2009 Rockwood 1940LTD Awning question

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by mrootes, May 11, 2009.

1. mrootes

mrootes 2009 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD

This is our first PUP, so bear with me.

Our 2009 Rockwood 1940 LTD came with awning and a 9 foot screen room.

The awning hangs from the railing above the door. When unrolled, it has 4 legs, two one each corner. Two are square with stake loops that obviously are meant to support the awning by acting as posts .

Then there are two telescoping rods that have plastic ball shape at the end, apparently to go into some type of ball and socket connection. I assume they snap into a connector on the camper up high, near the awning railing to serve as supports?

Well, there is NOTHING on my camper to connect the telescoping rods to. I found a bag with the poorly written instructions which contained what appears to be the female connectors. I guess I'm supposed to screw these connectors to the camper for the awning support rods?

Should I just have the dealer do this, or can I?

Does anyone know about the awning on this model?

2. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

It sounds like you have the same awning that we do....a trim line. Yes, the awning poles attach to the camper with a ball in socket type of attachment. Actually, your bottom poles with the cap on the end can also attach to the camper in the same way (we haven't used our poles to the ground yet and have always put them to the camper). If your brackets aren't installed yet, you should have four of them. Two go up by the awning bag and two go down on the pup.

Why didn't the dealer do this?? I would make them do it since you just bought your pup! However, they put this new awning on ours when we picked up our N2U pup and it took them all of about 15 minutes to attach the brackets so it must not be hard....if you know where to put them exactly. I would make them do it, JMHO

3. mrootes

Thanks Slyspyder

Yes, ours is a Trimline awning.
    And yes, we have 4 brackets total. Unfortunately, they are in the bag and NOT on the camper!

Are you saying the poles that go into the ground can go into the camper as an option? With square bottoms, I don;t see how they could connect to anything.

4. typan

typan "That' just not right"

mrootes, I have the same pup as yours. I also found the bag o parts for my awning. I have 2 of the brackets and the stakes in a little black bag. Now you got me wondering how mines works also. I have not set it up yet. I have 1 bracket installed on each side of the awning bag at the top but no other ones lower on the pup.

So people out there. Do I need to install these 2 other brackets down lower on the pup? I really don't want to take it back to the dealer..3 hour drive each way.. And where do I install them ?

Thank you, Mike

5. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

I own a Flagstaff with a Trim Line awning and had the same problem with my dealer not installing the brackets. I took it back and had them do it. Below are some photos showing where they installed them. I also had some problems with the aluminum brackets where the poles are joined to the awning header after some strong winds. There are some photos on my website of the replacement parts I fabricated.
    [​IMG] Lower right
    [​IMG] Upper right
    [​IMG] Both on right

6. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

Mroots: Just pop off the plastic bottom....just pull it off and you will find a ball connector underneath. You can use the flat plastic part when you want to stake them to the ground....use the ball part when wanting to put it to camper.

7. typan

typan "That' just not right"

Thank you Aslag...I will install in same place. I will double check though before I do to make sure it will work in that position.

8. bruceam

bruceam New Member

Had the same problem with 2000 Coleman Niagara I bought couple months ago. The awning is A & E & had the same 4 poles - two with round balls, but nothing on the side of the roof for them to slip into. After some investigating, I ordered two pairs of the sockets, mounting 1 pair just under the ends of the bags and the other pair along side the roof latches. The ground poles should have plastic feet that slip off, revealling the same balls, so you can secure the feet to the pup side instead on the ground. However in your case I would think it would be the dealer's responsibility. Good luck with your new pup. Bruce [::)]

9. Halister

Halister New Member

yep mine looks just like aslags.

10. mrootes

You guys are awesome! And thanks for the pics aslag.

Yes, my post legs do have the balls under the plastic end covering. I would have never noticed to pull the end caps off...

I see exactly what needs to be done now. I need to install all 4 brackets to the camper. Just like aslags photo shows (or very similar)

I live just under 2 hrs from my dealer so I'm better of doing this myself.

Typan, if you got a screen tent that connects to the awning, the instructions say your support posts need to be on the ground and not the bottom brackets. It looks like you have the two most important brackets already installed at least.

Guys, I can't say enough about how cool this site and its people are.

11. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Unless there is a sealant on the back of those brackets I would put some around each of those screws, if not around the entire bracket, when you install them. Be a shame for water to get in past the screws and rot out the wood.

12. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

The dealer did use a non-hardening type of putty behind the brackets (sockets) on mine. I don't trust those Trim Line ball and sockets to stay attached in moderate winds, they pop out pretty easy. For a more secure attachment I remove one of the screws on the lower socket and using a large enough washer screw the "D" ring that's on the bottom of the pole to the trailer. This keeps the poles secured to the trailer even in some strong winds.

13. mrootes

The dealer told me to put PUTTY TAPE between the bracket and the camper to make a good seal.

I guess I need to drive 45 minutes into Indy to find some at a dealer. ugh