2008 Nissan Titan - Mileage & General Q's

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by mrtuba9, Jun 10, 2009.

1. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

Hi All,

Came across a used 2008 Nissan Titan XE 4WD, 4 door, 28K miles for around $20,000. The price seems to be about in the middle of used for the miles. MPG is not great, but I drive short trips. Looks like it can tow up to 9,400 pounds. CarFax says it was a rental, bought by the dealer at an auction.

Just wondering your opinions on the mileage, the origin (auction), anything really.

Thanks!

Bob

2. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

pm BIXLL hes a big titan guy.

3. jtuc1

jtuc1 Northeast Alabama

The man that I carpool with has a Titan. His has the V-8, I think he said it was a 5.4 liter. He says the thing sucks down gas like crazy. About 10 or 12 MPG. He NEVER drives it to work. He has a Toyota 4runner that we alwalys ride in when it is his turn to drive. He said the truck has awesome power, and it great in every other way. He is considering selling it, because he just can't afford to drive it enough to justify owning it.
    Hope this helps with your decision. My wife bought a Mitsubishi Galante that was a rental for a year bfore we bought it. It was a great car and we enjoyed it problem free until someone rear ended her and totaled it for us.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you can get it as a Nissan Certified Pre Owned you will get a big truck with a big warranty.

5. jpohlcat

jpohlcat New Member

I was just looking at the Titans recently and the prices were all in that ballpark (crew cabs) with around 30k-40k miles, but we opted for the Armada b/c of family needs as we were trading in a Nissan Quest. I drive a Camry to work and my wife works from home, so we really just use it for towing the PUP and family trips, so gas mileage isn't much of an issue, plus the mini-van wasn't all that great either. The Armada has a towing capacity of 9,100 lbs, so for all practical purposes it was a truck, just more expensive.

Is the dealer a Nissan dealer? If so, the Nissan-certified should be standard (don't let them tell you otherwise). The cert is for 84,000 miles or 7-years and is basically powertrain with a few other perks. They'll also try to sell you a "wrap" warranty that will run probably around $1500-$2000.

Our dealer tried to sell us the "Nissan-certified" for $1895 (trying to say the vehicle was "certifiable", not "certified" for the list price). We called him out on it and as it turns out the $1895 was for the "wrap" warranty and the "nissan-certified" was already included. Shady sales rep but we did our homework and knew better and felt like we were getting a really good deal on the price (after searching within 200 miles of our house), otherwise, we probably would have walked on principle. Only Nissan dealers can Nissan-certify. We looked at several places for the Titan and in non-Nissan dealer cases we may have considered their additional warranty since it wasn't Nissan-certified; but at 28k miles, you'll still have the bumper to bumper factory warranty to 36k miles and power train to 50k miles, so you'll have some coverage for any "lemon" concerns (if not Nissan-certified).

Another note on the auction (sorry for the long response, we just spent a whole lot of time recently on the same research); most "fleet" or "rental" vehicles will go to auction when they are done, so that is not uncommon and you'll find some of the bigger names (e.g., Carmax) get their cars that way. The con to "fleet/rental" cars is that they are inconsistently driven v. a single owner. The pro though is that they are typically maintained better (daily cleanings, more frequently scheduled maintenance (oil changes, etc.)) So in the end, it just depends on the confidence level you have from the dealer and whether you opt for any additional warranties (if not Nissan-certified), but you still would have some buffer left w/ your remaining factory warranty.

IMO anyways.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would never buy any extra warranty.... other than the factory ones. And it must be the company that made the car. That's the good thing about certified cars. I tell this to many people, but some slick F&I at the dealer will try to float one buy you. Even my own son, buying a new honda 2 years ago. As a dad you have to them do your own thing. Anyway buys an 1900 dollar extended warranty on his new 2007 Honda Hybrid. 17 months later he gets a letter, company went bust. Sorry charlie. Well now dad get involved, called the dealer and got a lot of BS. So I tell my son to bring me all his paper work.(which was still stuffed in the glove box) kids even at 30. In the paperwork, his invoice has the words "Honda extended warranty" on one line, but in the invoice sale column only the word warranty $1895.00. Well guess what, he now has a "Honda" warranty and a 400.00 refund check. Dealer didn't have a leg to stand on and he knew it.

7. my3kids

my3kids New Member

Bob,

Before you pull the trigger make sure the Titan has the optional tow mirrors. Not all Titans have them and very very few Armadas do. They're wonderful mirrors and cost $400 from the Dealer. Also make sure it has the Tow package (which includes the tow mirrors and lower gears and tranny shift mode) because you want the factory classIV receiver hitch and factory 7-wire connector. If you pull something heavy then the tranny shift mode is wonderful. The 5.6 motor has a lot of torque down low so if your trailer is 3000lbs or less and you pull it mostly flat then you can even leave it in 5th gear.

If you have the factory Tow package then all you need is the trailer wire from eTrailer to hookup to your Prodigy P3 brake controller. No pigtails to splice, you simply plug it in underneath the dash. Done and everything works as expected.

08s and newer have the big disc brakes, earlier models did not unless your rotors warped and you complained bitterly to the dealer.

If you get the Titan also look into a front receiver hitch. A front hitch solves many of the "How do I also carry bikes?" questions.

Hope this helps™,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada
    06 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab

8. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

Thanks everyone! Especially Bill, Jesse, Ray,Rusty, Ray, and everyone else. I knew that if I came here and asked the question, I'd get the watercooler answer that I wanted and needed. Like I told Bill, I'm sleeping on it; it seems to be barebones, but nice.

Oh, and did I mention that it is Illinois State University Redbird RED!

That's not my only reason for looking at this one...

Thanks again!

Bob