2007 Sun Valley, orig. owner, garaged all but two years, $5,000... y/n?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by davekro, Mar 6, 2020.

1. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Any Sun Valley would be equipped as the originating dealer had ordered it. For the 2007 model year the SV came standard with a 3-way fridge but both a furnace and water heater were optional. In earlier years Grand Tour models (the Sun Valley being one) came with 2 stoves - an inside low pressure stove and an outside high pressure stove. As I've mentioned in other posts Fleetwood made quite a few dumb moves over the years, the AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof being one but another was dropping the outside high pressure stove beginning with the 2005 model year. Consumers, myself being one, screamed like crazy about this and Fleetwood eventually returned to supplying a regulated high pressure feed on the curb side of the trailer along with a stove to match. For sure this applied to 2008 models but I don't recall if the 2007 models were low or high pressure but since Fleetwood was offering buyers the option of an outside stove OR RVQ grill with the 2007 models I suspect that curb side feed was low pressure. Here's how you can tell - if the propane connection on the curb side of the trailer you're looking at is a quick disconnect fitting then it's low pressure, if it's a male 1"-20 threaded fitting (same fitting as on a 16.4 oz propane canister) then it's regulated high pressure (~ 16 p.s.i.) and is intended to be used to power the supplied outside high pressure stove.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. davekro

davekro Active Member Gold Supporting Member

This 2007 SValley had a female quick connect outside on curb side (exactly like both my ‘99 inside and outside quick connects. I had tried to run a single burner stove designed for the green 1lb propane cylinders. It did not work. So are my Starcraft female quick connects ‘low pressure’ and the 1 lb cylinders are ‘high pressure’?

4. davekro

Outcome from our road trip. After I checked it all over, we sat in it to get a sense of how it felt to us. We were both on the fence, hoping the other would Be excited about it. Neither of us were, to our surprise! But being that it was in good shape, we decided to offer $4000, knowing we could resell it if it did not grow on us. The seller said she was firm on her $5000 lower limit and would give it to her brother. We were not disappointed. After 5 minutes on the road, DW, was feeling anxious and asked me how I felt. I thought for a few seconds and realized that I felt relieved. We ‘thought’ we were gung ho for this year and model. After seeing one in person, we realized the plain cabinets on the Americana series and to us the cushion material color felt bland, over all it just did not give us That Lovin’ Feelin’ ... While still very much coveting Fleetwood Sun Valley’s several big pluses (one piece door, bunk poles attached to bunks, hot water and Pump!, bump out for kitchen and more I am forgetting, the feeling of being in it, did not feel as good as our ‘99 Starcraft Stardust 10’ box.

On the drive home, we realized the dedicated dinette was not the plus we thought it would be for us. There is just the two of us and after being in it, we realized the dedicated dinette was used floor space that that was probably wasted for us. Every floor plan an trim level is a very personal taste. Several days prior, my wife found a 2003.5 (Alumilite roof), but in that year, it was in the higher trim level and had beautiful cabinetry! For the look and feel of that! I might have considered repairing/ re-sealing that roof. But it sold the night we saw it on CL. It was priced at $1500 and included about $1000 worth of extras. To get that one, you needed to see it right away and live 5- 15 mins away ‘to go right over’ with the cash. We never had a chance as that one was bought as we were seeing it on CL.

To end a long story, this trip was invaluable. It helped us realize what we loved about our 10’ box pup, needing some TLC & $. Now we know we love it’s floor plan and Highlander trim level cabinetry and interior. I am soooo glad she did not accept our $4000 offer!
    The adventures of pup ownership. We learned a valuable lesson tonight. We actually stopped at a Home Depot and picked out a vinyl flooring to cover our white vinyl floor. Joy, joy!

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dave, there are many ways to spruce up the older pop up. And its allready paid for. Have fun with it!

davekro likes this.
  6. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

This is great. I was definitely feeling like a bit of an idiot for taking an entire day to look at one that turned out to be a disaster, but my wife and I both agreed that physically being in it and see what it was was extremely educational, which led to us buying one very similar, but in a 1000 times better shape. You can look online all day, but being in them is so important to know what you want.

davekro likes this.
  7. davekro

We really ‘got’ that being in a prospective pup was the only way to know in our gut and heart if the floor plan, style/colors,condition etc., made us 1) like enough to want it, period 2) like it enough to either pay the asking price or the max price that #1 + #2 felt in our gut and heart. It’s all head and theory up until then. DW and I were both AMAZED that even after making a very long list of Pros & and only 2-3 Cons on our 1:30 drive there, that we were literally beside ourselves about why were SO reluctant to Love this pup. We had spent so much time obsessing over searching for CList for ‘07 — ‘08 Sun Valley’s because from reviews here and dissecting the brochure, it was ‘The ONE’ ! We are so grateful to see one for the first time in person and one that was in excellent shape. At $5k firm, it was high for us, but if it had the heart and gut feel, we likely would have paid it, so as not to possibly travel ‘much’ farther to check the next one out! We are VERY happy and relieved to clear in our gut, that we love our current pup. Hah, now taking $1155 of the $5000 I was ready to whisk away last night... feels quite the bargain!

