2007 Cheyenne has a new bumper

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by STLCarey, May 29, 2020.

1. STLCarey

STLCarey New Member

For the last several days I have working on a new bumper for the popup. Started with trying to straighten the old one. Ended up making it worse. So I researched new ones, and most are made to hold sewer hoses and are made super thin. Needless to say expensive. My local metal supplier sold me a 4 x 4 square tubing for @$40. Had to notch around the two frame beams, so the back of the bumper does not stick out any further than the old one. (For the bed supports). Once I had everything fitting right, I was off to the welder. Also had the put on a hitch point for a bike rack which is welded to the bumper and the frame. Send more soon. 20200528_154221.jpg 20200528_154226.jpg

firepit likes this.
  2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Looks good and you capped the ends and ground them down smooth...some self etching primer and paint and it will like factory but stronger.

3. RACrappieman

RACrappieman New Member

I did the exact same thing. It had a substantial negative effect on tongue weight to the point of being dangerous to drive. The bikes cantilevered behind the bumper caused the problem. I overcame this by bolting weights together (The ones weightlifters use on bars) and fastened them under the tongue of my trailer. This worked well, and we made an Indiana to Florida trip with no problems. I had to add about 100 pounds to mine to balance the tongue weight back out.

4. STLCarey

STLCarey New Member

Thank you for the advice. Been thinking of that a lot. I do have a storage compartment on the front that I probably over load every time anyway. Was thinking of storing all my cast iron cookware up front instead of in the truck and leaving some water in the tank that also is in front area.

5. STLCarey

STLCarey New Member

So back from my first trip with the new bumper. With chairs and everything I put inside the camper in front of the wheels. Firewood in the storage and water in the tank. It drove just like before. I only have two bikes so now much weight is in the back. I thought about the weight, sway and safety the whole time I was doing this project. I have no issues with doing it. Just be smart.

Sjm9911 likes this.