2005 Fleetwood Niagara Roof Seam

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by G8tor38, May 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM.

1. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Since navigating the site doesn’t seem to be a strong point of mine and I don’t want to start a thread if one is in progress, can anyone tell me if there is a thread on repairing leaks on the center seam of the 2005 Niagara and can you tell me what type of roof this unit has? I watched the video from Beckley‘’a bit still unsure if mine is #2 or #3 in the video.
    My problems is leaking when the a/c is running, replaced gasket, put caulk around areas on the seam I felt needed it, but the truth it the plastic cover on the seem is shrunk back from under the a/c so I think when the water builds up it finds its way down the channel, and yes I did caulk the ends so not sure why it’s leaking. the bad is it takes about two days before it starts to show, or if you run the a/c and then close it up and move it, then mater drips everywhere (or has in the past).
    I assume the center seam needs to be removed, cleaned along the seam and then put down eternabond tape, replace the aluminum seam strip and Install new cover (anyone know where to get new aluminum strip?) , any other advice or help with a current thread is welcomed.
    22BDAF27-2942-45F5-9865-209A26463643.jpeg
    The picture is of some damage the leaks are causing when the unit has run a while. Water will leak out of the taped seam area in the ceiling on the inside and the only water I can find is on the roof near the center seam.
    Thanks

2. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm very curious what the answer is. My 2009 has similar damage, although not quite as severe. I have not found any leaks, but I also have yet to use the AC unit since we've gotten it. Makes me wonder if the AC pan itself is overflowing and leaking into the camper.

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

The A/C gasket needs to be replaced every 6 or 7 years no matter if you use it or not . If you have a center trim strip running down the length of your roof i wouldn't mess with it too much , run a bead of Dicor self-leveling caulk down each side of it then cover the works with Eternabond . Done

4. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

I agree bols, that would be the easiest, but I don’t think it would look the best, it would free up a lot of time, lol. I ran a bead of caulk down everything I thought could remotely need it but someone sealed this thing real good in the past and honestly the only areas were at the ends of the center strip where it runs under the a/c unit. This area has no screw cover on it since it shrunk back or has been pulled back on each side and now is too stiff to push back (I do have new on the way). I think I fixed the leaking coming in the back side by forcing the new a/c gasket (accidentally) directly in front of the center trim after caulking and blocking any water entry. I caulked the front part as well but later noticed water coming between the seems from under the seam tape inside. It boggles my mind since nothing was noticed the previous day when I ran the a/c after installing the new gasket, but I assume it is a small leak that takes time to work it’s way into the inside or the camper.
    The first time we had an issue was last summer when we pulled it up to the house to prep for camping at the family reunion in Georgia. I always dread opening the camper after it has sat for a while in fear of leaks but when we opened the camper up all was good as it usually is, I’ve just heard so many horror stories on these things. After everything checked out we closed it up unknowing that the a/c had leaked on top of the inside roof and spilled out after we moved the camper all over the canvas, curtains and cushions.
    I also had ice cold a/c the day before I changed the gasket but now it’s not as cold for some reason. Ive also noticed prior to changing the gasket that the amount of condensation use to flow off the roof like a river since I am in Central Florida, but now just drips, and not much either I might add. This a/c has always poured water out of it. Both drain holes are crystal clean but only see water coming out one side which I assume is due to the camper leaning that way and not completely level.
    Well after sealing everything and installing the new gasket, seeing water again inside the camper just bums me out.
    I am tired of working on this thing every outing, thinking of going to the dark side and buy a fifth wheel, but then I think that they have 2 and 3 air conditioners so that’s even more work, lol.
    The crazy thing is there is not much to these things and I don’t see a entry point for water that would let the water inside the camper, really upsetting to say the least so I’m thinking of stripping the center line trim, install eternabond tape and reset the trim and new screw covers.
    I should mention that there was so much damage we are dealing with insurance on repairs now, problem is no one wants to work on these and if they do the cost is so extreme they would total the camper and there is no need for that, so I am going to do the repairs once we settle the claim.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

#2 is an AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof which was never used on any Highlander models. Your's is #3, a conventional aluminum skin roof with a centre seam.

6. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Thanks Grey Fox for the help, good information to know.