As another big bonus, we can still walk around the front and back of our 14’ 6” long ten foot box Starcraft, as opposed to literally having approx. 1” clearance with the 17’ 2” SunValley’s 12’ box (if we did get the 12’ box, I could have gone thru a lot of hassle to relocate a cabinet behind where the pup parks to be able to walk behind it to get to the side door of the garage. But I would have to also sell some coffee equipment (my business) too to gain that extra 18” of walk by space. A hassle I was not eager to do.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  8. GreyFox

Correct - low pressure being 11" WC (water column) or ~ 0.5 p.s.i. Tank pressure can vary from ~ 80 p.s.i. to ~ 200 p.s.i., depending on a number of factors. That "high pressure" feed on the curb side of some Fleetwood trailers is regulated high pressure (~ 16 p.s.i.) and the supplied "high pressure" stove is jetted to run directly on this pressure, therefore has no regulator.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  9. GreyFox

The Sun Valley and it's Destiny series cousin the Tacoma were Fleetwood's most popular non-slide models for families. Two king beds, curb side dinette that looks out on to the campsite, U shaped seating by the front bed that can also be used for dining, lots of floor space, lots of storage space not encumbered during travel by a dinette slide in the stored position, and one of the best features - a fridge that can be accessed with the roof down. [A] Good friends of ours bought a 2004 Tacoma last year and have since removed the dinette entirely, instead use the U shaped sofa if they want to eat inside, otherwise they eat outside sitting around the campfire. For families it's hard to beat but for a couple I would personally choose a 10' model with a front storage trunk like the Fleetwood Cheyenne (Resolute in 2005). Having a front trunk means whatever you store in the trunk can live in the trunk and not need to be removed after each trip and stored elsewhere. Sure, there's less interior floor space but I'd much rather not have to fool with unloading "stuff" after each trip so having a popup with a front trunk to me makes more sense than a 12 footer with no trunk when we're talking about just 2 adults using it. JMO. [:D]

10. davekro

Ah, sow both high and low pressure are regulated, just to different pressures. What pressure, ‘high’ or ‘low’ are Coleman stoves/ lanterns and my Weber gas BBQ grill that all use the green 1 lb Coleman cylinders?

11. GreyFox

Who knows, they're all different, with the regulator on each appliance designed to reduce tank or canister pressure to whatever that particular appliance burner required. In the case of the Wedgewood "high pressure" stove designed for use on some Fleetwood campers that pressure was around 16 p.s.i. Fleetwood accomplished this with dual regulation - tank output fed a (red) single stage regulator that reduced tank pressure to "regulated" high pressure, a T fed one leg to the curb side of the trailer, the other leg fed a second regulator that reduced the pressure to low pressure ~ 0.5 p.s.i. which then fed all the interior appliances as required by code.

12. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

This is pretty dead on for us. I love the layout of our 98 Mesa and considered a Sun Valley or a modern Mesa with the 12' box and 2' storage trunk to be a great option for us. As I climb over this Niagara that we just brought home I can definitely say that it will not be as easy to pack for trips and the lack of access to the fridge while it's closed is going to be a huge downside. Often we could load the camper up for a trip without ever opening it. Those days are gone.

13. davekro

For us as just two people, I agree the 10' box fits our needs better and actually has more floor space than the 12' Sun Valley set up how we use it. In our 10', the dinette is on 'the big bed side' where we sleep. Since we move the dinette table outside to eat, we essentially have the same floor plan as the Sun Valley, w/o the 2' deep bench seat (that would be the back of a "U" couch) so we have walk up access to our bed. W/o the SV's dinette across from the kitchen (which to us is wasted space as we do not need that much seating and the seat backs are lower than our current pup's so not really comfortable for my back anyway). At the rear we have a bench seat all the way across in front of the smaller bed (used to store stuff). In front of that couch/seat is 16" of open floor before a cabinet on the passenger side and the stove /sink on the driver side. We love this plan.

14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

806XLS...the one in my profile picture

15. davekro

Hah! My bad not noticing the profile pic. Nice looking pup!
    Price comparisons for 8’ box and 12’ box pups is appples and oranges though. We do love our 10’ box pup and now truly appreciate it.

firepit and Spridle like this.
  16. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

5K is high. maybe 4300 if mint. Remember you got 200 in rubber. I'd walk if all the bells didn't come with it. And make sure everything works.

17. Kelly C

Kelly C New Member

Nevermind, just realized I was replying to an old thread.

18. bcnewton50

bcnewton50 New Member

Be careful with your purchase. One of the reasons popups are no longer made by Coleman/Fleetwood is because of problems with the roofs. We have a 2003.5 Coleman popup that has an aluminum roof and a bike rail on top. The non-stainless screws that attach the bike rail on the roof interacted with the aluminum and set off an electrolysis/corrosion reaction all over the top of the roof. I had it repaired, but was told the corrosion is like rust---it would probably return---which it has. Now I need to decide what to do. The rest of the popup is in great condition. I am sure you have researched the Sun Valley to see what others have experienced. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  19. bcnewton50

bcnewton50 New Member

Oops. Just realized you did not purchase it. Good!!

20. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

I really have appreciated this entire thread. While I have a pup my friends and I have put a LOT of work into, it is a 1997 Starcraft 8' box. I am always "on the look out". However, I have become very attached to the layout. I will keep all of the things said above as I continue to look.