2005 Fleetwood Utah?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SlinginIron, Jan 2, 2018.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

SlinginIron,
    Have you posted before and after pictures of you canvas replacement? We are considering replacing the canvas. Curious to see the pup set up fully with the old and with the new canvas, mainly from the outside to see what the new color scheme looks like compared to the OEM color scheme (color accents, etc.). If you have a separate thread with those pics, could you share that link here?

Maybe here too? ;o)
    Thanks

2. SlinginIron

SlinginIron Active Member

Alright, We finally used the popup! It was fun! I was hoping to do an overnight shake-down before we really traveled but, I ran out of weekends.
    IMG_0614.jpg
    I wanted to check wheels and tires for heat on our way however, the day we left the temp had gone from the mid 70s to upper 90s and everything was hot to the touch.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. SlinginIron

Davekro,
    I actually don't think I have an after photo. I'll check.
    IMG_2260.JPG
    Above is a before photo. It is hard to tell from here but there were a lot of stains from water damage and little burn holes in the screens and sunbrella, as well as some rips in the vinyl around the slide out.
    The new canvas is the same, grey sunbrella, light grey roof vinyl, and blue vinyl at the bottom. The before picture looks as though it had some red stitching at the top of the vinyl but, I didn't even remember that. I asked canvas replacements to keep it as stock as possible. I had been toying with the idea of changing the color scheme. I know they offer a few different colors of both the sunbrella and the vinyl and you can customize to your preferences. I also thought about changing the clear plastic windows to the tinted but, I left them alone as well.
    IMG_0616.jpg
    I know it's a horrible comparison picture but, I don't have one in the daylight as of yet. I should be able to get one after next weekend.

davekro and AMC like this.
  4. SlinginIron

I found a water leak from the fill hose to where it attached on the fresh water tank, I tightened the hose clamp and it got worse so, I will be replacing that. I also had a leak inside of the front trunk from the lines near the hot water heater. Nothing major that can't easily be repaired but, I don't enjoy campgrounds so I need to be able to retain what water I have. The hot water heater works like a champ, I do need a new anode rod at some point. Also, I believe the leak was pretty bad as my water pump seemed to be sucking air somewhere. I do plan on upgrading the water pump to a higher GPM as well. We flushed the clean water system a couple of times with bleach and then vinegar. I wasn't trying to go after the scale in the system but, it did clean things up a little even in just a couple of hours.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. SlinginIron

Is there a faster way to sanitize the fresh water system? Goodness, it took me an entire day and I went through a lot of water. I was worried about my little 12v water pump with how much I was running it.

6. SlinginIron

The furnace did work, not that I needed it but, I was trying things out. I was a little worried when I got it turned on and felt hot air, then switched it off and it didn't turn off right away! It seems to have a cool-down function which keeps the fan on for a couple of minutes. The refrigerator worked as expected on 12v and 120v. I don't think I ever got the pilot to light on it for the propane though. I'm really not certain if I'm even trying to light it in the correct spot. Oh, well I'll get it sorted.

7. SlinginIron

Oddly enough, through all of this work, I've really been excited about the awning. I've never had one, I've wished I'd had one, and I had no Idea if we had all the pieces or what condition it was in. Besides reinstalling it on the roof upside-down, which was a quick couple of screws and a flip at the campsite, I had an awning!
    IMG_0617.jpg
    A porch light as well!

AMC and davekro like this.
  8. SlinginIron

Packed up and ready to go, the trip was a "great success"!
    IMG_0634.jpg

davekro likes this.
  9. SlinginIron

I hauled this back from Montana with an F-150 and I really couldn't tell it was behind me. This time I loaded it as heavy as I could, and filled the water tank. Trunk was full my wife's exploder was full, and ambient air temperature was pretty hot. I could definitely tell it was behind the 'sploder (mostly because of the engine fan was roaring) but, really with the little V8 and the new radials on the camper it hauled really well. No need for anti-sway as long as you don't get jerking in corners at high speed. I was concerned about tongue weight on the 'sploder but, it really only squatted it an inch at most. (The previous photo has the nose of the vehicle on a slight uphill)

10. AMC

AMC Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to replace your canvas? I also have sunbrella material.

11. SlinginIron

It was right at $1500.

AMC likes this.
  12. AMC

AMC Member

Ok, great!! So worth it!

13. davekro

davekro Active Member

My 10 gal fresh water tank has a drain with a valve. That is how I let the cleaning and rinsing water out. You might be able to add one if you don't have a drain hose w/ a valve.

AMC and SlinginIron like this.
  14. Paul_A

Paul_A New Member

Congratulations on a successful rebuild! You did an excellent job bringing that camper back to life. Great thread as well. Good luck!

SlinginIron and AMC like this.
  15. SlinginIron

Yes, I'm really glad we did it.

AMC likes this.
  16. SlinginIron

Thank you!

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations!

I was about to write that it's not uncommon for TT dealers to "wholesale" out pups. They don't have the experience with them. And honestly with all the variations from all the different manufacturers for the past two or three decades, it's probably unfair to expect them to have more.

SlinginIron likes this.
  18. JoeInPI

JoeInPI New Member

What a fantastic thread. I love writeups and always did big ones on the ExplorerForum and seeing this one was an awesome throwback. Being that I have a NTM 2005 Fleetwood Bayside, I loved seeing the go-through. I saved every one of your pics just in case lol! I luckily have a solid roof and no leaks, but I am pulling the racks, laying eternabond tape down, Grizzly Gripping the roof just for insurance, and was looking at their colors and saw the dove gray, and wondered how it would look with the gray stripes. Alas, one page later, you had it too! Love it. Thank you for posting all of this stuff, it's much appreciated!

How much Grizzly Grip material did you use overall?

AMC likes this.
  19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You only need a clean out the beginning of the season and don’t need to worry about it after that. I will fill a little bleach and water solution in the tank but don’t fill it all the way up just enough to fill all the lines. I bypass the hot water heater and then run the the pump long enough to push the bleach solution through the lines and let it sit for however long You feel you need. I then Manually dump the water tank and fill it with a little fresh water Again I don’t fill the whole tank up unless your planning to camp and use it. I run water through the lines until I stop smelling the bleach solution. You do use a lot of water but it sure doesn’t have to take all day Or burn out the pump. You mainly need to concentrate on making sure the lines filled up with the bleach solution not so much the tank. It shouldn’t take that long for the bleach solution to get out of the lines either.

SlinginIron likes this.