2012 2nd Annual NC Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by jash1178, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

HAVE A GREAT TIME EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

3. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

ARGH !!

both the wife and I planned to get on the road by 4pm, my work wouldn't let me bail early, I I think her spitefully jealous instructor for the class she was taking for work this week JUST let the class go @ 6pm, ( 35min ride home IF traffic is co-operating !) hopefully on the road by 7pm ! ( hour and a half ride to Medoc, no problem...... )

SIGH !

4. rjesarver

rjesarver New Member

Sarvers are heading out! Need to stop and get syrup...

5. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Hounddog asked me if there was a WalMart nearby. In fact, there's one in both Roanoke Rapids and Rocky Mount. From the campground, RR's is closer and easier to get to.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1239&bih=584&wrapid=tlif133614968559810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=walmart%2Broanoke+rapids,+nc&fb=1&gl=us&hq=walmart&hnear=0x89ae10ceb197833d:0xd40c05cffebb35fd,Roanoke+Rapids,+NC&cid=0,0,2581515635672245956&ei=ugakT-WMFsS5iwKuhcWMBA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CAoQ_BIwAw

If you're driving I-95 from the north, it'll be exit 173 (Hwy 158/Julian Allsbrook Hwy) off the freeway. (If you take the wrong turn, you'll go to Weldon.)

There's a fair amount of civilization in that area as might be expected. There's many restaurants and fast food places, a liquor store, a couple of strip malls, a Lowe's all within a few minutes of WallyWorld.

Rocky Mount's Wally is a bit more of a pain from Medoc.

However, the town is larger than Roanoke Rapids and as such, offers more.

6. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Well I have just returned home from this rally and we had a GREEEEEAT time! We got a lot of rain over the weekend but did get beautiful weather for the potluck dinner which was also a success. At the time the rain was not fun, but when I look at the overall picture it will make the memories from this rally even that more memorable. Here is the pics I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those who attended, please post your pics when you get a chance, Also THANK YOU for making this rally such a great one!! [:)C]

7. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

What a blast.....once we got there.

Left the house ( finally [:!] ) at 8pm... arrrived at the gate ( that closed at 8pm) at 9:30 pm.... heh ( explitive) great trip up, no issues, other than the GPS is WHACKED [:O] and has no sense of directional reality.

We pulled up to the locked gate, and sat there for a few minutes, DW is not happy, DD is asking a hundred questions, dog is crossing his legs..... I'm working out plan B .....

OH wait, there is a KOA around here somewhere.... DW looks at me like " We ARE NOT driving another 40mile to a KOA [:(] !!!"

heh heh.... Yes dear.... [;)]

look under "Lodging" on the GPS, " KOA Enfiled " 8.6 miles ( as the crow flies ) SWEET ! by road, it was 14miles. So we headed that direction, tried to call, no answer, just the machine, " Hey, we're on our way there, see ya in a few "
    Got to the KOA Enfield, there are about 6 dark side campers, a van and a car on site that we could see, hey, at least there is room.

went to do the Night registration, CASH only, no check, no credit card... ( she thought I got cash, I thought she did.....) SO, I just picked a spot and backed 'er in, we'll deal with it in the morning, I'm stressed out enough.
    the events following are better left un-documneted as it wasn't pretty ( think Clark Griswald @ Wallyworld, only I didn't get to hit a Moose [:(!] )

Next morning, I felt better, everyone was calmed down went in and "checked in" told the host I was a "bad customer" because I didn't leave a night drop. he agreed, , it was all good. Nice little place, clean ( as most are ) , I chatted with the owner for a bit, real nice guy, has run the place for several years ( over 10 if I remember ). thinking of putting it up for sale and "Really" retiring now.
    The KOA Enfield has just rebuilt the pool and deck area this spring, so we may actually go back for a weekend. we'll see.

So, we packed it all up and headed to Medoc State Park ( again ) rolled in about 9:30ish and parked or mess. and began setting up. the was one small travel trailer in the next site, and they were packing up to leave. other than that, the place was empty.

as we were setting up Netmorin (Jon) came rolling in (thru the out door [?:~{]) and set up on the other side of the loop.

slowly folks started rolling in. several of the Apache cult [8D] rolled in and set up, Evil Monkey (Ross) left his dad to sit and ponder what he had gotten himself into while he went and ran some errands. We made sure Rick (dad) had fun.

