lines. I then tried the following:

1.) replaced the old battery with the new battery.
    The interior lights work and the CD detector. I tried to run the refrigerator off the 12V but it would not run so I turned off the switch. I hooked up my 110 cord to the refrigerator power cord, turned on the power switch, but it still didn't run. I tried to run the refrigerator off the propane, however I was only getting the propane to the meter block, but nothing out of it to the ignite, The igniter does spark...could be the therm o coupler?

2.) I tried to light the water heater once I located it and I get propane to the meter block but not to the igniter, so I was not able to fire this up either...could this be the Therm o coupler?

3.) AC gasket leak and heavy rains last night. I cleaned up all the water inside on the floor rug, then mopped the floor. I also put some buckets around the ac unit interior cover to catch the residual water and it dripped most of the day> I finally decided to take the ac plastic inside cover off while the dripping was still going on. I got the cover removed and saw the galvanized interior bracket that had 4 bolts (1) in each corner. I looked at the bolts and there were (3) that had a space of about 1/4" that was not screw in and the 4th looked like it was screwed in flush. I got my ratchet and a socket to fit the heads to the bolts and started to seat the (3) bolts and the 4th that I thought was flush with the metal was not. I was able to screw in all 4 bolts a little past hand tight at this time and there was a bunch of water that pushed out too. I know now that the ac gasket created my inside ceiling water damage must have been leaking for a long time...I will bite my tongue at this time or I would type some wording that would be inappropriate to post.

Well, that's where I'm at on what is not a project for me, however my wife enjoyed doing her thing inside the pup and that made me feel much better.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You will never "hear" the refrigerator running. it doesn't have any moving parts. Leave it plugged in to 110 VAC and check back in a day if the food compartment is getting colder.
    Do you understand the water heater controls?? You need to do some reading. And never lite the water heater without water in it. What water heater model do you have?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

I have a Suburban Brand, however I will have to get the model number tomorrow and post.

Thanks for help. I appreciate it

10. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Bleed out the propane lines good, use the inside stove and get the air out. If you can get the pilot lit, you have propane. It takes a bit to light the water heater. Ditto on the fridge, and it takes a while to cool it down. If your ac gasket is shot they sell replacements.

12. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

13. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

I gotcha! I'm going back out to check on something and I will purge the the gas through the inside stove...man I should have thought of that:grin: