2007 Sun Valley ceiling delamination

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Mike Koz, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mike Koz

Mike Koz New Member

Greetings,

First time poster. I have an '07 Sun Valley with an alumitite roof and one piece aluminium side rails with integrated rack gutter. While cleaning the pup at the end of the season I noticed a couple of bulges and some wrinkling in the vinyl ceiling. The delamination is relatively minor at this point, barely noticable really, but soft in those areas. I guessing this points to a small leak somewhere. The roof had a small puncture when I bought it, which I sealed with Sikaflex and it has held up very well since. Pup is parked outside over the winter. Initially I thought my leak is going to be at the side rails, but found a post that stated this roof type rarely leaked there. I also find it odd that the delamination is in the middle of the ceiling and towards the back. If the leak was at either rail I would think it would affect the sides first. Anybody else experience this?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Attached Files:

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The thing about a water leak is that the leak could be at the opposite end and the water is running to a low point. What about around where the racks are mounted? Since the pup will be parked outside this winter, I would think about covering it to prevent any more damage

Orchid likes this.
  3. Mike Koz

Mike Koz New Member

I'm letting it vent for the next few days. Once it's closed, I will be taking a closer look at the roof and rails. Due to the internal metal ribs, this doesn't appear to have been a low point in the ceiling till the delamination started. For the winter I plan to place a baffle on the racks and tarp it, but I would feel much better if I found the source of the leak first. More to come...

4. Mike Koz

Mike Koz New Member

I did some more digging on forums. Although My roof has an alumitite sticker on the inside, it actually appears to be a filon roof. Its a single sheet of fiberglass with aluminium sides with integrated rack rails. These roofs are supposed to be seamless and much less prone to leaks. Today I closed the trailer and examined the top. I found one tiny new puncture (3 x 4 mm) toward the front of the trailer. I plan to seal it with sikaflex. While I'm at it I will redo my previously fixed puncture (as its been a few years) and seal the sides of the rails.

5. Mike Koz

Mike Koz New Member

Alright, I gave the roof a good scrubbing, resealed my old puncture and the new one with Sikaflex. I also run a bead on the inside of both rails and corner caps. I don't see any evidence of any micro-cracks in the fiberglass. I also waxed the roof and body - PUP looks like new. Comparing to some others on the forum with leaks, mine is minor, so it will take some time to see if the delamination spreads. I still plan to tarp the top over the winter.

Attached Files:

6. Kbooth

Kbooth New Member

I have the same roof and rails. I believe the fiberglass roof has micro fractures, and is allowing the water to seep thru.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Then maybe the fix is grizzly grip? That stuff should seal micro cracks easy!

Orchid likes this.
  8. Mike Koz

Mike Koz New Member

I know you removed your ceiling. Have you tried getting the top wet with the ceiling removed to confirm micro fractures are the source?

9. Kbooth

Kbooth New Member

I have not yet. the Styrofoam is still in place, and that makes it pretty hard to tell exactly where the leaks are coming from. before I put too much effort into rebuilding I do want to isolate where the leak is.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would reseal the whole roof. As long as you can fix the inside. If the seals are failing in one spot, given the age, another spot will pop up. Caulk and re seal the entire thing and have peice of mind it's done.

11. Mike Koz

Mike Koz New Member

IMG_20181026_170834.jpg IMG_20181026_170416.jpg I finally found a canoe that will act as a baffle to help drain the water once tarped. Since the reseal I have not seen any new evidence of a leak. Attaching pics of a test fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  12. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party but that is absolutely not an AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof (lucky you!) but rather a seamless Filon roof. The only seams are at each of the 4 corners, under the corner caps, so these are the only locations where this roof could leak UNLESS the filon itself has been punctured. This may be why FTCA replaced the seamless filon roof with a seamless aluminum skin roof in the last couple of production years before the manufacturing facility in Somerset, PA was closed for good in 2011.

13. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

I have the same pup ('07 Sun Valley) and delam in the same location, but I know where my leak came from as it was a gift from my neighbors roof in the last storm (a shingle sliced a 4.5" hole in the roof). Before I noticed it enough water got below the filon that the ceiling started to delam between the roof supports. Funny thing is the slice is in the back of the pup away from the supports.

The delam isn't bad and I have repaired the hole (marine epoxy at the hole and grizzly grip the whole roof). I have been considering adding some fake faux ceiling tiles made of light weight plastic to cover the area and dress the ol lady up a bit.

Out of sheer paranoia I bought an RV cover this year, first time since we bought her new that she has been covered, and always kept out side.

Good luck with your pup, i love the layout of the Sun Valley, great for kids!

14. Markciu

Markciu New Member

Any updates on the delam and leaks? I have a very similar 2007 Fleetwood Bayside, and it had a few big cracks and also the countless micro-cracks all over the front half, which had also come unglued from the foam. Needless to say it leaks if we even talk about rain. I've pulled off all of the unglued filon, and am trying to figure out what to do next. Just cut open the ceiling yesterday and found that the luan under that is all wet too.

15. Kbooth

Kbooth New Member

the elastrometric paint that I put on from Lowes is keeping the rain out, however, I do have some bubbles now in the filon, so I will have to come up with a solution to "iron" out that problem.