The RJESarver clan rolled in, Joanne, her kids and half the neighborhood from home, I thought I heard the Partridge family theme in the back round, but I may have been a little heat stricken... [LOL]

and then.... IT began, the rumble from afar, it's going to rain, [V]

OH, the Lunmara crew showed up with "technology" and a minute by minute weather update (as accurate as any weather person has ever been) Marty says "We're going to have rain for about 35min, and then it'll settle down for a whine, and we may get more.... later" Heh, yeah

it rained, not to bad, lasted about as long as Marty ( Lunmara's DH ) had predicted. we all kind of milled around and talked wondering WHERE Hounddog was, I mean, it is his show after all, right ? ....

about 8:05pm Dkoto ( Davey and crew ) show up and it is just starting to sprinkle again. I told him to get it where he wanted it so we can get him set up, it's gonna pour ( again ) We had his Saratoga set up and dried in in about 5min.

and then it began.....again [{}=] [{}=]. It rained, HARD and rained and rained and rained some more, there was a "lull" I peaked outside.

Hounddog had finally showed up, he had luckily met the ranger [{:)] at the gate as he was closing it about 8:30ish... and sat in his TV for quite sometime after backing in until the rain had subsided enough that he could set up.

he finally got set up about 11pm-ish ( we got over 2" of rain Friday night )

Saturday morning,

The kids, ( Lunmara ) Morgan's twins my daughter, HoundDogs kids and an assorted cast of others whom still remain nameless to me, it was full tilt all out play time, bikes. scooters, balls, rocks, sticks, a hike to the creek to play ( which didn't happen, the creek was now a small river )

No worries, they still found something to do ( I don't know I didn't go ), the kids had a blast, ate a bunch ( rocket fuel? ) and kept going

about 5:30 we all convened on Jason's site ( HOund Dog ) for a gathering of grub and people. Pulled pork, Brats, dogs, grilled Brussel Sprouts [A] various pasta dishes, and fruit. a berry medley, FRESH strawberry shortcake ( I cut the berries, Hollymic mixed the shortbread, Netmorin baked it on his "KEG" [:)O] ) turned out WAY better than I ever expected. I had tried to cook something that resembled "hamburgers" and in some former life they may have been, but ewwww, frozen burgers in a box are GROSS [:(O] !

and then it started....again.... [{}=]this time is was a light drizzle for most of the evening, enough that it would run off weird angles from the awning and soak the nearest person ( ME ).

a lot of socializing, friends made, stories told, lessons learned and a great time had by all !!

Wanna do it again Next month ?

8. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

LOL Blkvoodoo, excellent write up! It sounded WET, but also like everyone had a good time. That's what it's all about, right?![A]

[:D]

10. netmorin

netmorin New Member

It was great meeting everyone. We had a wonderful time despite the weather! I think I'm still full from dinner Saturday night! I look forward to next year.

__jon and kylie

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Glad you had a great time despit some liquid sunshine!!!!!

12. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

13. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

Houndog1178 and crew
    [​IMG]

Houndog1178 himself
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I slept in an Apache last night ! (97Fatboy)
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-
    OMcGZVAv2UY/T6cNKBTOhNI/AAAAAAAABGU/wbVXHxkDLlA/s400/DSCF3226.JPG

this many people can fit in a Coleman Sequoia ( RJESarver and crew )
    [​IMG]

Evil Monkey on the left, Dad ( aka, the guy who burned his fingers making cowboy coffee......) on the right, Thanks for watching my dog !
    [​IMG]

My lil munchkin WIPED OUT !
    [​IMG]

Dog tired !
    [​IMG]

Cornedbeef hash, scrambled egg, 4 cheese, and salsa breakfast burritos ( yeah, they were good ! [:)O] )
    [​IMG]

I thought I had more pictures, apparently I...SQUIRREL !!!!

14. dkoto

dkoto New Member

We had a wonderful time this weekend. Met a lot of great people. Carter our 9 year old said it best "Bummer the weekend is over" Looking forward to the next one.

15. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

All those campers (and the Apaches too!) at what used to be 15 minutes from my house. I'm glad you had a great time.

I kept getting updates from Hounddog.

16. jash1178

Just a quick insight into the future. Steve has said that I can have this as the "official" NC Spring Rally so with that said, I am happy to announce: The 2013 3rd Annual NC Spring Rally will be at Arrowhead National Forest Campground, here is a link:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Arrowhead_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73839&topTabIndex=Search

An official rally logo is already in the works and just like every year I will post the official thread sometime in August or September. The date will be May 17th and 18th 2013. Arrowhead is more towards the center of the state, about 1.5 hours west of Raleigh. OK, just figured I would put that info out there, keep your eye out and thank you all for making these rallies a success! [:)C]

17. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

Arrowhead is a nice campground, in the UWHARRIE National Forest near Troy NC

camp sites are electric only, water available in several places around the loops.

May I suggest making reservations very soon after the first of the year. Uwharrie National Forest is also a very popular OHV rec area ( Jeep, ATV,UTV, boating and fishing) so the sites are pretty popular in the spring.

Jason, you are aware that is Memorial Day weekend for next year ? The park will be swamped with ORV and campers of all sorts that weekend ( making for very dusty conditions if there is no rain )

18. jash1178

Thanks Voodooo, changed the dates to the weekend before. I do not want to get caught up in the holiday crowd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.