2012 Colorado Flat Tops Wilderness Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by 14erfam, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Hi all- in need of some main dishes for the potluck. SO if you're still undecided- please consider a main dish! I've updated the title post with the most current menu, BUT...

Diane- if you could plan on bringing what venison/meat you have, that would be fantastic. I know it won't feed everyone, but it would be a nice option for some if you're able.

Kitphantom- Could we add the sloppy joes to the chips, salsa and cookies your brining? That would be another nice option for folks even if there wasn't enough to go around.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No problem, we can do sloppy joes, too. Looks like we're now at 20 or so adults and 4 kids.

3. Hotpeper

Hotpeper Member

Hi,

Haven't posted in awhile. Still planning on going.
    Struggling on what to being for potluck. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Alex & Cathy

4. kitphantom

Do you guys want to bring the corn chips or a couple of dozen hamburger buns to go with our stuff?

5. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hi everyone!

This rally is coming up quickly! I'm about as excited as anyone could be about it. *smile*

So lots of things have happened to me lately, yet I still plan on attending. Most recently, I've lost my job due to having missed "more than three days" of work. *New and improved* attendance policy... Had that job for ten years, this month. Missed a few days d/t a non job-related back injury, and those days included hospitalization and a MRI. Still, unexcused absences. I got "written up" and reprimanded, and placed on "notice" that if I missed again, I would lose my job.

So... missed two days d/t the mandatory evacuation of my home during the Waldo Canyon Fire, and d/t the closing of Hwy 24, which links my mountain community to Colorado Springs. Got written-up, and placed on "final notice." Seems mandatory evacuation of one's home isn't an "excusable" absence.

Well, bottom line is that last Friday I was given the option to quit, and told them, "Why would I quit a job I absolutely love?" So they "terminated" me on the spot. Wow... They waited until they had my shifts covered before they let me go. How nice for them.

I'm looking at this as God's way of telling me I need to move on, do something else, go in a different direction. Oh, yes, I cried and cried about losing this job, but ultimately, it's in God's hands, and know this is all for the better, that there's something else God wants me to do. Wish He would hurry up and reveal that to me! *smile*

So I'm still planning on the rally. I do need to get away from everything, let-go and forget about lots of stuff, and then come back home with a new way of looking at things... yes, I'm kinda' going through some changes of some nature... re-assessing what's important in life. Guess we all do that on one occasion on another...

So. See ya's all there! Dunno what I'll contribute to the potluck, but will do something.

Kim

6. kitphantom

Hi Kim -
    so sorry about the job situation. Yes, waiting on God can make me impatient - sometimes I really wish for the large print instructions and revelations written on the wall!

Looking forward to seeing you and Bonnie.

Trying to get ready for the start of our trip next week. I have a couple of small sewing projects to do today. Cleaning, repacking and popping the pup down this weekend. The house/pet-sitter is off at Comic-con for now; she's my honorary niece, so I paid her in advance so she had more $$ for fun in San Diego. (Could not promise that her former cat, who now is ours, will speak to her this time, we'll see.) Found out about the sink-hole north of Leadville, but it should not make much difference on our move to Flat Tops - though the discovery of an old RR tunnel is interesting.

7. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

Holy smokes Kim, if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any. These things tend to run in 3's and I'm pretty sure you have hit the third one. Should be clear sailing from here on out. Stay positive and you're life will change for the better. See ya at the rally!

I'm working on something for the pot luck................I will advise.

8. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

I talked with the DW tonight and this is what we can bring for the pot luck. It won't be enough for everyone but close.
    Green Chili (Hatch, New Mexico) with,
    Elk
    Rocky Mtn. Big Horn Sheep
    Side dish
    Pinto Beans
    Bring you own bowl.
    I'm not sure if the chili's we have are mild or hot................. does it matter? We have made this chili for the past 15 years we just mix up the meat we have available.
    We'll precook the meat, cut up the chili's here at home and will put everthing together on Wednesday and simmer it for most of the day and Thursday it should be perfect. It's always better to do this the day before serving.
    I'll start it this weekend. Hope they get the axle on on my pup or this could turn out bad.
    Fred & Ida

9. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Hello pup friends. Hi ya from sue and otis .Hope everyone is ok.To hear about the fires is so sad, and my sweet friends losing loved ones from their family. Otis and I have had our downs too. Otis suffered a stroke after thanksgiving. He is still having a hard time talking, but he is getting better everyday. He still has a little trouble using the right side of his body. He can't drive or use the the computer, he keeps trying. We won't be at the rally. Me and Harley and Midnight are watching over Otis.

10. Hotpeper

Hotpeper Member

We will plan on bringing corn chips and a couple of dozen hamburger rolls. If we can bring anything else please let us know

11. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Truly- what a miserable summer for so many of you!

Sue -please send our best to Otis for a speedy recovery and let him know you're both in our thoughts and prayers.

12. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Fred and Hotpeper- thank for the "foodies" your bringing to the feast. I think we will eat well!

13. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Sue! Please give Otis a big hug for me! Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery!

We'll miss the both of you at the rally... you'll be in all of our thoughts and prayers.

14. kitphantom

My thoughts are with you sue and Otis.

What night is the pot luck? I wrote Wed. on my calendar, but Fred & Ida mentioned Thursday in their recent post. Either will work, just need to know when to cook, and when Courtenay should be out of the back country (he'll do an overnight backpack at some point).

We can bring paper goods if needed/wanted. We have serving platters, bowls, napkins, etc. from the church trips (we provided them, not the church) and there are plenty left.

15. Mountdream

Mountdream New Member

Greetings! I'm beginning to plan out the trip and I'm thinking about which roads to take get to the campground. I want to take the most direct, and fastest rout while towing the popup. It used to take me 3 hours to drive to the Trappers Lake area, but when I google map it it is telling me 5 hours and 36 minutes from Wheat Ridge (80033)!

I must have been a very fast driver in my youth! [}:)]

Which route are most of us taking? I'm used to getting off 70, just before Eagle, heading north to Yampa, and then east to CR 8. Google maps is telling me that's 200 miles and takes 5 hours and 36 minutes.

There is also a route from 70 to Riffle, north to Meeker and then east on CR 8. That route is 254 miles and takes 4 hours and 50 minutes.

I'm not even going to mention that I get nervous thinking about pulling into a gas station to top off the tank. I hope the gas stations are big in Yampa or Meeker! [PU] [TV]

Any thoughts as to which route to take? This will be our first time towing on 70, and I'm hoping to not be one of those trucks on the side of the road watching the steam rise out of my engine [:O] We usually stick to driving up north or down south.

16. kitphantom

We'll be moving camp from Twin Lakes, so we'll drive I-70. We're planning on going in one way and out the other, so we see the whole by-way. Since we'll be out for a few days before we move to Flat Tops, we're going to exit at Rifle so we can re-stock there, then leave by the other direction at the end of the week.
    I have to admit some sections of I-70 are not my favorite - besides all those trucks, some of the sections to the east of where we accessed it from the Leadville area a couple of years ago set off my motion sickness, which is rare on interstates, so I may be medicated - but DH will be driving. :)

Gas stations can be interesting, especially when they are busy and/or tight quarters. On more than one occasion, I've had to wait for suitable pump access, or just decided to find another station. However, I've always managed to fill the tank, you should be fine.

17. 14erfam

14erfam Member

@ Kitphantom- I think we settled on WEDNESDAY JULY 25 night for the potluck. It seems to catch the most people. However, I'm very flexible with that.

@Muffin- You'll be fine towing on I70- just take your time, go in the morning when it's cooler out. Don't pull the passes over about 3000rpm and make sure you have fresh oil and coolant. To answer the route question: I70 > Rifle > Meeker will be easiest and most paved. Thats why it's quicker. It also allows you to skip two passes on the dirt surface scenic byway out of Yampa (Ripple Creek and Dunkley). Plus which, the campground is closer to Meeker than it is Yampa. This is how we're going.

The route through Eagle is more direct and much prettier- also very passable. But it is much slower with 40+ miles of dirt road and the two afformentioned passes. The camper will be quite dusty when you arrive if you go that way too. But to each their own. The scenic byway is beautiful, and I highly remommend it. But perhaps best done as a day trip after camp is set up.

18. Sal C

Sal C Member

14erfam......I don't notice where the updated menu is ? It's prob right in front of my eyes.

Kim, really sorry to hear about your job. Things happen for a reason. I'm glad to hear that your're still going to the rally. Good time to unwind, relax. Lots has been happening to ya in the past. You sound really strong to deal w/ bad situations, that won't change. C ya soon !!!!

19. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hiya's Sal!

All is well for me. Applied for a job today, and 30 minutes after I left they called me in for an interview. I'll know Monday. *smile*

I am SO looking forward to the rally! Will be nice to enjoy a few campfires (hope we can have 'em!) and visit with friends, old and new... do some fishing... take naps in the middle of the day... ha! Can't wait!

Still haven't decided what to bring for the potluck... the 25th just happens to be my birthday! I'll be *mumble-mumble* years old! WOO HOO!

By the way, I think the "menu" is on the very first post on page one, where everyone's campsite is listed.

Looking forward to meeting you, Sal. And all the other first-timers, too! As well as seeing everybody else again.

Kim

20. Mountdream

Mountdream New Member

Thanks for the road info, 14erfam. We had planned on doing the Yampa way, but after reading what you wrote I think we will take the Meeker rout. I'll suck up the extra 100 miles—I'm not a fan of a filthy camper.

Check-in time is 2pm. If anything is need, please e-mail me through the site and I'll do my best to bring what ever is needed. See everyone there! [CP]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.