2007 Fleetwood Slotted Bed Support

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Jorja, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

When we set up during our last trip, our back bunk bed - the right bed pole back saving slotted support wouldnt "click in".

The left side did, but not the right.

We've brought it home and set it up again. Still the slotted support will not click in place.

We didn't use the bed end when we were camping - and haven't put any weight on it since this happened.

Do we need to replace the whole bed support pole?

We shouldn't use the bed until both bed poles click in place with the slotted brackets, right?

We have the king size Niagara beds.

Not sure why the one side won't "click" in place and not sure if we can fix the part or need to replace it?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Perhaps a picture of what you are looking at for those who are not familiar with Fleetwoods. A picture of the support in working order as a reference would probably help as well. Could it be the metal rod got bent? I had that happen to me once and had to bend it back. The mechanism is not all that complicated but know that something slides in place to prevent the pole from sliding. Sadly my camper is in storage so can't study it to see what it does to lock. Good luck hope you don't need it, but colemanpopupparts.com may have the part you are looking for.

Jorja likes this.
  3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

It's likely one of two problems:
    1. The 'track' where the pole slides has warped/bent enough the flipper can't engage the end of the pole. This can be fixed with a little patience and straightening the runner with a hammer and block of wood to realign the edges. The backsaver bracket can deform when twisted and that may not allow the pole to slide as far as needed to engage.
    2. But probably the bunk simply did not slide out far enough on one side, came out a little crooked. When I can't get one side of the king bunk on my Bayside to latch I just have to give a little more effort to pulling out that corner.
    Unless the bracket is really messed up/broken you should not need to replace it.

Good luck! I think #2 is the answer. It's an exercise I have to perform on my Bayside every so often. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Jorja likes this.
  4. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

For pictures:

Here's the left side "back saving" bracket clicked in. The second picture is the right side bracket not fully extended so it's clicked in.

Poles are inserted into spots on the bumper that they are supposed to be (we always do that).

Attached Files:

5. friartuck

That looks like the bunk isn't pulled all the way out on that side. Check for something obstructing the bed rail then give it a push from the inside or a tug if your outside.

6. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Looking at the pictures I just took - I can see a bow in the metal of the one not clicked in.

I think we might try to hammer the metal gently? without removing the bracket to try to get it more even.

We really just don't remember anything obvious in our regular routine that would have cause that twisting of the metal.

7. friartuck

Yes you can re-form the bracket by GENTLY using a hammer. I've had to use a hammer and pliers to straighten the bracket on my front bunk curbside bracket. Take your time. Really. It's awfully easy to bend the bracket into a pretzel if you're not careful. :)
    Good luck! You CAN do it.