2006 Fleetwood E2 Blown Fuse

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by civilute, Jul 14, 2011.

1. civilute

civilute New Member

I purchased my 2006 E2 a month ago and I have had fuse problems ever since.
    Everything runs great when plugged into AC, but the DC did not work. I looked at the fuses and the 20 amp fuse was blown. Everything worked great, until I hooked it up to my truck again. Bottom line, every time I hook my truck up to the trailer I blow a 20 amp fuse. This means the battery will not charge while traveling...worse the E-brakes will not work when connected or in the event the trailer becomes disconnected.

Host vehicle is 2002 Dodge Dakota V-8 4.7L 4 door 4wd sport 2-in ball with distribution hitch. Standard dealer installed 7-pin connector.

Has anyone experienced this before? Quick fix? Suggestions on where to start?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Make sure the battery on your PUP isn't hooked up backwards. That will pop fuses on the DC side.

3. civilute

civilute New Member

So I found the cause of the blown fuse, but I don't think I have everything working right still.

The negative prong on the pigtail connector (trailer side) was rusted away. It was tough to see because it was deep inside the connector. $8 pigtail replacement ... just took it out after fixing and the fuse did NOT blow. (phew, thought it would be a much bigger problem.)

I am still experiencing two issues.

First and most important, I do not have trailer brakes. Any ideas?

Second, the exterior lights (by the door and over the cargo area) do not turn on when the trailer is down. I checked with the dealer and they said that these lights are designed to come on always.

Thanks for any suggestions.