[2005 Vikings] - Lift System Broke

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by blue, Apr 12, 2012.

1. blue

blue New Member

Our latest popup trip our lift system for the roof broke on our popup. We were still able to camp after propping up the roof with 2x4s and upon our return took our popup camper to the shop. The shop called coachmen (who now does Viking Pop Ups and they indicated the company that use to do the lift system for Viking is now out of business and a new company has a new lift system. Apparently, the entire lift system has to be replaced, about $900 in parts and $900 in labor.

Does anybody have any similar experience or insight?

Thanks in advance.

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I also have an '05....mine hasn't broken, but this is pretty much what I was told when I contacted Coachman to see if the recall work had been done on the lift system (didn't know about any of this when I purchased). You may want to contact them directly and give them the VIN to make sure the re-call work was done; if it hasn't, perhaps they would provide the new system for free. Another easy way to tell is to look at your crank; if your crank socket is round then you've had the re-call performed....if it is square than the re-call wasn't performed. Also, the re-call provided 2 c-channel posts to place over your telescoping arms at opposite corners as an emergency fail safe.

There were a few years (I think '05 was the last) where Viking used the IDT lift system, which is a direct drive system. In theory, it was a novel concept; in practice, there were more negatives than positives so Viking switched back to the Goshen system (which I think they're still using). The theoretical pluses to the IDT direct drive were that there were less moving parts, and therefore less opportunity for something to go wrong. The IDT system is all springs and completely self contained, no pulleys or cables. They also boasted of the fact that it was "maintenance free"....you will notice that there aren't any greasing points on the system. The downside in hindsite, is that being self contained, if something went wrong, customers ended up having to purchase a complete lift system rather than just a part or a few parts. Further, and this is just opinion, but I feel as though the IDT system is a bit more sensative to SPUTs than other systems....and like I said, if you break something you're looking at a whole new system. Additionally, the original system didn't have a brake on it, so roofs tended to come crashing down; the re-call fixed this issue, as well as provided for two c-channel posts to place at opposite corners over the telescoping arms.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Whoever it was that told you to replace the entireift system is either a liar, an idiot or both. Forest River bought the name and ow makes Viking campers.

Contact them for parts if you want to do it yourself or take it to a camper repair shop staffed by people who know what they're talking about.

When you do contact Forest River, you'll need the VIN to make sure you get the right parts.

Http://www.forestriverinc.com] need the VIN to make sure you get the right parts.

Http://www.forestriverinc.com

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

5. blue

blue New Member

This is correct, Vikings Pop-Up Campers 2004 or earlier or 2007 and after use a Goshen Lift System; 2005 & 2006 use the IDT system. The system has no pulleys or cables, just a single wormgear box (60ish pounds, 5 feet long, 6inches, by 6 inches) with some springs. There was some fallout between Viking and IDT regarding some warrantly work and recalls and eventually the two companies parted ways. Consequently, IDT went backrupt and ceased building these wormgear boxes (this is the singular part cwolfman13 mentioned). Because this single part\box\wormgear no longer exists, to restore the cranking functionality of the camper, the whole system has to be replaced.

My service department quoted me about $1,800 (parts and labor). Most of the labor would be prefabricating and having to cut the new system to fit on my old camper. UGH!

However, a small miracle happened for me. I called the original owner to inquiry about the warranty\recall. He indicated he had it done in 2009 and he gave me the name of the shop that did it. When I called the shop, he knew all about the Viking campers and the IDT lift system. He said his shop was well aware of the pending issues at the time (2006\2007ish) and the pending bankruptcy of IDT. Because they had two (smaller) 2005 Pop-up Campers they were renting out, they proactively purchased two backup wormgear systems. They have since sold one rental camper and the second is for sale. And because these were smaller campers, they never had the problems the bigger ones had (like my camper; big roof with AC). They had one remaining wormgear box (still in the box) and they sold it to me for $500.

Small miracle, but a miracle nonetheless.

6. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Has me wondering.....My 96 Viking works okay, but it has the square crank and wondering if the recall cover pop ups made in the 90's.

7. blue

blue New Member

I am the second owner and the original owner said the warranty\recall work was done. I do have the round crank-socket and the two c-channel posts to cover two opposite corner telescoping arms.

I spoke to the dealership (who sold me the new wormgear box) and he indicated cranking the roof of slowly works best, but my roof is SO HEAVY, I really have to put some muscle into it. The dealership guy also said he saw a machinist do away with his crank and chain. Instead, he brought the gear-shaft (into the wormgear box) straight out of the box, attached a lugnet end (???) to the end of the shaft and attached a reduction gear. At which point, he used power drill to slowly lift the roof.

I might have to look into this.

8. blue

blue New Member

It could not hurt to call coachmen with your VIN number. However, I am pretty sure this recall had to do with the wormgear box that IDT did. If you have a 96, you definitely have a Goshen system.

9. Dubbya

*Dubbya is weeping, begging for forgiveness, entirely humbled, humiliated and completely corrected!*

Nonetheless, ol' blue is in a bad situation. I hope that recall hasn't been done and that Forest River will perform the recall/replacement. I emailed them for part numbers and prices yesterday and they got right back to me.

It looks like they bought some high-dollar problems! They sure seem nice enough to deal with. Let's hope they're willing to do the right thing.

Blue, if you haven't yet, you might want to check out this recall list:

Build Years/Makes/Models:
    2005 COACHMEN FUTURA
    2004 - 2006 COACHMEN CLIPPER SPORT
    2004 - 2005 COACHMEN CLIPPER SPIRIT
    2004 - 2006 COACHMEN CLIPPER CLASSIC
    2004 - 2006 VIKING LEGEND
    2004 - 2006 VIKING EPIC
    2004 - 2005 VIKING SAGA

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN CAMPING TRAILERS, THE INNOVATIVE DESIGN TECHNOLOGIES ROOF LIFT SYSTEM IS DEFECTIVE AND MAY FAIL ALLOWING THE ROOF TO COLLAPSE UNEXPECTEDLY.
    Consequence: SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR PERSONAL INJURY TO ANY OCCUPANTS INSIDE THE TRAILER AT THE TIME OF FAILURE.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE NECESSARY PARTS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 27, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THEIR LOCAL DEALERS. IF UNABLE TO FIND A LOCAL DEALER, CONTACT VIKING AT 1-800-239-6157.

Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¬S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236; (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/viking/

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

You're fine, the recall was only for the IDT Direct Drive lift system which was only used for a couple of years in the 2000s.

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Did you by chance inquire as to the feesibility of retrofitting a Goshen lift system? I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for them to do. When mine goes, I'm hoping they can do something like that....that way, all I have to do is replace parts for future failures.

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

LOL.......no begging necessary [8D]

13. blue

blue New Member

No. But I am sure that would be even more expensive because the Goshen system is so different. First and foremost, if a popup has an IDT system then the unit does not have the infrastructure to support a pully and cable system. I am not sure what new infrastructure would be needed; maybe bigger arms, new cranks, cable housing, arm housings, etc...

The parts for the L&W system (similar to IDT) is $800 and there is labor to fabricate and fit the system for the Viking campers, so the estimate I got was $1,800. Anything more than $2,000 and I am looking to buy a newer-used pop-up camper than investing that money into a7/8 year old (2004\2005) popup camper. Just my opinion.

14. Dubbya

My thoughts exactly!

15. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Yeah....I would agree with that as well. I have my fingers crossed that nothing breaks anytime soon....I've only had the p'up for a season.

16. eroane

eroane New Member

blue;
    I just replaced my IDT Main Tube Assembly last week. The new one had been sitting in the garage all winter. Forest River Part #1039705 $1,120.00. I replaced it myself, but you do have to cut all four springs to the correct length for your particular model. Mine is a Viking Saga 2107 Model 520 2005.
    Thanks
    Ed

17. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

This is can happen[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. wraenking

wraenking New Member

i just came across this post. I am not home so i am not sure which system i have. I have an 04 viking legend 2465 st with a front winch. I have the square hole for the crank, but i have the 2 corner braces. I was told by vkiing that the recall is not applicable since my winch id in the fron. Has anyone heard that?

Thanks

19. Dubbya

wraenking, you can see for yourself, the Viking Legend is on the recall list and that the recall doesn't say anything at all about where the winch is located. Since you have both braces, it appears that the recall may already have been done.

Build Years/Makes/Models:
    2005 COACHMEN FUTURA
    2004 - 2006 COACHMEN CLIPPER SPORT
    2004 - 2005 COACHMEN CLIPPER SPIRIT
    2004 - 2006 COACHMEN CLIPPER CLASSIC
    2004 - 2006 VIKING LEGEND
    2004 - 2006 VIKING EPIC
    2004 - 2005 VIKING SAGA
    Units affected: 3624
    Recall Number: 05V364000

Summary: ON CERTAIN CAMPING TRAILERS, THE INNOVATIVE DESIGN TECHNOLOGIES ROOF LIFT SYSTEM IS DEFECTIVE AND MAY FAIL ALLOWING THE ROOF TO COLLAPSE UNEXPECTEDLY.
    Consequence: SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR PERSONAL INJURY TO ANY OCCUPANTS INSIDE THE TRAILER AT THE TIME OF FAILURE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE NECESSARY PARTS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 27, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THEIR LOCAL DEALERS. IF UNABLE TO FIND A LOCAL DEALER, CONTACT VIKING AT 1-800-239-6157.

Notes: CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¬S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236; (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Source: http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/22484-recall/

You might want to call Forest River (They now own the Viking line) to find out for sure. You'll probably need your camper's VIN number.

Montica likes this.
  20. wraenking

wraenking New Member

i saw that list and thats why i called. Should i not have a round crank shaft?

Thanks