2006 Fleetwood Niagra electrical help

the4grows

Jun 19, 2019
Dallas Texas
We have had our camper for 3 months. When we were cleaning and renovating it, we plugged it in at our garage and everything worked. The fridge got nice and cool. Plugged in at several campsites now and our fridge won’t cool and several outlets aren’t working in the kitchen area. The fuses and circuits seem to work. The refrigerator light comes on. It is a 3 way. We have no battery hooked up. We have used our grill with propane but nothing else.

Is this a wiring issue in that a wire is maybe not right and it’s taking out everything else or is there somewhere else we should start?

My only thought is that since the fridge light comes on but it doesn’t cool and outlets don’t work that there’s something we are missing about how it all operates. If it was something to do with wires in succession not working then wouldn’t the fridge light not work also? I have tried moving the dial on the fridge.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
There could/should be a GFCI outlet on the trailer that is powering the other outlets. It may also be doing the outlet for the fridge. Mine is on the outside, curbside, rear. Take a look for it, and with the trailer plugged into 120v, push the test and reset buttons on it. See if that helps. The light inside the fridge is probably 12v so it will work when on battery power.

the4grows

Jun 19, 2019
Dallas Texas
Thanks for the quick response! I ran out to look but can’t find anything on the outside. We did check the GFCI on the inside by pressing a reset button. It didn’t help. I opened up the panels that get to the back of the fridge and there’s an outlet but not GFCI. We did discuss replacing the inside one to see if it helps.

Spridle

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2011
Plug a test light into the same outlet as the fridge, to be sure that outlet specifically has power. I have one of those super dim nightlights that's just more of a glow plugged into that outlet. So I can visually see it's on. In my case the GFCI caught me out too many times, so now I have quick visual verification.

the4grows

Jun 19, 2019
Dallas Texas
Hi thanks!
I only have the camper plugged into my garage right now. It’s not popped up.

When at a campsite on 30/50 amp there is a light on in the fridge but it doesn’t cool and no outlets work in the kitchen area.

But plugged in to the garage, I tried plugging a clock into the outlet the fridge is plugged into by opening the access panel. The clock did not work. So not sure if this is because my 110 won’t power that outlet or because it’s just not working. I can’t see if the fridge light is on right now with it down. Can certainly check that at a later time when we can pull it out.

the4grows

Jun 19, 2019
Dallas Texas
There could/should be a GFCI outlet on the trailer that is powering the other outlets. It may also be doing the outlet for the fridge. Mine is on the outside, curbside, rear. Take a look for it, and with the trailer plugged into 120v, push the test and reset buttons on it. See if that helps. The light inside the fridge is probably 12v so it will work when on battery power.
I wanted to come back and say how this resolved. We had to replace our GFCI outlet and it all worked again!