2008!Fleetwood Utah

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by CampingCubFan, Aug 13, 2016.

1. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

We are considering a Fleetwood Coleman Utah. It has a built in porta-potty but no shower. No AC -- not a problem here in Michigan. Asking price $600, but many slightly older hybrids can be had for that.
    Utah owners, are you happy with your popup? Enough storage for clothing and food?
    Does anyone have the Cokeman porta potty and do you find it a good option compared to cassette potty?
    Thanks!

2. HondaCrazy

HondaCrazy New Member

600? We have a Coleman with thetford cassette potty, so worth it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I love my Utah. As for storage, well all pop-ups lack that. My Utah has the storage trunk in front. Love this feature. Because I have the couch storage is minimal there, but it does have one drawer and the two dinnette seats can fit some things as well. What I don't like, no floor space when in travel mode. It's a heavy unit, but tows great with my vehical. Best of all storage is cheaper for this vrs a full size hybrid/TT. Now whether you think you would prefer a hybrid/TT vrs popup that depends on your vehical and your camping preference. Myself, I love those smaller away from the crowd spots and really enjoy the mountains. I just did not want to attempt to haul essentially a brick wall threw the small narrow mountain passes. I'm very pleased with my decisions but what I like is different than others. I'm also assuming you meant $6000. Personally I think that is about $1000 too high, and that's assuming it's in good shape, no leaks, solid roof and floor. Good luck with your decision.

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Welcome from Shiawassee County!
    I agree with jmkay1 on the price, at least $1000 to high, especially a unit without AC or the potty/shower. A plus with the Utah/Bayside is there is more floor space when you're popped up then there is in many TTs and hybrids.

5. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

Belated thanks, all. Yes, I did mean $6,000. Typing on a phone is never a good idea for me! I agree about the floor space, easier towing and storage. It does have a built-in potty, but only an outside shower. Still available. I do like the Utah/Bayside floor plan and also the Flagstaff 228D but it's hard to find 'em. Thanks!

6. KiteSquid

KiteSquid New Member

We bought a 2001 Utah this summer and are happy with it. We love the floor plan. The dinette slide out really opens the space up and you're not climbing over stuff to get to the bunks. As noted, the Utah has more room than a lot of hardsides.

The cassette potty has come in handy though we try not to use it terribly much. : ) The exception to that was the campground where we should have paid more attention to the mosquito warning. They weren't kidding!

We use the outdoor shower for quick rinse offs. Most campgrounds have rules about dumping gray water. Still, the shower is nice to have whether it's muddy shoes, sandy beach chairs or bedhead.

We think there's enough storage for two people. With a family, you'll want additional storage - camper caddies, shelving, etc. - for any popup. A family of 5 owned the camper before us and they managed.

We are going through some repairs and maintenance. We bought it knowing that we'd have to repair the roof if we decided to keep it. Gorilla tape lasted through our first trip while we made the decision. : ) That repair process is done.

We have to sew a new awning track cord to the awning.

We added a clothesline under the rear bunk after reading about it here on popup portal and on Popup Princess.

Not sure if you've camped or not, but one consideration is noise. Tents and popups do not filter noise as well as a hardside. Most campers are considerate, but you still get that diesel truck or motor boat powering out at 5 AM. We used the AC fan as white noise.

Wish you the best in your decision. We do not regret ours (ok, just a little grumbling during the roof repair). Looking forward to our next trip.

7. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

Thanks for your replies, everyone. An update: The Utah is still available! I will post a picture if the seller agrees to our offer and we purchase. It could serve our needs nicely.

8. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I enjoyed our Coleman/Fleetwood for awhile but tired with setup and breakdown times. Presently own a TrailManor.

9. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

We have had an 08 Bayside since new. It's is awesome and we giggle every time we use it.

10. tsc

tsc Member

We've got a '09 Utah and love it. The only "real" issue that we've run into was the water pump started leaking slightly at the head. I'm sure a turn of the screwdriver would of stopped it; but it gave me an excuse to replace it with a much quieter unit (which I did).

11. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

I almost pulled the trigger on a Utah, but ultimately settled on the 07 Williamsburg. We preferred having the shower inside and didn't need the extra couch bed. Other than that the two campers are very identical but we are extremely happy with our choice.