2007 Fleetwood Arcadia Roof ceiling issues rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Kbooth, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

I used loctite power grab to glue the panels onto the insulation. We didn’t use luan, but a plastic sort of wall panel. NRP panels from Lowe’s. The first panel went right on and hubs and I only had to hold in place for about 3 minutes and it was fine. A few months later the 2nd panel we tried kept falling down so we are going to cut it in half to reduce the weight of it and try again this week.

Attached Files:

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread about roof repair the only way to really do a restoration really well is to remove the roof entirely from the trailer and take it inside a garage or workshop where you can flip it upside down to work on the ceiling side. This would also immensely improve the chances of getting a good bond because you'd then have gravity working for you, along with the ability to add weights to tightly compress the layers together. Fortunately I've not had to do this particular restoration but with decades of DIY projects around the house and with the various trailers we've owned I'd be inclined to use carpenter's glue, applying it with a notched trowel.

3. kevinpf

kevinpf Member

Bought the Luan 4x8 panels at Home Depot for $11.50 each worked like a charm

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

Can you post a link to your NRP panel? Searching Lowe’s finds nothing for NRP. Home Depot only shows FRP only .090 thick. I recall seeing similar looking plastic panels at Home Depot, but they seemed brittle. At that time I was mistakenly thinking I would ‘screw’ panels into the Luan and (I found ‘non-existent’) wood cross braces. LOL.

GreyFox, since the ‘Azdelonboard’ you suggested on my thread is only available to RV manufactures (per their email reply), what do you think of an 1/8” thick plastic sheet if I can find it. Or the thin .090 FRP Wall board. The nice looking BUT HEAVY white hard board I bought, I will likely return. I need to take my scale to Home Depot to check actual weight of the panel options. I was not successful in discerning how much the different panels weighed by holding them up. Kind of awkward. I don’t expect water intrusion again, but agree that a non-wood panel provides more piece of mind and I’d like to avoid adding extra weight to possibly add extra strain to my 10’ box ‘99 Starcraft’s Shelby lift system.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Interesting ... a quick Google search came up with this supplier which suggests they'd sell as few as 1 panel. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.mirageinc.com/superlite-rv-wall-panels-composite-white-44mm

Regardless of what you do eventually end up using the job has to be a lot easier with the roof removed from the camper. JMO. :)

Spridle likes this.
  6. davekro

davekro Active Member

Looking at the a mirage link (thank you), the cost/ panel to ship to Calif. they estimate to be $870 for three panels, or $270 per 4x8 panel. (54.50 ea +10 tax + 364 oversized shipping cost). The value of Azdel to me is not $800 more than a Luan or plastic solution costing $50-$75 that 8 can pick up at my local Home Depot. I’ll go to Home Depot in the next day or so to weigh and reconsider the the Luan, FRP and other 4x8 panel options. My 10’ box needs 2.5 panels, so three.

What do you think of an 1/8” thick plastic sheet if I can find it. Or the thin .090 FRP Wall board.?

If I decide to replace the full canvas (vs. just sewing in new vinyl bunk roof panels, then I will consider removing the roof, since the significant labor of removing/ replacing the canvas would already need to be done. If I do ‘not’ remove the roof, I’ll glue and install one panel, lower roof onto an even pillows and pads that can apply (hopefully) even pressure to the curved ceiling surface for that one panel area, leave in place (maybe w/ some additional weight added on top of the roof for extra pressure. Hmmmn, maybe I’d ‘start’ with the two 12” x 84” pieces at each end to verify this process adheres the panel and glue smoothly to the ceiling.

In my mind, the time and effort involved in removing the roof, most especially if the canvas is also removed, is significantly more work, time and finding 3-4 extra strong bodies (and backs!), than creating a surface to lower the roof on to to apply even pressure. That is just my thinking. I realize opinions on this vary. :wink:

7. Joey Montgomery

Joey Montgomery New Member

Hey Booth,
    How did you re-attach the foam to the filon skin? Mine is separating and I'm insure of a solution. Great job on the roof and ceiling btw.

8. Kbooth

Kbooth New Member

yea, I have filon bubbles now on the roof. I'm really not sure what the next step to fix that will be. it might be a just leave it alone, enjoy it, and wait till we upgrade thing.