2006 Palomino Pony - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Appaholic, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Appaholic

Appaholic New Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey Folks - I went and looked at my first camper today. It's a 2006 Palomino Pony by Forest River. It has large knobby tires with higher clearance. Every seam was caulked. It also has a strange tray behind the hitch. I believe it was electric lift. Overall, it looked decent to me, but it's my first one. My biggest concern / question was with underside of flooring - it was exposed particle board. Is this normal? What about road spray? Forgive my ignorance...

Price is $2900. Thoughts / comments?

20200307_121431.jpg 20200307_121812.jpg 20200307_121444.jpg 20200307_121536.jpg 20200307_121611.jpg

2. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Yup, that's normal. As long as it can dry out, it's fine, or so I understand.

What causes problems is when the roof leaks, allowing water to soak in from above. If the floor is solid, and you can press toes into corners (don't forget inside the cabinets) to check that.

This is my rule: if the roof is watertight, the floor is solid, and the canvas doesn't have mold or holes, everything else is maintenance, cleanup, and minor repairs. But knobby tires? As in off-road? If that's what you plan to do, it sounds like a winner. If you're planning to go to campgrounds with hookups, you might want to factor in the cost of road tires because off-road tires are noisy on pavement. I'm not sure they would induce sway, but someone else here could speak to that. You could also check the Boondocking sub-forum and see if there's anything about that.

Appaholic likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I believe that in 2006 Palomino was still an independent company, not yet owned by forest river.. at it wasn't in 2004 when our former Palomino was built.. I found that when the Palomino line was independent and even owned by FR, but operated as an independent line the build quality was vastly superior to what gets turned out today...

Yes underside of the floor is left bare, the wood is treated during manufacture to be water resistant..

Appaholic likes this.
  4. Appaholic

Thank you for the education. I did not see soft spots or anything concerning with the floor under cabinets/ in corners.

What do you think of the price? $2900.

5. ntgtech

ntgtech New Member

Hi, I was just curious if you ever purchased the Pony P296 Off-Road above in this thread? We just brought home the exact same model that was originally purchased from Cheek and Shockley in Richmond, VA back in 2005. It looks like the one above in pics has the exact same dealership sticker under the amber porch light. Very hard to find any information about the P296 Off Road model and then I found what appears to be a twin. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

6. Appaholic

No we didn't....too "high" for my wife due to her knee replacement. I really liked it, but knew this would be a problem long term. We found a great deal on an A-Frame which is a breeze to set up compared to tent campers.....but also lacks some of the "outdoors camping" feel of a tent camper unfortunately. Best of luck with your purchase!