2007 Niagra Axle Flip

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Yellowkayak, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

For those who missed my post on an another section on the forum I posted it here too.

OK Folks got it done today. All I can say if anyone needs ground clearance, an axle flip is the way to go....WOW. The guy who did it for me said "Now you have a 4X4 camper." I agree. No more hitting the curb with the underside...no more worries about hitting anything low especially my stabalizers and plumbing. Hope these pictures turn out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys did a great job. The new bracket is welded to the axle and the "U" bolts in place. Before we only had 6 inches from the bottom of out sewer outlet to the ground....I now have 12 inches.....before the stabilizers only had 10 inches, I now have 16 inches. So I actually gained six inches of clearance. Before I had to TILT the tires into the wheel well to get them on and off (hed a blowout on our last trip), now I don't have to do that anymore. Worth every penny of $175.00 for the labor and $54.00 for the kit from E-trailer. Things the lift created:

POSITIVES:

More clearance
    Less stress on me preventing me on thinking I'm going to rip the bottom of the trailer out.
    Better protection of underside from road debris
    Plumbing won't hit curb any more when I back out
    Cargo platform on back of pup won't scrap the drive when backing in and out
    I can actually us my front tongue wheel now (before I could not use it because tyhe wheel was to tall for my hitch. When I lowered teh trailer totally onto the ball it would not go down because the wheel was to tall. Now the trailer is taller and the wheel fits perfectly.
    I can crawl underneath to work on the trailer for other mods easier (6 - 10 inches wasn't much)

Negatives:

Need to build ONE step (no problem I have plenty of lumber)
    Stabilizers are close to maxed out extension but still lifts the pup about 3 inches. We have the orange "lego blocks" though just for that purpose.
    I had to have my sway hitch ball mount flipped over and the sway ball (tiny ball) cut off and welded back on the other side (NO CHARGE FOR THAT). I also have a front receiver hitch on the front of my Chevy crew cab making it much easier to "push/pull" the camper around the yard and driveway easier. Original ball hitch was to short, so they welded a longer piece on, 4 inches, so the ball isn't so close to my front license plate. FREE ALSO!

The pup actually sits more level now than it did before. This project is worth doing for those interested....but make sure you go to a GOOD person to do the job. The place that I went to (Longhorn truck and trailer in Wichita Falls, Texas) has a reputation of doing good jobs and they have never let me down yet. All-in-all I am very happy with the work they did. They did have to add 4 inches of extra wiring for the brakes, which work great still.

I hope this post has help someone!

JJ

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Nice work! I haven't seen a newer Fleetwood, or most large pups for that matter, with an axle flip. Looks great!

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Nice work, JJ!

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

JJ,

That looks really great.

Looks like a Niagara on Viagara [;)].

I'd like to do that on my avalon, but have 2 axles to deal with....

For the step, you could always take out the single and put in a double step to avoid having to carry a box around..

Nice job.

Lou

5. Yellowkayak

Lou I thought about the double steps but not at the prices they want. With the wife's and my back, hips, and knees I may just get a folding ramp instead. Thanks all for the cudos....it was a job I wanted done last year. Now that its done, I can actually get up under the pup and do more mods....easier.

JJ

6. puestads

puestads New Member

I also have a 2007 Niagrara. Saw the pictures and made an appt the next day. Will be done next week for $280 by the dealer I bought the trailer from. Let you know how it goes

Thanks

7. my3kids

my3kids New Member

Flip looks awesome. I want to do the same thing, maybe in the off season ...

So here's a dumb question ... Why aren't axle flips standard? Surely it couldn't cost that much more to build it this way from the factory.

Like the Niagara and Avalon, my Saratoga and many others I'm always afraid of clipping or scraping the water tanks. It freaks me out going to a campsite that's not too even that I have a decent chance of doing exactly that as I'm backing the thing up. A standard flipped axle would be so much easier on my nerves.

Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada

8. Yellowkayak

Ray the only reason I can see is that the manufacturers want the pups to be as air resistant as possible. so the lower it sits the less wind resistant it is. But I totally agree they should raise them up at a minimum of 4 inches. I've got a crew cab pickup that I tow mine with and I can see the wind would still go over the cab and over the pup without to much wind drag. All i know is the trailer after the axle flip pulls very well and i don't feel anymore wind drag than I did before...as a matter of fact it actually feels smoother...just a bit.

JJ

9. leerunlong@gmail.com

leerunlong@gmail.com New Member

This posting convinced me that flipping my axle was the best thing to do on my 2008 Niagara. I had the exact same situation where we had to build a ramp to get the PUP in and out of our driveway. It was too low for this reason and many others including tire only had a couple of inches clearance in the wheel well and the black/grey water drain was too low to drain on some camp sites.

I took it to a trailer repair place in Garner, NC and they did a great job and it cost only $180 bucks. They also changed the balls on my insert. I went from a 5 1/4" drop to a short drop flipped up. It is very slightly high now but loaded it will be fine.

Thanks for the postings! This was great and I can't wait to use it!

10. Rena

Rena New Member

JJ,
    We have the same PUP. After seeing your post we are convinced this is what we need to do. Thanks so much!
    Just have to measure height, we need to store in our garage and hope with the AC and the added height it will still fit.

Rena
    2007 Fleetwood Niagara

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Here's how I handled the "stablilizers aren't quite long enough to reach the ground" issue. My over/under axle conversion added about 6.5" of height so I needed something. especially if there was a slope to the camp site. I could see as much as 12" or more that the stock stabilizers had to overcome.

Simple, cheap and extremely effective. I got some 12"x2" lumber that I had lying around although a short section from a lumber store won't cost you much. I cut notches in each so they fit together to form an X. Since a picture is worth more than I can say, here are some of those.

Just make eight of these:
    [​IMG]

And turn them into these stands:
    [​IMG]

You'll notice I cut away about half of an inch from the edges. I found uneven surfaces such as wavy asphalt or other surfaces can cause the Xs to wobble. That cut-away eliminates the wobble on the bottom and acts as a positive locking catch for the sand pads of the stabilizer when they come down onto the stands.

To carry them down the road, I didn't want to put them inside the PUP so I added some wire grate between the rear bumper and the frame of the PUP.

Modular wire shelving attached between rear bumper and frame cross-member:
    [​IMG]

Stored, held in place with bungees:
    [​IMG]

For getting into and out of the PUP, I did get a foldable aluminum painting platform from Harbor Freight, cut the legs down with my miter saw and place it under the regular fold-out step. Depending on the slope of the site, sometimes we don't need it but most of the time, we do. I don't have any pictures of that handy.

The last thing I did to overcome the effects of the over/under axle conversion was to add a BAL 6" foot pad for the tongue jack.

12. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Had my new 2008 Niagara axle mounted under the springs before I took it out of the dealership. I knew I would more than likely damage the plumbing on some of the roads I travel. [8D] [PUC] [PUT]