2008 Fleetwood Niagra

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jrclocks, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Thinking about stepping up to a 2008 High Wall Niagara.

Are there any high wall Fleetwood owners that can give me there thoughts on this model?

Any problems with yours? Concerns? Things you love or hate about them?

All help is appreciated!

2. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Love our '05 Niagara. The only thing that would be problematic for me with an '08 is the black water tank as I rarely camp at sites w/a sewer and wouldn't want to mess w/a blue tote.

3. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

I have the 08 Acadia which is the same as the Niagra minus the microwave and counter (has a U shaped sofa instead). We really love ours. We have 3 under 8yo and use the bathroom a lot.

4. pismosufers

pismosufers Proud Parents of a Coastie and Eagle Scout

We stepped up a Niagara in 2009, having sold our '98 Coleman Mesa (similar floorplan to your Sun Valley without the tip out galley). We love our Niagara and have been on more camping trips than ever before. We love the dining slideout, larger frig with freezer, microwave, extra storage space, and of course, the hardwall shower/toilet combo!! It's a heavier trailer and not something you can easily maneuver by hand. Our driveway is sloped and we could push the Mesa around inside after backing in, but not with the Niagara. So, it is stored at a RV facility near our home and now DH keeps his new tow vehicle in the garage. :)

Good luck with your decision and happy camping!!

5. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

You might check to see if the Pilot can handle a high wall...they are HEAVY!!!

6. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Thanks for the input.

Regarding towing capacity, The pilot tows 4500lbs. The max weight on the Niagara is 3900 lbs.

Is this too close?

Opinions...

7. Silverstone

Silverstone New Member

if that is the Gross weight on the niagara, then you'll be fine.

8. cheyo

cheyo New Member

We have an 08 Arcadia and LOVE it.

9. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

We love our Niagra! We have the 2008 and have the black water tank and love it. We are a family of 4 and have camped for 4 nights without emptying the tank. Mostly, we use the campground facilities during the day and the camper toilet at night. We have had to empty the grey water tank into a wheeled tote, but that wasn't really too bad. Dumping as we leave the campground doesn't take long. Love the space the Niagra has and the two king beds are great! Perfect camper for us!

10. General Beluga

General Beluga Member

I tow a 2009 Utah with a 2006 Pilot 4WD rated at 4,500# and feel that I am at or near my max towing limit with that trailer rated at 3,500# GVW. Remember you need to add the weight of any passengers over two as well as air conditioning, supplies, camping paraphernalia, etc. Any option not included in the factory GVW rating must be added to the GVW of the trailer. It is very easy to get at or over your GVW when you add all of the people and supplies you load up. I looked at the Niagra and felt that my pilot would NOT be enough to comfortably and safely tow it, so I stepped down to the Utah. It is always better to leave a reserve of 20% in GVW towing capacity rather than pull at the TV's limit. I would want a 1/2 ton pickup minimum to safely tow the Niagra.

Just my opinion!

John

11. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We have a 2010 Niagara. We love it!. We had a low sided pup [Sea Pine] and traded up. We have had no problem with the black water tank, like another responder, we only use it at night or heavy rain. Each time we used it [three times, having bought it in Oct '10], we had to empty some of the gray water. Our last trip, I bought an adapter that allows me to drain the gray water into a 5-gal container for proper disposal.

The larger fridge, that can be filled without popping completely up is great. We've not needed a cooler.

We went with the Niagara after friends on the portal said that not having to raise the galley makes the need for setting up the shower/potty stall a wash. I think setting up the walls is easier and faster.

12. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

SmilinBeard,

Thanks for the insight!

I'd like to understand the adapter for the 5 gal bucket. We also are stepping up from a low wall Fleetwood Sun Valley and I doubt we'll use the Shower/Toilet at all. It will just be the Kitchen sink. So, I'm very interested in that set up.

If you have a photo, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    John

13. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

John,

In the on-line catalog for my dealer it is called Adapter, Drain 3 inch X 3/4 Inch Hose. When I stopped in to pick it up the salesman called it a 'cheater'. It went for about $5 from them, but yesterday I found one even cheaper at Walmart. It looks like the 3-in bayonet end cap that goes over the outlet to the gray and black water tanks, except it has a 3/4-in male threaded part with its own cap. Remove the small cap, screw on your 5/8 or 3/4 drain hose [mine is the shortest brown garden hose I could find, so I'll never mix it with our drinking hoses]. I empty into a Reliant brand folding 5-gal water container. It takes up little room when folded and has a cap to keep water from splashing out.

By the way, I thought I'd never use the potty or shower. My daughter took a shower our first night in the pup. Clean up was a bit of a problem, but I'm not saying that I would not use it during really foul weather. I'm a firm believer in the potty though. We use it at night, and I probably use it the most. It's nice not having to throw on a coat and shoes several times a night in early spring and late fall.

Another fitting I have that I like is a "dual flush". It is a clear pipe that attached between the outlet from the pup and the sewer pipe, It has a fitting for a 5/8 or 3/4 hose. As you drain your tanks you can see when they are done draining. Then you turn on the hose and a spray of water goes up to flush out the grey or black tank, depending on which valve is open. You can then see when it is flushed, and the sewer hose of course gets flushed as well

14. RonB

RonB New Member

We bought a lightly used '06 Niagara last summer and love it. We have had it out about three weeks and, other than a failed microwave, had no issues. I noticed in your profile and a comment you are planning to pull with a Pilot. Weight capacity is probably OK. My main concern would be wheelbase. Shorter vehicles keep the driver more busy and the Niagara is a heavy PUP.

You will need a good set of mirrors. Even with our 3/4 ton pickup, the roof fills about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rear window view. Air conditioner takes care of a lot of the rest.

