2006 Starcraft 2407 exterior painting

BBurch220

Feb 12, 2018
Philadlephia PA
I know this has probably been answered at some point before but I’m having trouble finding my answers.... I want to paint the exterior of the 2006 2407 and tbh, I’m not sure what the exterior material is exactly. It’s that plastic textured feel on the sides. The roof almost feels like vinyl. What ever it is, I know to degrees and scuff it up but what would be the best paint type to use? I’ve seen different answers on this, too. I want to roll the paint not spray rattle can it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Alison McGinnis

Jul 31, 2018
I have been doing a lot of research and am starting my exterior makeover tomorrow. Starting with sanding/bondo a few areas. Then I was going to head to Walmart for the rustoleum high gloss and a 4” roller. Did you do yours already? Any tips? I also have to rid the rust on the tow trailer part and paint that which sounds harder than the body- I may have to spray that.

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
There are some great you tube videos about painting cars with a roller. It should be much the same process. There are some awesome results obtainable for a small cost. I think it's a great idea. Any color in mind? Rustoleum is the paint they use for autos.

Alison McGinnis

Jul 31, 2018
I bought all of the stuff today except the paint - I was looking at videos of using a quart of rustoleum auto in white and I. cant find it anywhere unless its a spray.

emoney

Super Active Member
Jul 7, 2018
Search on YouTube for “roll and tip boat painting”. Those guys have been rolling shiny coats on for years

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
I bought all of the stuff today except the paint - I was looking at videos of using a quart of rustoleum auto in white and I. cant find it anywhere unless its a spray.

It's not automobile paint you're looking for. It's just regular rustoleum you could use to paint anything metal. Should be able to purchase at Home Depot type store.

BBurch220

Feb 12, 2018
Philadlephia PA
I have not started this yet myself. I'm a little confused still bc my popup is not metal (aluminum). I think its fiberglass and when I talked to the guy at the paint store he wasnt sure himself what to use.

GrueMaster

May 22, 2013
Saint Helens, Oregon
Can you give more details on your pup? Manufacturer/make/model would help. Maybe someone else can verify the materials. I doubt the sides are not aluminum (most are). Front/back may be ABS (that's what Coleman/Fleetwood used for their last few years).

BBurch220

Feb 12, 2018
Philadlephia PA
Can you give more details on your pup? Manufacturer/make/model would help. Maybe someone else can verify the materials. I doubt the sides are not aluminum (most are). Front/back may be ABS (that's what Coleman/Fleetwood used for their last few years).

It’s a 2006 Starcraft 2407. Feels like textured plastic of some sort over the plywood. I just read somewhere it may be rfp (reinforced fiberglass panel) similar to what they use in restaurant kitchen walls.

BBurch220

Feb 12, 2018
Philadlephia PA
Update
I'm finally getting ready to take this on one section at a time. Found out that the side panels are in fact textured aluminum as told by the knowledgeable people here. The roof is thin fiberglass sheeting (not getting into that yet). I lightly sanded one side of the camper to get decal residue off and scuff it up for good paint contact. I'm going with the rustoleum spray can. Going to gray primer it first then use the spray paint and primer in one with satin finish for the top coat. They sell a can attachment which makes the spray can more to have more of an actual auto sprayer feel and give you more control. Hope to complete one test panel this weekend. I'll update to let yas know how it goes. Lots of prep to protect from overspray...

BBurch220

Feb 12, 2018
Philadlephia PA
I have the same camper. :) What color are you painting it? I look forward to seeing the 'after' pictures.
I'm going with an off white called rustoleum heirloom white satin finish. Not sure about the roof yet but probably do the white roof coating there. I did the side with the door this past weekend. Hope to complete the rest by next weekend.

BBurch220

Feb 12, 2018
Philadlephia PA
Last minute game change!!! I tired one side with rustoleum spray and I was not at all happy with the results. Spray looked blotchy esp when the sun hit it, not a professional finish. I ended up using a 3/8 nap roller with a white behr alkyd exterior paint for the aluminum sides and a roof coating white paint for the fiberglass top. The results were really nice. Only time will tell how it stands up to the elements. I'm in the final stages of caulking all the seems I stripped now. It looks a 1000s times better overall. Happy with my project

Latest posts