2005 Fleetwood Yuma New Tires

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by DanielFlorida, Jul 31, 2017.

1. DanielFlorida

DanielFlorida New Member

Not only am I new to the popup life, I am new to buying popup tires and the Ole Girl needs some new shoes. I am not 100% that these will even fit but I think they might based on other threads on here that I've read. I am really hoping that you popup / tire experts jump in here and help me out. Me and the family have a 6 hour drive, camping trip planned and I really don't want any tire troubles, so I am willing to pay the cash now to hopefully avoid those troubles. I am going to post 2 links and hope you wonderful folks can tell me which is the wiser choice and why...or so I am hoping....thanks to all that chime in!!!

http://recstuff.com/tire-wheel-comb...r-trailer-tire-lrc-on-5-bolt-white-mod-wheel/

http://recstuff.com/tire-wheel-comb...trailer-tire-lrd-on-5-bolt-white-spoke-wheel/

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

What size tires do you have on the camper now?

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

If these tires are the same size as the ones on now I would get the 2nd set in your links . Much more load carrying capacity . Make sure you balance them and air them up to MAX pressure as shown on the sidewall

4. DanielFlorida

DanielFlorida New Member

5.3 X 12

5. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

The right tire for you will depend of a few different factors. If the 5.3x12 tires currently on there are the correct size (check owner's manual or ID tag that can be found on trailer tongue or on inside of storage or interior cabinet doors), you should probably stick with that size. Choose a tire that has a combined weight capacity greater than the fully loaded weight of the camper (including water and propane tanks as well as all the gear you'll carry). If you find a Load Range C is sufficient, you can go with a higher load range D without negative effect.

The tire sizes you mentioned are almost 2 inches wider and 2 inches taller than what you curretly have. This would move the inside of the tire 1 inch closer to the trailer frame and the top of the tire 1 inch closer to the underside of the wheel well. Since we like to see 3 inches at the very least between the top of the tire and the underside of the fender/wheel well to allow for suspension deflection, you'd need to measure to ensure you'll have the proper clearance.

For more information about trailer tires, click the provided link:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-89.html

DanielFlorida likes this.
  6. DanielFlorida

DanielFlorida New Member

Okay
    Thank you for the advice John!!! Is a 5.3x12 tire the same size as a ST145/R12 tire?

7. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

FWIW I have basically the exact same trailer as you and have ST185/80D13 on it and have no issues at all. I like the idea of having the extra load capacity

8. DanielFlorida

DanielFlorida New Member

What pop-up do you have JiffyPop?

9. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

it says in his signature

10. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Its a 05 evolution E4- but really its a Yuma with evo badging. They only made like 5 of them but basically the same specs. Fleetwood probably had some extra parts laying around and slapped them together lol. But I run it with the 13's and they fit fine.

11. DanielFlorida

DanielFlorida New Member

Nice! I have a tire guy that actually owes me a favor so I am going to try to cash in that favor for a big discounted price on some radials for my popup lol..

12. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Let me know how they work out, so when it comes to replacing mine I can make the choice to go bigger or not. I've been toying with the idea of putting 13s on mine. Not so much for load but I worry about the 12s getting overheated on the hiway.

13. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

The two tires are essentially the same size, the 5.3 x 12 is about a 1/2 inch larger in diameter and has a section width almost identical with the 145/R12. The major difference is that the 5.3 x 12 is a bias ply tire and the 145/R12 is a radial. If he choice is available, I recommend going with the radial as they tend to ride more smoothly and shed heat better than a bias ply tire. This is a desirable attribute, as excessive heat is the number one cause of premature tire failure.

14. DanielFlorida

DanielFlorida New Member

But if I order just the tire, the 145/R12 I could have them mounted onto my existing rims that are on my popup camper correct? That might save me some money huh?

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Do you have a Northern Tool near you? They carry the same tire and you can usually find a 20% off coupon to use. I had to do that on my last trip due to a couple blowouts I had and they turned out to be the cheapest that had a tire in stock.

Check the air pressure when you get it - they typically are not aired up to their max at all.

So far I am OK with the ones I got although I did screw up and get a bias ply. I could have sworn I picked up a radial in the store but apparently not, so now I have bias ply on the pup for now. I can definitely tell they get warm compared to the radials. Hubs and bearings are fine but those tires do heat up.

16. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Just an FYI for anyone that finds this later the 145/R12 and 5.3 x 12 tires have the same rolling diameter. The 5.3 x 12 bias ply tires have a rounded tread section, while the 145/R12 radials have a flatter squared off tread section. So under normal rolling compress, the 5.3 x 12 sinks down to the same sidewall height as the radials.

Redneckpunk likes this.