2005 Niagara Add outdoor Speakers

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Igoo65, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Igoo65

Igoo65 Member

I have a 2005 Niagara that I would like to add outdoor speakers too. Has anyone done this modification? I am nervous about cutting into the outside of my camper. Is it better to add the speakers to the underside of the camper? What are the pros and cons, such as road debris, water, etc. ? What speakers do you suggest I use?
    Thanks for your help!

2. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

Perhaps you did this mod already. I am not familiar with the Nigara model you mentioned. I would recommend that you choose your speakers first. MCM Electronics and Parts Express both in central Ohio, (google them on the internet) can supply hundreds of different speakers. Running the wires is the toughest thing. I try to make very small holes when drilling to the outside and start with a small hole and move to a larger bit as necessary. I try to use existing holes in the exterior if I can. I don't think I would want to muffle my sound system by putting the speakers underneath, but maybe that would be a good place to run wires.

I hope this helps some.

3. ricko

ricko Member

I've only thought about it extensively... No cutting yet.

If I decide to pull the trigger and go for it, I'm going to use a set of 6 1/2" marine grade speakers as they will take the weather a bit better than regular paper cone speakers. Most all of the speakers have a state mounting depth - usually 3-4 inches. One should have plenty of space just to the rear of the door, about 6-12 inches off the bottom of the PUP. On the inside this would line up with the large cabinet space under the sink. Another spot that should line up would be between the fridge and the rear of the PUP. (most of the good spots to the front of the door would be blocked by the door or be in that space above the storage spot). You could run the wires under the PUP and cut very small, tight holes for those - make sure to caulk them to keep water and critters out.

Even better would be to find another Niagara with outside speakers and measure where they are on the PUP.

I would not bottom mount the speakers as you'll be reflecting sound all over the place which may have a less than positive effect on your neighbors.

The reason I haven't done this mod is that we just don't use the mounted radio much at all - we either watch games on the tube or use an XM portable radio for music, it sounds really nice and we already own it.

Good luck

Ricko

4. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I have a radio in mine and in the 4 years of camping I have turned it on maybe 3 times. Just my [2C]

5. Bygracealone

Bygracealone New Member

Igoo, did you ever install the speakers? Curious, because I just bought an 05 Niagara and was thinking about this very same mod...

6. Igoo65

Igoo65 Member

Bygracealone,
    I went a different direction and wired in two outlets that would allow me to plug in some weatherproof rock speakers. I will attach a link that a guy did the same thing and documented it really well. I like what he did because I didn't have to cut into the side of the camper. Good luck!
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=43268.msg306271#msg306271

Igoo65