2007 Fleetwood: Removed filon roof.. now what?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Markciu, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Markciu

Markciu New Member

[​IMG] Hi- first timer here and new to pop-up life. I was given a 2007 Fleetwood Bayside, and found out the Filon roof was "floating" above the foam on the front half, had hundreds of tiny cracks, plus several big cracks that had been sealed up with Eternabond and Silicon. Needless to say it leaks like a sieve.
    Long story short, I ended up peeling all of the loose Filon off of the foam, and am planning on painting the foam and remaining Filon with Grizzly Grip. Will this work?
    I've found plenty of ABS removal, paint-the-foam stories, but no Filon removal, paint-the-foam stories. The foam is pretty flimsy, and I'm hoping the Grizzly Grip will make it strong again plus seal it up. Is this the same type of foam found under ABS roofs?
    Thoughts? Thanks!
    PS- Right-click "IMG" at the beginning and select "open in new tab" to see pictures. Not sure I posted these the best way.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Pozi

Pozi Member

You've got a project on your hands but totally worth it since it was FREE!

Grizzly Grip over the foam doesn't seem like a good option IMO. #1 the GG may 'eat-away' the foam board and it appears the foam is saturated with water. There is also a really good chance your side boards on the roof are also saturated. Before you make any repairs I'd do some investigating.

I rebuilt the entire roof on my Palamino PUP and used the TPO Alpha systems roofing material in place of the existing Filon. Best part on my installation: no seams for water intrusion as I wrapped the material around the entire roof.

3. Markciu

Markciu New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I would have thought the same about GG eating foam, but they actually say on their website that it can be painted directly on camper roof foam. I'm curious how much strength it adds to the roof. I would think at least a little.
    Do you have any pictures of your finished Palamino? Sounds like a good build.

4. Pozi

Pozi Member

There are photos on this site with my roof completed. Albeit not very good pics. You can scroll through my posts in my profile section.

5. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I am unable to see the OP pic. Not sure if it's on my browser or the post itself.