2008 Palomino Side Panel Roof Rot

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by trumpeter86, Mar 26, 2019.

1. trumpeter86

trumpeter86 New Member

I just purchased a 2008 Palomino Yearling 4102 in excellent condition...or so I thought. After getting it home I started poking around only to find that 3 of 4 side panels on the roof are completely rotted. They are like sponges - wet, dark (sometimes black) moldy wood. Fortunately it did not get to the canvas or appear to spread to the top of the roof. I decided to begin tearing out the rotted wood and so far have the back board removed and have started on one of the sides. The challenge with the side panels is the wood is sandwiched in between the outside wall and a layer of tin on the inside. I had to prop the roof up with a 2 x 4 board clamped in place in order to remove the lifting frame on one of the corners. This allowed me to undo the bolts and scrape the wood out where it attaches. I assume once the old wood is removed I will simply be able to cut a new piece of plywood and glue it in place, maybe use liquid nails? Then hopefully reattach the inner tin. Does anyone have experience with doing a similar project on their own popup? I have read multiple posts on individuals replacing the front or back panels but have not been able to find any threads about replacing the side panels. I know this will be big job but I hope it will be worth it in the end to have a rot free camper!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

I can't help you with any answers to your questions, but I have seen a few posts from folks discussing this very issue. Be patient and you will have people giving you some useful information.

3. NoleFan

NoleFan Member

Will be following this thread, as one of the sides of my 1995 Starcraft 1224 has a small soft spot. The rest of the roof appears to be fine, and I would like to just replace the one side if at all possible

4. trumpeter86

trumpeter86 New Member

During my research I came across a highly detailed post with pictures from another forum that has been extremely helpful!

https://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=92682.0

Here is one other posting that was helpful too.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/my-1996-rockwood-signature-roof-rebuild.103422/

So far on my own popup I have replaced the back board and just last night removed one of the side panels, scrapped off all the rotted wood and am close to glueing a new board back in place. Removing the side panel ended up being easier than I expected. The most time consuming part is removing the old wood. Luckily most of mine was rotted all the way through so I could practically pull it off by hand. The dryer wood required a oscillating tool to scrape and chip it off. Good Luck!

EmilyW likes this.