2007 Jayco Select 12HW

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by PaThacker, Mar 18, 2020.

1. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I purchased a 2007 Jayco Select 12HW with broken lift cable for $750 at auction. 3 posts went up. No mold apparent and structural integrity ok. Actual bid $350 won it with clean tile $750 out the door. Has Ac, slideout, no mold in front trunk and cassette shower pottie. Lift cable broken on driver side rear. I opened side door and saw no mold on the wood or floor. Gambled $750 on a $5500 pup lol.

This will be my 3rd 12 foot with slide out pup. My 2007 Jayco 1206 was destroyed on 7/13/19 when a 17 year old driver ran stop sign and t boned my pup.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    FARfetched likes this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new pup!! Looking forward to pictures!

PaThacker likes this.
  3. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

I wish we had things like that over here

PaThacker likes this.
  4. PaThacker

First thing I gotta figure out how to get a 12 foot roof up with AC on it. Either wedge a 2x4 and push up inside with someone cranking the 3 up and 3rd person to put a pipe outside of broken post.

5. PaThacker

These are toy auctions that are held all over the country by Manheim auctions. They rated it 1.0 out of 4.0 scale. Based solely on lift not working. No idea if ac, fridge, tents, or water heater plumbing ok or not. That’s the low ball bid you gamble on

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. This will usually require an extra person. One to shove a 2x4 and another cranks. At least with my old Jayco the crank still worked for the other three sides perfectly so it really wasn't that heavy for the person to handle the 2x4 going with the roof raising. He/she will only have a 1/4 of the weight as the three other lift posts will take the rest. Grant you my Jayco had a 10' roof and I knew the other three sides was working no problem as my cable broke upon raising and I was able to continue to raise it with the one side hanging and grabbed a tree branch to hold the side up so I could camp. Sadly I gave that Jayco away as I had no work space to fix it.

7. PaThacker

I reviewed some videos of old ones. No high wall. Hopefully I don’t have demo entire kitchen to get to crank or remove fridge on other side

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That’s one of the biggest problems is the lift is well hidden and a pain to access. Anyway, I read something where someone attached the new cable to the old one and essentially fed the new one on by pulling on the old. If you can do that, it would limit how much you need to tear out. Good luck.

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Crank it up and have someone manually lift the bad corner while you crank it up. Then fix it in place with a 2 x 4 brace. Then you can get to work on the cable. If it is the rear drivers side cable as you note, that is one of the easiest ones to fix as all the access is along the back wall and is quite easy to access once you have it up. If you are lucky, it will just be the eyebolt that is broken and nothing wrong with the cable, but again, the entirety of the cable for that post sits along the back wall, so it won't be too bad. That would be a sweet deal if all of the other systems work for you.

10. PaThacker

I picked the pup up from auction on this past Friday. Had no keys. Ratchet shut front trunk for transport. Has new load c tires. Needs load d. Jayco storage trunk keys and some caulking to repair.

11. firepit

firepit Active Member

Manheim auctions have a condition report scale from 1.0 to 5...5 being the best...having lots of experience in manheim auctions i can tell you take condition reports with a grain of salt...The condition reports can vary depending on the person writing it..Some writers are sticklers and some are less critical...almost all power sports and rv's are as is...meaning post sale inspections are not available.
    Post sale inspections are a service offered by manheim where u pay a fee after your purchase and have a mechanical inspention to cover yourself...If it fails post sale inspection you can back out of purchase or work a deal with seller if u wish to keep it you can still buy it at a lower price to cover repairs.
    With all that being said manheim rv's are a great way to get a great deal on a camper.
    However it is always best to walk the lot before the auction and eye ball things...however most manheim auctions only allow access to dealers only and you obviously have to bid simulcast/online if the auction is not near you to see it in person...So at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the person writing the condition report...So if you buy one as is and you are the highest bidder or the seller offers a buy now price ...You are stuck with it unless it has damages that were not listed on the condition report...such as dings dents etc...in that case you can arbitrate your purchase within 10 days of your purchase and get a buy back from auction or money back from seller if u still wish to keep it...you can only arbitrate if damages total $500 or more per manheims guidelines...I know none of this helps on your purchase but going forward it may help you or others... Sounds like u got a good deal either way...good luck with the new rig...congrats

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Storage trunk keys are readily available from jayco dealer and there are only a couple of door keys, so you should be able to get them too. For sure D tires would be desired.

13. PaThacker

I got the trunk key and ch 751 for the side of trunk. Going to mess with the pup on Wednesday.

14. PaThacker

Yeah we are a dealer in PA. This pup just a toy for small sites. We got a 31 ft Itasca class C, lance 2375 tt and gator 1860 cc that day as well

15. PaThacker

Big repairs needed. Pulley ripped off tube repair

16. PaThacker

2B70CD52-8775-4751-A2B0-92DF85FBA413.jpeg

17. firepit

firepit Active Member

Whoever welded that pulley bracket needs to take off their helmet.... Walk away and turn in their
    certificate to who ever qualified them to use a welder.

18. PaThacker

Yeah everything else is ok. Plugged it in converter worked, mold on dinette roof from ac unit condensation. Might rip it out and put fantastic fan in place. Beds ok, heater worked. Wgas $750 score.

19. PaThacker

82919926-84D2-4E39-BA14-2784FEFE3115.jpeg I took the fridge out. Cut the side of fridge cabinet to get to the pulley tray. Got it out today and gave to welder. Got to look on inter webs to see if ones available to replace.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM