2007 Fleetwood Evolution E2 Filon Roof Rebuild

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by jeremyindenver, Jun 9, 2019.

1. JasondenverE2

JasondenverE2 New Member

If I missed it let me know, but do you plan on covering the filon on the top with anything like Kevlar/carbon fiber and resin or something lightweight to prevent future awful work like this? I gotta do it to my new old E2 and a friend suggested either that or a thin gauge aluminum material.

2. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

I using Grizzly Grip. It has a good reputation in the pop up community. I did consider just fiberglassing over the whole top to shore things up but i was unsure if the weight would be too much.

3. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

4. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

5. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

AMC likes this.
  6. RockDocktor

RockDocktor New Member

Jeremy, I'm doing a similar rebuild on a 2007 E2 although my roof was in much worse condition. I've had to rebuild the roof side and end panels due to wood rot as well as replace the 1" thick plywood strips that the aluminum rails attach to. Can you share a little more detail on what you learned using the 3M 30NF? Did you roll on or spray the 30NF ? Was it necessary hold pressure for the bond to form? Any other tips you can share will be appreciated.

7. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

I rolled on the 30nf with a heavy texture paint roller. Once the two parts stick I rolled over then with a laminate roller. They are then stuck for life. I just drove 1200 miles with my camper and the top is still bonded tight as a tick. I’m amping this week and then starting to edit footage for a YouTube series in the rebuild.

Btw, my son and I did Some 30nf test situations with some scraps before tackling the real thing. I ended up doing the front and end panels as well as the top. Felt lucky to avoid the side rails, but it isn’t impossible. Now that I’m camping on my favorite lake listening to the lions call (as I write this) it seems worth it

AMC likes this.
  8. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

We live out of our camper for month of July each year so there has been a flurry of activity to get ready for our trip. Let me get us caught up on the process

Put in the metal strips with flashing from Home Depot. I should’ve used thicker metal but honestly I won’t be hanging the door from the roof. Once you see what the roof is made of, hangin lg any thing from it seems unnecessary.

First piece of 1/8” (nominal) plywood in. This is a real pucker moment. Couldn’t have done it without my amazing wife. Used pex tubes as spacers, prob shouldve just paid for wooden dowels. The pex doesn’t slide across the contact adhesive all that well.

I used a laminate roller to keep from getting bubbles, but decided to dance on the edges with my body weight just to make sure every edge was bonded. My wife was laughing pretty well.
    Friends are amazing. I was so grateful for this crew plus my son.
    In order to get the Grizzly Grip on 24 hours before we left town I had to apply coats at 3:30 a.m. and then 7:00 a.m. I also put a coat of fiberglass resin down where the edge rails will be to ensure that is waterproof and is a secure place to glue the rails down.

Drove from Littleton, CO to the Wisconsin Northwoods. Sitting on the dock of the lake as I write this. Still have to mount the aluminum edge rails, wire lights, and mosquito proof the corners of the hard top where the canvas top turns the corners.

AMC likes this.
  9. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

Check out how I put 3” strips of plywood at the edge of each front and back panel instead of just foam. I also laminated on galvanized metal plates for extra holding power. All done with 30nf.

Gives me a super strong corner that won’t pull apart (hopefully) and break my new corner trim strips.

AMC and Joey Montgomery like this.
  10. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Wow, good job! Welcome to Wisconsin and while you're here, enjoy the beer. New Glaurus is available only in Wisconsin, and Leinies of course. [CB]

11. jeremyindenver

jeremyindenver Member

Thanks! I grew up here and spend a month here every summer

hayyward likes this.
  12. Nick Verkerk

Nick Verkerk New Member

Any update on the video series?

AMC likes this.
  13. justin-branam

justin-branam New Member

@jeremyindenver Excellent write up! I am about to tackle my 2007 E3. I may have to repair my side rails as well, so can you tell me if they are the same foam/plywood layering as the rest of the roof, or is it strictly thicker plywood for structural stability? Also, what is the material that connects the exterior filon side rails to the filon roof section (the part under the metal rails)? Looks like some sort of tape or something. It looks like you replaced this on yours, so did you put it on after painting, or did you put it on then paint over the whole roof?

Thanks again for the awesome write up. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable with what I am about to get myself into, haha!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    AMC likes this.
  14. WardE2

WardE2 New Member

Any new progress or YouTube videos? I am near you in Colorado and need to do some version of roof repair.

AMC likes this.
  15. justin-branam

justin-branam New Member

I found this set of 3 videos very informative. Nothing fancy, but they are probably the best and most informative one's I have found. The guy is down to earth, and fairly good about explaining what he is doing.

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZI9yRvabM

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScwP4cAwxbA

Video 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2EvPYAU3Q&t=

AMC and Joey Montgomery like this.
  16. AMC

AMC Member

Where can I find the video! That would be amazing.

17. cscottbasalt

cscottbasalt New Member

Jeremy, I have a 2007 E2 that needs the same treatment, are you taking clients? What would you charge, I am up in the mountains close buy I could bring it down. Thanks

AMC likes this.
  18. Tyler Vaughan

Tyler Vaughan New Member

What color Grizzly Grip did you use?

19. Tyler Vaughan

Tyler Vaughan New Member

I have this same issue. Any update on yours?

AMC likes this.
  20. AMC

AMC Member

Did you ever do the videos???