2010 Niagara Lift Part?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by McFlyfi, Aug 3, 2019.

1. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

2010 Niagara electric lift. I went to open the trailer today, and at start up, there was a fairly loud bang. It has happened the last couple of times I've opened it. Lift works functions up and down. I took off the wiffletree cover plate to grease it, and found a broken part. There is some kind of metal bushing riding on the wiffletree screw, as well as a plastic/nylon bushing. The plastic/nylon bushing appeared to be wrapped around the metal bushing. I took the broken plastic bushing out, it appears to be the same size as the metal bushing.
    Is this just a spacer? It doesn't seen to have any effect on the raising or lowering of the top.
    I looked at the parts book for a 2010 Niagara, and there is a bushing listed (#6-21/4" bushing), but these two parts together aren't 2.25 inches. If you add both (metal and plastic) loose bushings to the bushing that is attached to the screw, it might be 2.25 inches.
    I am hoping that this is just a spacer- Can anybody identify? Or define a purpose? @GreyFox

Edit- What appears to be the brass bushing is actually two "washers" (last pic).
    So there are actually 3 parts between the bushing and the cable attachment block - two brass washers and the (now broken) plastic "washer".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Have you read through the lift system repair guide that applies to your particular model?

https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/repair-guides

3. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Yes. I have copies of the parts list, a copy of the repair manual.
    There are no parts listed on the exploded diagram between the bushing and the block in any manual/repair guide that I can find.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You may want to give Canvas Replacements a call 800-232-2079

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Update:
    I emailed colemanpopupparts last week in an attempt to gain some insight on the lift issue. All I got in return was:
    "Sound like you are going to need a new whiffle tree soon.
    We have them on sale!
    Here is the one your camper call for
    https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/whiffle-tree-34-3-4?_pos=1&_sid=3c0ee805a&_ss=r

Pretty disappointing that they couldn't/wouldn't attempt an answer other than selling a new part.

I opened the whiffletree again to day to further inspect the system. The lift works just fine I raised the top enough to pull out the bunks about a foot, ad lowered the top onto the bunks (as described in the repair manual. I thought perhaps the washers were taped into the draw bar, with the plastic one being press fit into the draw bar to hold the group inside the block.
    I pushed the metal washers up against the draw bar- nope, they don't go inside, so that theory is out. The draw bar rides directly on the screw.

I next turned my attention to the upper limit end - towards the back of the trailer. I was looking to locate the coupler and where the shear pin would be if I indeed needed to replace the whiffletree.
    Upon further inspection, there is not only a set of identical washers at the upper limit end, but there is a spacer tube about 4" long. All 4 of these parts are of a larger diameter than the screw, and are "floating" on the drive screw. Hmm, that is interesting.

Between the stop collar at the front of the screw and the stop collar at the back of the screw, the whiffle tree system on my trailer was put together like this:
    stop collar - metal washer - plastic washer - metal washer - draw bar - 4" spacer tube - metal washer - plastic washer - metal washer - stop collar.
    Why would these parts be on this screw, and not mentioned in any parts book? And if I ordered a new whiffle tree (based on pictures) none of these parts would be on it.

So here is my theory:
    Highwall trailers have less tenting than a comparable regular height trailer, because the box is taller. Because of this, the top doesn't need to be lifted as high. I know this is true because my 2003.5 Carmel had much higher tenting, and was/is especially noticeable in the difference in height in the bunkend. There was much more vertical room in the bunkends on a low wall trailer, DW noticed this immediately.

Since the top doesn't need to go as high, the travel of the drawbar along the screw doesn't need to be as long. Since most of the lift parts on these trailers are interchangeable, there needed to be a way to shorten the travel distance of the drawbar without creating a new, differently spec'd screw (expensive).
    Solution:
    Insert spacers onto the ends of the screw. This would effectively (and cheaply) solve the issue. I believe this is why there are not only a matching set of metal/plastic spacers at the upper end of the screw, but the metal tube as well. The metal tube and spacers effectively shorten the upper limit to which the drawbar can travel by about 5".

I don't think there is anything wrong with my lift system, except now the travel limit on the low side is slightly more, as the drawbar can travel slightly longer when lowering. I have operated it several times since the original incident, and have had no issues.

Crossing fingers...