2008 Clipper Sport 128ST with rot on the front end.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by myrtsbnye, May 29, 2019.

1. myrtsbnye

myrtsbnye New Member

Hello All,

We've owned our Coachmen Clipper for about 8 years now and always noticed the front trim wasn't seated properly. I figured it replaced by a nonpro who didn't do a great job. Instead of doing anything about it I just put it off. Anyway, I finally removed the trim to look at it and found some rot. Most of it is on the front panels. The 2"x2" frame ends are rotted as well as the ends of the top and bottom frames. These are easily accessible and I have no concerns about doing it myself. The side panel frames look solid so that will be left alone.

OK, my main question. The front exterior metal panel seems to be glued to a 1/8" maranti plywood. About 1' of this plywood substructure is rotten and I would like to replace the entire sheet. Will the exterior panel remove from the maranti easy enough and what kind of adhesive should I use to glue the new sheet on?

Also, this maranti on the side panels is rotten back about 6". Is it possible to just replace a portion of it?

Hope this is clear.

Thanks for any help

I tried to add a few pics but there was an error saying the files were too large. I will try later to resize and upload again.

Flipped in NH likes this.
  2. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Well I don’t really like your problem but I have similar issue that I’ve been scared to open and check out so I’m following to see what you get for ideas.

3. jennylou

jennylou New Member

We had a problem in our back corner and just had to yank it apart and rebuild it. My husband is handy and it wasn’t that difficult. These really are built quite simply, which is nice.

My cell pics are too big to upload or I’d post some photos.

4. Dave parker

Dave parker New Member

Taking it apart... was the rot gotten to from the outside? Tips on taking the back end off?

5. Annunzi

Annunzi Member