RonB

15. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We have a 2008 Niagara now and LOVE it. We are a family of 4 (DD 11, DS 14, DW & myself), we have not taken a shower in it yet, but we all use the toilet. We usually only go camping for 3 or 4 day weekends and 99% of the time I don't have to dump the toilet blank tank until it's time to go home anway. Same goes for the gray tank, but that is most likely because we haven't used the shower. This is staying at Water & Electric sites only, obviously if you are at a Full Hook Up site the size of the holding tanks are not an issue since the 2008 Niagara has a sewer connection just like any TT, 5th Wheel, or Motorhome.

We usually only go to Water & Electric only sites, but the next time we go to a Full Hook Up site, we are going to use the shower.

The Dinette slide out really makes a difference in giving you more "living space", and both bunk ends being King Size is nice. My wife made a 2 piece divider curtain with loops on the top, the bunk near the bathroom is the kids and when setting up we slide the divider curtain loops over the sheppards pole. This gives each of the kids their own sleeping area and the 2 piece divider curtain gets closed in the middle via a velco strip, this way if they want to hang out and play cards or a board game, ect. they just open up the velcro and push the curtains to the side.

The fridge with a freezer is great and has tons of room, the double sink is good sized, the 3 burner stove is nice, and the oven is nice to have when you want to make cookies in the winter. Microwave is great for warming up some leftovers and can be used as extra storage space when not in use. The DSI water heater is a real pain in the @%% to use though.............................. just turn on a switch inside. [LOL]

We have a power roof lift on ours which is really nice to have as well, the AM/FM/CD/Aux stereo is great with 4 speakers (2 inside & 2 outside), since I do practically all the cooking when we go camping, I really like the built in High Pressure outside stove.

I like being able to park it in my garage (it's tight, but it fits), and I like the dual propane tanks on it.

The thing I like the MOST about it though is the fact that the Niagara has MORE counter space than most TT's twice it's box size. I have yet to see a TT, HTT, or even another popup (other than the 16 ft box or similar floorplan models) smaller than 28 FT that has as much counter space.

I would be worried about towing it with a Honda Pilot though, IMO that is not a suitable TV for an 08 Niagara.

16. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

We have an 08 Arcadia and couldn't imagine having anything else. We are a family of six with 4 kids ranging from
    10-21. I love the idea of having the residential style counters and bigger fridge. I opted for the Arcadia because I did not want the built in microwave (I put a small cheapy micro under the dinette bench if needed) now I have the full u-shaped couch that makes out to a twin bed. We havent used the shower yet, but it's there if I want to or need it. Having to empty the grey water tank is no big deal, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    I'm not sure how big the Pilot is, but here is what it looks behind a 2wd Suburban

[​IMG]

17. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Since I don't think anyone else mentioned it, you should know if you don't already that Coleman closed it's factory in Jan. At some point in the future, certain parts will be hard to obtain.

I will be keeping my Bayside regardless. Like the Coleman quality, features, etc. With a few exceptions, most of the parts can be replaced or substituted but there are a few than would be expensive to fabricate (like the bunkend rails). It's just something you need to consider if you haven't already.

18. Pumbaa

Pumbaa New Member

We own a 2006 Niagara and LOVE IT! So much in fact we are thinking about upgrading to and Avalon. But I think the best advice I can give you (as others have) is my concern about the weight. That sucker is HEAVY, you think, oh it’s just a tent trailer. WRONG!!! The local IFA lets me use their scales for free, here is a snipit from my weight and balance calculations;

Standard Empty Weight 3055

then add;

Fairview LP regulator and Hose assembly
    Two 20 LB Propane Tanks (Full)
    Coleman Mach Rooftop Air Conditioner
    Self Storing Canopy
    RVQ Bar-B-Que Grill (removable / weight does not need to be included)
    *Note - Water Storage Tank & Water Heater = EMPTY

New Total Empty Weight (curb weight) 3340

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) 3770

Total Remaining Usable Weight 430

By the time I throw in pots & pans, dish soap, a lantern, some charcoal, rope, etc. That 430 pounds is gone! So, let’s assume you load it right up to the limit of 3970 lbs (according to the 2008 brochure). Let’s also assume that you get the balance a little forward and your tongue weight is right at 15% (3970*.15=595.5). That is almost 600 pounds pushing down on that back of that Pilot (not to mention 2 TONS pushing forward on it). Now, let’s say you put an ice chest, some Dutch ovens, and whatever other gear won’t fit in the Niagara in the back of your Pilot. I doubt the front wheels of that poor Honda would even be on the ground at that point.

From your profile I see you live in Missouri, you have that going for you, flat and low elevation. I live in Salt Lake City, we start at 4200 feet above sea level and go up from here. I pull my Niagara with an F150 SuperCrew with a 4.6L V8. When I head up Parley’s Canyon I start wishing I had a bigger truck with a bigger motor. I know there are people out there pulling around Niagara’s with a V6, I just don’t know how. That being said, if you do it, PLEASE use the electric brakes and some sort of sway control…
    Craig

19. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Our high wall is our 4th pop up and by far the favorite. Ours is older, no gray water tank and cassette toilet. It has all the conveniences of a traditional rv and still has the tent walls we enjoy. Biggest surprise? I did not plan to use the shower, but ended up using it all the time.

20. crdodd

crdodd New Member

We have a 2007 Niagara. It is just perfect for us. We love everything about it. The bathroom is great to have, especially when full hookups are available.

I have a Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 liter, 245 hp, and it works great around Texas. The rating for my Tacoma is 6600 lbs, but I would not want to go heavier than this trailer. Use the electric brakes, and get a sway bar. If you stay close to home, you should be fine. If you want to head to the Rockies, I would be hesitant.

The Niagara is a great camper. I would say go for it.

Good luck with your decision.