2008 Fleetwood Bayside - decent price?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MIlover, Sep 3, 2013.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

Hello all,

It seems we *might* have found a dealership that has a pup we want (2007 or later Utah or Bayside), AND is willing to accept our water-damaged Jayco for trade. We don't ask for much [:D] The dealership is a few hours away, so I want to negotiate as much as possible over the phone, contingent on a very thorough, lengthy, final inspection in person.

The pup in question is a 2008 Fleetwood Bayside (I know, many of your prefer the Utah, but we love the storage in a Bayside). This model has a cassette toilet (which we want), and per the salesman, the filon roof, canvas, etc. is in excellent condition, the pup is very clean with no damage or leaks. The only issue is that one of the king-size mattresses is missing and has since been replaced with 4" foam - apparently this was due to some sort of stain from the owner. I can't help but wonder about rodents, though supposedly everything else is great.

The pup is on consignment, which means the dealer must have the sale approved by the seller. They are asking $8,295 - well above the MI NADA of $7,645. Assuming the pup really is in great shape and checks out, I still can't imagine paying more than $7,000 max. Does that seem realistic? Also, is there anything to watch out for on this model year of Bayside? Based on my research, the filon roofs are only a problem if AC was installed, or if something damages them, and even then, they are easier to repair than ABS.

Thanks!

2. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Its a buyers market

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Not sure what year it is, but I just sold our 2007 Williamsburg Private party for $7500. It was on the higher end of pricing as it was in Mint/new condition. If you have priced it out by only adding the optional accessories that it has, I would stick to whatever number you're comfortable with. Did they give you an estimated value on your camper?

If it is exactly what you're looking for, there should be a value put towards being done with the hunt as well, if you're ready for that hunt to end, that is.

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We have an '08 Bayside and love it! Yes, I was looking at the Utah, but DW (before she was DW) wanted the storage space of the Bayside. I'm glad we got the Bayside. Yes the Filon roof is easy to repair (thank goodness!) and you do need to watch the AC for leaks. It turned out on our AC the sealing tape (Eternabond?) under the trim ring had not had the protective plastic taken off two sides, so of course it leaked! And there was a crack running about 6" on a diagonal in one corner of the AC hole, maybe due to over tightening trying to stop the leak. Other than some annoying little things, I don't believe the PO knew anything about campers and there were some maintaince issues, it's a great unit and floorplan.
    If I may ask, which dealer?

5. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

It's not worth more than $7,500 on a good day, with both mattresses. We're now past Labor Day, so the "good days" for RV dealerships are in the rear view mirror. Good price on that PUP would be in the $6,500 ballpark.

As always, keep your trade-in deal seperate from your purchase deal. One has nothing to do with the other and don't let a dealership suggest otherwise.

Good luck.

6. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that $6,500 would be my ideal. And yes, our trade-in value is separate. I already asked about it. Since my pup is sight unseen (though I mentioned the previous leaks), they presented me with trade-in range, but the high end is close to what another Portal member the advised is wholesale value. I would insist on the high end of their quote, AND a low-end price for the Bayside. Ultimately though, the private owner will make the decision since it's a consignment unit. They sell for $X and the dealership gets a percentage of that.

Interestingly enough, I've seen two Craig's List ads for 2007 and 2008 Utah's for sale, listed at $7,700 and $7,800. I would have loved to take a look, but we need to unload our current pup.

Good to know! This unit does not have AC, which is actually our preference as it's one less thing to mess with and/or cause roof problems. So hopefully, the filon would be fine if we maintain and keep an eye on it. Did the hot-water valve ever give out on your Bayside? I've been hearing a lot about that, and almost wonder if it should be replaced as a preventative measure?

7. friartuck

No it hasn't given us any trouble. But we don't use the water heater every trip, and only run the water heater long enough to get the water hot (use the lowest setting for the water temp - it is HOT!) then I shut of the gas to the tank. The way we use it the water stays hot enough for dishes and cleaning for a day or two, then we start all over. No real need to keep the pilot or burner running if you are not using a lot of hot water.
    It is just the two of us and we don't have an inside shower/potty as we wanted the extra storage so YMMV [:D]
    (I'll get to the PM when I get home - company machines are locked down strangely. I can get to the forum [RTM] and send a PM, but can't open a PM.)

8. dmaxphil

dmaxphil New Member

As of August 31, wholesale trade-in value was $5390 (before adds) and retail before adds was $8030. However, with consignment deals you never know. The previous owner may expect more to make a payoff. By the way, the NADA books just changed so everything dropped in value on Sept 1st.

I agree that $6500 would be an decent number. If this unit came in to my dealership I would put $4500 in it and try to get $6500.

9. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks Phil. Your information is always helpful. It makes me feel like I'm not shooting in the dark. I'm off to look at the potential pup tomorrow (while also having my trade-in assessed in person). I'm hoping it's worth the drive.

10. MIlover

MIlover Member

Nope. Not by a long shot...

In case anyone is still following this thread...

Today I took a road trip (5 hour round trip) to Waters RV, just south of Gaylord, MI. After much discussion with the salesman, I was assured that "yes" this pup was worth the trip, was in "very good" condition and that I would be "pleasantly surprised" by how great it is. I also warned the same salesman that I would be pouring over the pup with a fine-tooth comb, and that I wanted him to be up front about any and all potential issues with it - big or small - before I made the trip. He said he noticed a "surface scratch" on a cupboard door and that was it, and he had done a thorough walk through. Keep in mind, this was a 2008 Bayside priced at $8,200, and I had a target price range of $6,500. I also towed our current pup with me, as they wanted to see it in person to better assess trade-in value.

The jest of it: No way. The pup had been rode hard and put up wet (literally) a few too many times. It was used and abused. A number of the problems I saw were minor, but they all added up to a lot of work, and were indicative of neglect. Some of the issues:

-Dirty. I couldn't believe people were trying to sell the thing. Inside there were dead bugs and leaf bits, lots of dust, a sock under the bed mattress, gunk around the stove, dirty sink, etc. More of the same on the outside - dirty. I would have looked past dirt, but...
    -Rust spots on the canvas above the dinette. Not sure from what.
    -Though it didn't smell, there was a light smattering mildew spots all over the canvas. I suspect is was put away wet at least once.
    -Some damage to the wood on the face of the refrigerator (not scratches, actual splinter/gouge)
    -The ceiling was cut into strips near the door tracks that were peeling away. Didn't look like water damage; I dunno.
    -The plastic covers on the swing-down arms of the stove top/sink, and on the cupboard storage area all had stress cracks, chips and other breaks on them.
    -The drain pipe under the sink was actively leaking. The dealership had hooked the water up for me and there was water and antifreeze dripping into the cupboard under the sink.
    -Several snaps on the exterior of the canvas had the faces of the snaps missing.
    -I noticed that a couple of the lift arms felt looser than the other two. Also, one of them was making a creaking noise in the subtle breeze. Maybe that's normal, but it seemed suspect.
    -Latches on the storage bin were very rusty.
    -The exterior roof of the pup was a dry, dirty yellow. I know yellow comes with the territory of fiberglass, but this poor pup's roof had never seen a coat of wax in its life. The corner caps had recessed looking dark green/grey stuff under the edges (no sign of any sealant).

Another note on the salesman - as I was laying on the ground under the pup with my flashlight (about 30 minutes into my pup exam), he asks what I think. I tell him "Well, there's mildew on the canvas, it's really dirty, there's a leak under the sink, and it's definitely been neglected." He sort of looked surprised, said "Oh" and walked back inside. What an idiot... And, they never did appraise my pup. Before I left, he said "So, it's not what you were looking for huh?" and proceeded to tell me that no one waxes the roof of their pup - as we stand next to my gleaming Jayco. Then he says, "Well, some people do - who like to keep their things really nice - and it's obvious you do."

On a positive note, it was a gorgeous day for a drive to northern MI. And, while this particular pup was in poor shape, I really loved the Bayside layout and storage space! I can see why the Fleetwood/Colemans are so popular. It really did have the feel of higher-quality construction. Now I just need to find one that has been taken care of (not showroom condition, just really good condition!) How hard can it be?

11. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Really sorry to read that it went so poorly. So much for all of my posturing about how dealerships have consistency when discussing trailer condition. I guess all of my advice ended up being worth exactly what you paid for it. Crap.

Try to stay positive and move on to the next one.

Good luck.

12. friartuck

I'm bummed for you MILover. [:(] I was excited to have another Bayside around [:D]
    I'll keep my eyes open too. Keeping checking CL in the metro Detroit area, there are a LOT more pups in Wayne/Oakland/Macomb county than Lansing area

13. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I would think its going to be a good time to buy a PUP soon. Patience will pay off.

14. MIlover

MIlover Member

Cam - Don't be sorry. I think you are right that most dealerships would be honest about the condition - at least the obvious stuff. After all, making a person drive so far for something that isn't per their description, is not a way to gain customers. Your advice wasn't crap; just the salesman I worked with. [:(O]

Thanks Friar. I appreciate the extra eyes. I've been scouring the Internet for 2007 and later Baysides (and Utahs, though I really want a Bayside). There is a 2010 in Illinois...at a dealership...looks pristine in photos - heh. Now, if only I can convince DH. He thinks I'm crazy for having made yesterday's trip! Then again, he has his boat; the pup is my thing.

We do have someone coming to look at our pup today. It would be great if we could sell it privately. If not, I suppose we'll try to enjoy some fall camping.

Thanks for reading my rant!

15. friartuck

It's an ADVENTURE! Heck RV shopping is our 'date night' [:D] ( I believe there's a show at Birch Run next weekend . . . )

16. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I drove from MA to MD when I bought my 07 Williamsburg. Few years ago. When it's the "right one", it is worth the drive!

17. friartuck

18. MIlover

MIlover Member

Good grief. Do you think those are actually photos of their pup, or stock photos from online? I've never seen anything like it. It's like a pup palace! Tempting. Very tempting. However, I've done no research on Starcraft, since I assume they are the same as Jayco. And, we know I have no love for Jacyo...

19. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I had the identical unit- the Starcraft constellation series is when Starcraft was still... Starcraft. My Starcraft was as good of construction as any fleetwood or coleman I have owned, better in a few areas. Solid fiberglass bunks, outside walls, and not a single seam on the roof.

Only things I did not like was that I had to have the slide out halfway and be a contortionist to access the water connections under the slide, the slide out while larger, required the supports which were a pain on a sloped site, and the countertops are known to split behind the faucet (safetylady had the identical camper).

That being said, for that much money (it is well worth it!) you could get a later model fleetwood or coleman.

20. dmaxphil

dmaxphil New Member

Checking in after a long vacation.. Sorry to hear about the wasted trip. Be patient and you will find one you want.