2012 coachmen clipper 12v no power

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Kid G, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Kid G

Kid G New Member

My first post, though I’ve read many threads. Thanks in advance. Bought our first camper a few months ago. When plugged in everything works. Nothing works from battery. Had tested. Wired correctly (thick white goes from negative to frame underneath). Found 3 fuses in good shape (replaced and checked anyway), 1 about 6 feet from battery (20 amp), 1 near converter? box (accessed from side panel, 10 amp) and one under sink going to furnace (7.5 amp). Not great with electrical but hoping to solve without taking in. When plugged in everything works whether “120V” switch is turned on or not which I thought was strange. Any things I can try? Thanks! I’ll attach a photo on next thread.

2. Kid G

Kid G New Member

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia
    Your pic is of the fridge controls. The switch marked 120 has nothing to do with your problem, it is just for running the fridge on 120 volts. You should have a fuse real close to the battery. The convertor will house several fuses.
    I would look at the galley switch, it prevents lights from coming on/staying on when the galley is let down

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

A picture of your converter would be helpful.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The panel you show in your pic is fridge control only. Open the face of the converter inside the camper and check the fuses there. There should be a fuse much less than 6' from the battery, did you open the battery box? Is the battery charged?

6. Kid G

Kid G New Member

Thanks you. Yes battery is charged (tested with multimeter). Wires correctly connected (followed ground wire from negative to frame underneath). First fuse from the battery is maybe more like 3’ (not 6’), underneath frame near where ground is mounted. The 2 wires from galley switch showed continuity with sink on top so I think it’s good (may replace anyway). Yeah I though the fridge switch was converter...so I’ll look again (I believe it’s inside near furnace?). Thanks all!

7. Kid G

Kid G New Member

Yeah I’m an idiot. Found busted fuse on the converter inside camper for “battery”...so pretty sure that’ll do it. So to run fridge turn on 120v switch if plugged in, 12v if not? Why would I ever turn on the propane for fridge? Thanks!

8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Because you will kill your battery in less than 12 hours if you run it on 12vdc.
    Propane will (in most cases) get it to run colder than either 12vdc or 120ac as well.

kitphantom and neighbormike like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

12v (for fridge) should only be used while towing - IF your vehicle is wired properly. Use lp or AC at the site.

PointyCamper likes this.