2005 Utah Metal Roof Painting and Caulking

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by PittJosh81, May 30, 2021.

1. PittJosh81

PittJosh81 New Member

I think the previous owner used regular tub and shower caulking to seal the nooks and crannies (and the roof rails) - will this be a problem in the long run? Should I use a caulk remover to remove it and use something different? What product do ya'll recommend to seal?

Also, can I paint over caulking (existing or new)? I'd like for my roof to be all one color, and it's faded in some spots and the caulking is this off-white/yellowed color - yuck. What kind of paint can I use for the roof? Flex seal paint? :)

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Remove whats there , seal with dicore self leveling for the top, and non sag for the sides. Some stuff can be painted over, silicone can not. So depends on whats there and how good you remove it. I would not use flex seal. There are better options that others can give you for paints.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

just redid the top of my HiLo, thin aluminum skin. All kinds of old sealant layers. Painter tried solvent that removed the paint, heat gun, putty knife and sand paper, elbow grease won. spray Primed with zinsser primer (oil base ?) then Dicor lap sealant which can be painted once it skins over (never hardens), then color match paint, even did the air cond cover. Turd floater tested 5/28/21, no leaks.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Karl Mortensen

Karl Mortensen New Member

What kind of paint did you use?